Added by the giraffe on 28 Dec 2011 11:45

My 2011 movie year in review

Sort by: Showing 1-50 of 54
Decade: Rating: List Type:
Add items to section

Top films seen per month

People who added this item 1294 Average listal rating (740 ratings) 8.1 IMDB Rating 8.1
January pick

After coming across rave reviews for Mary and Max all over Listal during the course of 2010, I decided I needed to check it out. Simply put, this is one of the best films I've ever seen. Brilliantly written with a perfect mix of darkness and comedy...the characters come off as completely real despite being created out of clay...the adult subject matter handled with intelligence.... It's so true to life, without coming off as pretentious or playing out like a documentary. I enjoyed this movie so much that I've left it in my Netflix instant queue until they either remove it or I buy my own copy (whichever happens first).

See also: Best of 00s

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 2196 Average listal rating (1270 ratings) 7.8 IMDB Rating 8
February pick

See also: Hopes, wishes, dreams... by AgentLexi
and
Classic Terry Gilliam Filmmaking by PvtCaboose91
March pick

See also: Review by JxSxPx

Runner up:
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 248 Average listal rating (105 ratings) 8 IMDB Rating 7.9
April pick

A Fritz Lang masterpiece that deserves more recognition. The performances here are excellent, the story is compelling, and there are some impressive moments of comic relief sprinkled throughout.

See also: Listal 16 Day Movie Meme - jaytoast since he's the one who encouraged me to watch this movie

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1743 Average listal rating (1136 ratings) 6.4 IMDB Rating 6.5
May pick

The performances are top-notch (I especially enjoyed seeing Bruce Willis play against his usual type), the effects/make-up are great, and there were some added touches along the way that I really dug. Good stuff all around.

See also: Best movies of 1992

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1784 Average listal rating (1077 ratings) 7.9 IMDB Rating 8.1
June pick

Easily the best romantic film I saw all year. I got lost in the conversations, caught up in the emotions, & the ending was pure perfection.

See also: Few things the giraffe loves about cinema

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 637 Average listal rating (353 ratings) 8.2 IMDB Rating 8.1
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 388 Average listal rating (221 ratings) 7.6 IMDB Rating 7.8
August pick

From my 2011 pt. 2 list: Of all people, my mom originally recommended this one to me...she rarely watches movies anymore due to her dislike for graphic content and general disinterest in the movies she sees advertised. Anyway, for several years now she's occasionally reminded me that I needed to watch Wait Until Dark, and I've kept forgetting about it. I am an idiot for doing so.

Admittedly the situations are a bit unbelievable, but the dialogue and characters ring true enough throughout and the suspense is so well-done that it's easily forgiven. Alan Arkin's Mr. Roat is now among my all-time favorite villains, and Wait Until Dark has earned a place among my all-time favorite films.

Listen to your mother. ;)

See also: Swingin' films of the '60s

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1453 Average listal rating (817 ratings) 8.2 IMDB Rating 8.5
September pick

Watched after it was recommended to me by AFIoscar. A beautiful love letter to cinema and a wonderful story about love & friendship & growing up. Beyond that it's hard to put my feelings about this film into words, so I'll simply say that you should go watch it.

See also: Best movies of 1988

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 624 Average listal rating (352 ratings) 7.7 IMDB Rating 7.7
October pick

Easily the best film watched during my October 2011 Horrorfest. Thanks goes out to the Listal community in general for bringing the film to my attention, as well as to all the Listal members that created Horror-focused lists in October all of which helped elevate my sense of community here (links provided to each list from my own).

November pick

The story unfolds in a way that's nigh impossible to predict where it's going, every character seems to get an epic introductory scene, the music is phenomenal, the performances are great...yeah, I can't really think of any negatives here. The only reason I've given it a 9 instead of a 10 is because I read up on the film after the fact & found out it references a slew of other westerns. Since I've seen exactly none of the films it references, I'd like to watch some (if not all) of said films before I watch this one again just so I'll have a greater appreciation for what Leone has done here.

See also: West side story. by AgentLexi

Best non-movie:
December pick

The fact that I'm generally not a fan of Christmas movies should say something about my choosing this film as my favorite for December. Of course it was also the only film I watched all month that earned a 10/10 from me.

See also: Pre-1950s favorite films

Hidden gems

Movies I highly enjoyed that few people are likely to have seen (all of these currently have less than 200 people on Listal that have seen them).

Films listed elsewhere that otherwise would have appeared here: The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, Maniac, Anguish, Wait Until Dark, & everything listed in my "Top Docs" section below.
Add items to section

Repertory films caught on the big screen

While I didn't make it out to the theatre for many new films in 2011, I did manage to make it out a few times to catch movies I hadn't seen before from previous years (or else hadn't seen on a big screen before) at Austin's Alamo Drafthouse.

Listed in chronological order of when I saw them.

Top Docs

I saw a fair share of documentaries in 2011. Here's the best of the bunch.
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 111 Average listal rating (81 ratings) 7.3 IMDB Rating 7.8
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 367 Average listal rating (224 ratings) 6.9 IMDB Rating 7.1
Catfish (2010)