Added by johanlefourbe on 24 Sep 2018 12:07
104 Views No comments

A Complete Review of Todd Phillips's work

Sort by: Showing 10 items
Decade: Rating: List Type:
People who added this item 47 Average listal rating (2 ratings) 9.5 IMDB Rating 9.7

this movie has not been released yet...
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 252 Average listal rating (177 ratings) 6.6 IMDB Rating 7.1

Cast : Miles Teller, Jonah Hill, Ana de Armas, Kevin Pollak, Bradley Cooper

What was it about?
Loosely based on the true story of two young men, David Packouz and Efraim Diveroli, who won a three hundred million dollar contract from the Pentagon to arm America's allies in Afghanistan.

My two cents:
I have to admit that I really have a weak spot for this kind of stories and, while the whole thing was nothing really groundbreaking, this tale was pretty wild, awesome and entertaining to behold. Obviously, a lot of it was made up (for example, these guys never went to Irak to deliver some weapons) but it didn’t bother me. Something more disappointing was the relationship between Miles Teller’s character with his girlfriend played by Ana de Armas. Indeed, it is such an old trick to have the girlfriend complaining about the fact that the main character didn’t tell her the truth. Not only it has been done to death before but, above all, it is such a drag. Another issue was that the character played by Jonah Hill, Efraim, was such an unreliable loose canon which was just so predictable. I mean, even though it was supposed to be funny, it was rather annoying that they got busted apparently because Efraim didn’t pay a simple bill. Anyway, even though it was nothing really original, I thought it was quite entertaining and it is worth a look, especially if you like the genre.

My rating: 07/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 840 Average listal rating (511 ratings) 5.5 IMDB Rating 5.9

Cast : Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong, John Goodman, Melissa McCarthy, Heather Graham, Mike Epps, Jamie Chung

What was it about?
When one of their own is kidnapped by an angry gangster, the Wolf Pack must track down Mr. Chow, who has escaped from prison and is on the run.

My two cents:
To be honest, I have never really understood why ‘The Hangover’ franchise turned out to be so popular. I mean, I have to admit it, the concept was decent but I never understood why, if you have a bunch of colorful characters having a very wild night in Las Vegas or in Bangkok, why would you bother show the day after, when all the fun is gone and the guys spend all their time to recover the damages and their senses? Anyway, at least, with this movie, they didn’t completely recycle the plot of the 1st movie but even so I’m afraid it turned out to be even more underwhelming than the previous installment. Indeed, the main issue with this whole franchise is that, even though Alan was supposed to be hilarious, he is in fact most of the time completely obnoxious and, with this 3rd movie, it became so bad that his buddies of the Wolf Pack simply couldn’t stand him anymore and would rather have never met him. As a result, the whole thing is basically about Alan completely antagonizing his so-called ‘friends’ and it was really cringe-inducing to watch. To conclude, it was pretty weak.

My rating: 05/10

Watched Wanted Custom

Cast : Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong, Paul Giamatti, Mike Tyson, Jamie Chung

What was it about?
Two years after the bachelor party in Las Vegas, Phil, Stu, Alan, and Doug jet to Thailand for Stu's wedding. Stu's plan for a subdued pre-wedding brunch, however, goes seriously awry.

My two cents:
Honestly, I wasn’t expecting much from this sequel but since it was again a huge hit at the box-office, I still wanted to check it out. Eventually, it was pretty neat that they went to Bangkok which was a great location but, like everyone else, I was rather underwhelmed by the fact that the plot was just exactly the same as for the 1st installment. Actually, I would say that it shows how limited the whole concept was, even for the 1st movie which I enjoyed but also found rather overrated. I mean, if you have a bunch of colorful characters having a very wild night in Las Vegas or in Bangkok, why would you bother show the day after, when all the fun is gone and the guys spend all their time to recover? I mean, once again, at the end, they show some pictures about the infamous night and, once again, I thought ‘Damned! It would have been so awesome to see that instead!’. At least, the characters were still pretty fun and I was fairly entertained throughout the whole duration but the whole thing still felt like a missed opportunity.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1519 Average listal rating (954 ratings) 6.2 IMDB Rating 6.6

Cast : Robert Downey Jr., Zach Galifianakis, Michelle Monaghan, Jamie Foxx, Juliette Lewis, Danny McBride, RZA, Charlie Sheen

What was it about?
High-strung father-to-be Peter Highman is forced to hitch a ride with aspiring actor Ethan Tremblay on a road trip in order to make it to his child's birth on time.

My two cents:
Honestly, it was pretty obvious what the producers were up to with this movie. Basically, following the surprising massive success of 'The Hangover', they decided to quickly cash-in on the popularity of the new funny guy in town, Zach Galifianakis. In the directing chair, you had again Todd Phillips and as the sparring partner, you had Robert Downer Jr, hotter than ever, so it did sound like a pretty good combo. Unfortunately, I didn't like it much, I'm afraid. Basically, it turned to be some kind of a remake of 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' and even though I enjoyed this classic, it didn't really blow me away. Anyway, this new version didn't add much to the formula and I had really a hard time to care for the whole thing. Fortunately, even though Galifianakis's character was more obnoxious than funny, Downey Jr delivered the goods as usual and saved me from total boredom. There were a few cameos, some totally wasted (Juliette Lewis, Jamie Foxx) and some pretty good (RZA, Danny McBride) but, again, they didn't redeem the whole thing. Anyway, I think I'm being rather generous with my rating but I guess it is still worth a look.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 3797 Average listal rating (2536 ratings) 7.2 IMDB Rating 7.7

Cast : Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Heather Graham, Ken Jeong, Mike Tyson

What was it about?
Three buddies wake up from a bachelor party in Las Vegas, with no memory of the previous night and the bachelor missing. They make their way around the city in order to find their friend before his wedding.

My two cents:
Before watching this, like everybody, I heard many things about it and everyone seemed to agree that it was completely hilarious so I was quite eager to finally check the damned thing. Well, to be honest, I think the whole thing was actually rather overrated. I mean, sure, it was fairly entertaining but I never thought it was seriously hilarious at any moment. I have to admit it, the concept was pretty awesome though and it definitely had some potential for an epic R-rated comedy but I never understood why, if you have a bunch of colorful characters having a very wild night in Las Vega, why would you bother showing the day after, when all the fun is gone and the guys spend all their time to recover from their hangover? Seriously, at the end, when you finally get to see what happened during this wild night, it seemed to be so much more fun than what they actually gave us in this movie. Anyway, in my opinion, it was nothing great after all but, I have to admit it, it is still a decent comedy.

My rating: 07/10

Watched Wanted Custom

Cast : Billy Bob Thornton, Jon Heder, Jacinda Barrett, Michael Clarke Duncan, Sarah Silverman, David Cross, Ben Stiller, Jim Parsons, Jessica Stroup

What was it about?
A young guy short on luck, enrolls in a class to build confidence to help win over the girl of his dreams, which becomes complicated when his teacher has the same agenda.

My two cents:
To be honest, it is a rather obscure flick and the only reason I wanted to check it out at the time was because Billy Bob Thornton was involved. Indeed, I really like this actor and, in this movie, he had some pretty nice scenes but, unfortunately, this movie didn’t have much else to offer, I’m afraid. It's too bad because the concept was actually pretty neat and it could have been a nice R rated comedy. Eventually, even though it wasn’t completely lame, the story was really nothing great at all. Above all, I thought it was rather unbelievable that a cute girl like Amanda (played by the lovely Jacinda Barrett) would fall in love so easily with Roger (played by the really uncharismatic Jon Heder). Anyway, even though I have seen worse, it was a really rather average flick and I don’t think it is really worth a look.

My rating: 05/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1667 Average listal rating (1070 ratings) 5.4 IMDB Rating 6.1

Cast : Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Snoop Dogg, Vince Vaughn, Juliette Lewis, Jason Bateman, Amy Smart, Carmen Electra, Chris Penn, Will Ferrell

What was it about?
Two streetwise cops bust criminals in their red and white Ford Gran Torino, with the help of a police snitch called "Huggy Bear".

My two cents:
Oh man, I didn’t like this movie… I mean, I didn’t have some huge expectations about this flick but even so it ended up being a disappointment. First of all, I really don’t like this trend of taking a respected, gritty TV show and transform it in some kind of big farce. Sure, ’21 Jump Street’ was a surprise success but I’m still rather reluctant to the whole concept. Above all, when I was a kid, I thought that Starsky and Hutch were really badass so I was not really pleased with what they did with these characters. At least, I must admit that the cast was pretty spot on but I really didn’t like the tone of the whole thing. Above all, I thought it was really not funny at all but just only annoying. I mean, if you decide to make a satire, a parody, why not? But, please, make sure that the damned thing is at least a little bit funny! Anyway, I do believe it is one of the worst TV adaptations I have seen (yeah, in my opinion, it is even worse than ‘The Dukes of Hazzard'), it is pretty bad and not worth a look whatsoever.

My rating: 04/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1362 Average listal rating (898 ratings) 6.4 IMDB Rating 7.1

Cast : Luke Wilson, Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, Jeremy Piven, Ellen Pompeo, Juliette Lewis, Elisha Cuthbert, Seann William Scott

What was it about?
Three friends attempt to recapture their glory days by opening up a fraternity near their alma mater.

My two cents:
For many of the actors involved, this movie was where it all really started. Indeed, following the release of this movie, the press created the concept of the ‘Frat Pack’, a nickname given to a group of comedy actors who have appeared together in many of the highest grossing comedy movies since the late 1990's. Anyway, for Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughn, that’s when it all started to really take off. It was also another success for Todd Phillips and, 6 years later, he would even be more successful and get a massive blockbuster with ‘The Hangover’. Coming back to our main feature, I wasn’t sure about the concept, in fact, I thought it was actually rather moronic if you ask me. Indeed, the whole thing about some grown-ups starting a college fraternity did sound pretty stupid. Still, back in those days, Ferrell and Vaughn were pretty much on fire and the jokes were often quite hilarious. Eventually, the main issue I had is that they didn’t dare to go even further and the whole thing remained rather safe and predictable but I have to admit that it is still a decent watch.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1541 Average listal rating (987 ratings) 5.7 IMDB Rating 6.5

Cast : Tom Green, Seann William Scott, Amy Smart

What was it about?
Four college buddies embark on a road trip to retrieve an illicit tape mistakenly mailed to a female friend.

My two cents:
Since it actually has a rather decent reputation, I thought it might be actually a decent raunchy comedy. The fact that I’m not a huge fan of this usually absymal genre probably didn’t help but I was expecting something more after hearing so many good things about this movie. At the end of the day, it was not bad but there was nothing original and nothing I haven't seen several times before. It also always difficult to enjoy anything involving the terrribly obnoxious Tom Green but I have to admit that his movie was actually fairly entertaining. On a side note, it is interesting to note that Seann William Scott managed to start his career back-to-back with ‘American Pie’, ‘Final Destination ‘ and this movie and, even though I might be the first to argue that all these movies were nothing really amazing, they all become eventually some cult-classics. Anyway, I have to admit it, it was actually a decent watch and if you're a big fan of such teen comedies like 'American Pie', you may end up enjoying it more than I did.

Watched Wanted Custom
Since I have finally managed to watch all the movies directed by Todd Phillips, I thought I should make one of these lists for this guy as well.

Enjoy!

Added to

A Complete Review of various directors' s work (56 lists)
list by johanlefourbe

5 votes 1 comment
A Complete Review of various directors' s work
56 item list by johanlefourbe
38 votes 7 comments
A Complete review of various directors' work
8 item list by chandu
10 votes 1 comment
A Complete Review of Michael Bay’s work
14 item list by johanlefourbe
15 votes 4 comments

View more top voted lists