Added by johanlefourbe on 24 Jun 2016 11:48
785 Views No comments

A Complete Review of M. Night Shyamalan's work

Sort by: Showing 14 items
Decade: Rating: List Type:
People who added this item 250 Average listal rating (173 ratings) 6 IMDB Rating 6.8

Unfortunately, I haven't seen this one yet...
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 707 Average listal rating (506 ratings) 6.7 IMDB Rating 7.3

Cast : James McAvoy, Bruce Willis

What was it about?
Three girls are kidnapped by a man with a diagnosed 23 distinct personalities. They must try to escape before the apparent emergence of a frightful new 24th.

My two cents:
Well, even though it was indeed better than 'The Visit' and all the garbage Shyamalan had delivered through the years, to be honest, I still thought it was actually rather disappointing. I mean, it was not bad and there were definitely some good ideas but it was still rather weak in my opinion. First of all, the biggest mistake they made was to add a supernatural angle. With 'Unbreakable', still easily Shyamalan's best movie so far, even though it was dealing with some super-heroes, the approach was actually rather realistic which made the whole thing so interesting to behold. With this movie, it was the other way around, it started fairly realistically but became more and more preposterous. Then, even though they kept talking about Kevin having 23 or even 24 personalities, you get to see mostly only 3 of them which was also rather disappointing. Still, as I mentioned before, there were some good ideas, the concept was really neat and I loved the idea of a movie focusing on a character with so many different personalities. And, of course, you have to praise James McAvoy who was quite amazing and he delivered here easily one of his best performances. Anyway, to be honest, I don't really understand why everybody seemed to be so enthusiastic about this movie, maybe it's because we have been used to get so much crap from this director, but even though at least half of it didn't work for me, I have to admit that it is actually still worth a look.

My rating: 6/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 324 Average listal rating (239 ratings) 5.6 IMDB Rating 6.2

Cast : a bunch of unknown actors

What was it about?
Two siblings become increasingly frightened by their grandparents' disturbing behavior while visiting them on vacation.

My two cents:
To be honest, I find it rather difficult to judge this movie. Indeed, on one hand, it was easily better than the last 4 directing efforts from this director (but it wasn’t something really difficult to pull). On the other hand, it was still nothing really amazing though. First of all, Shyamalan went for one of the the oldest and cheapest tricks in the horror genre, the found-footage gimmick. This way, the whole thing was so cheap that, even if it would completely fail, it would still make some money at the box-office (which it did). Still, I have to admit it, I always had a weak spot for the found-footage genre and, if done properly, it can work very well. No, eventually, what bothered me the most is that, as usual with this director, the whole thing started with a decent concept but it was at the end of the day rather poorly written with some massive plot-holes. For example, I thought it was rather hard to believe that a woman would leave her 2 kids alone with her parents when she hasn’t been in touch with them for 15 years. Seriously, who does that? And, then, Shyamalan couldn’t help it, he had to throw in a twist which was really predictable and underwhelming. In spite of its flaws, I thought it was not bad but maybe I’m being generous with this movie because the previous efforts from this director were just so lame.

My rating: 6/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 638 Average listal rating (426 ratings) 4.5 IMDB Rating 4.9
After Earth (2013)

Cast : Jaden Smith, Will Smith, Sophie Okonedo, Zoë Kravitz

What was it about?
A crash landing leaves Kitai Raige and his father Cypher stranded on Earth, a millennium after events forced humanity's escape. With Cypher injured, Kitai must embark on a perilous journey to signal for help.

My two cents:
What the hell was Will Smith thinking?!? I mean, so far, he had always made some rather smart choices in his career but it is not very often that you will come accross such a misguided vanity project. First of all, why did he choose M. Night Shyamalan to direct this? The guy has one of the most pathetic track records in the business and there was a fair probability that he would mess this one up as well. Eventually, it wasn't one of Shyamalan's worst efforts, I'll give you that, but it was still pretty weak. To make things worse, Smith decided to shamelessly promote his son's career and gave him the lead in this story, no less than that. Well, they got lucky with 'The Karate Kid' which turned out to be watchable, but, here, Jaden Smith was just not convincing at all and his performance was rather pathetic.

My rating: 5/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1195 Average listal rating (758 ratings) 4.1 IMDB Rating 4.2

Cast : Nicola Peltz, Dev Patel, Cliff Curtis

What was it about?
Follows the adventures of Aang, a young successor to a long line of Avatars, who must master all four elements and stop the Fire Nation from enslaving the Water Tribes and the Earth Kingdom.

My two cents:
With this movie, it seemed that Shyamalan was going towards a complete new direction and, even though I was maybe in the minority, I thought that the whole thing actually had some potential. Indeed, even though I never really followed this TV show, I did watch it a couple of times with my kids and, if done properly, it could be turned into an awesome franchise. Unfortunately, the end-result was just terribly weak, underwhelming and frustrating for all the fans of this beloved TV-show. The outcry at the time was so huge that, even though it was quite successful internationally, the planned sequels were just cancelled. Visually, it was not bad but the plot and characters were just really poorly developed. This could be linked to the bizarre decision to adapt a 20-episode TV season into 90 minutes only. Anyway, it was another mess coming from this director and it is considered by many as one of the worst movies ever made.

Cast : Mark Wahlberg, Zooey Deschanel, John Leguizamo

What was it about?
A science teacher, his wife, and a young girl struggle to survive a plague that causes those infected to commit suicide.

My two cents:
In my opinion, it was not as bad as 'Lady in the water' (the worst Shyamalan movie so far) or 'The Last Airbender' but it was not very good either, I'm afraid. I mean, as usual with this director, the directing was decent and it was visually pretty neat but the guy has to seriously stop writing his movies. Indeed, the story just didn't work and, above all, there was again the typical dreadful Shyamalan twist at the end. I mean, with ‘The Sixth Sense’, I already thought this gimmick was lame but, 10 years later, nobody was buying it anymore. On top of that, I have nothing against Mark Walhberg but couldn't they pick up a more believable actor to play a biological teacher ?! To conclude, it could have been nice but it was just plain average.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1341 Average listal rating (871 ratings) 5.4 IMDB Rating 5.6

Cast : Paul Giamatti, Bryce Dallas Howard, Jeffrey Wright, Freddy Rodríguez

What was it about?
Apartment building superintendent Cleveland Heep rescues what he thinks is a young woman from the pool he maintains. When he discovers that she is actually a character from a bedtime story who is trying to make the journey back to her home, he works with his tenants to protect his new friend from the creatures that are determined to keep her in our world.

My two cents:
Before watching this flick, I heard so many bad things about it, so I can't say I was really anxious to see it but still, I was curious. Oh boy! I wasn't disappointed... It is easily the worst movie directed by Shyamalan in my opinion. I have to be honest, the directing and acting were not that bad in fact but the story was just terrible! Try to picture this. You make up a bedtime story for your kids, of course, they love it but actually it is nothing great but your kids love it and that's the most important thing, right? No, wrong! You become a famous movie director and you waste 75 000 000 dollars (that was the actual budget) because you are full of yourself... The best thing is that, for once, at the end, there was no twist this time, which was actually a twist for a Shyamalan movie , when you think about it. Anyway, you wait the whole thing hoping, thinking 'he is going to throw his usual twist and the whole thing would be ...better?!?' but no, at the end, there was nothing, except laughter from my side.... This is a seriously pathetic movie.

My rating: 04/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 3457 Average listal rating (2262 ratings) 6 IMDB Rating 6.5

Cast : Bryce Dallas Howard, Joaquin Phoenix, Adrien Brody, William Hurt, Sigourney Weaver, Brendan Gleeson, Michael Pitt, Jesse Eisenberg

What was it about?
A series of events tests the beliefs of a small isolated countryside village.

My two cents:
What makes difficult to review this movie is the fact that M. Night Shyamalan has now become the laughtingstock of the movie world but we shouldn’t forget that when this movie was released, he was still a promising and highly regarded director. Anyway, many people think that it started to go bad for him with this movie but I don’t agree. In my opinion, it is with the awful ‘Lady in the water’ that his career went down the drain. Until then, all his movies were pretty decent, very well directed, nothing really mind-blowing but usually pretty entertaining. This movie was not an exception. The directing was pretty awesome, really atmospheric which reminded me of Hitchock, there was a pretty cool cast and they all delivered some solid performances. Unfortunately, as usual with Shyamalan, the story was rather disappointing. I mean, it was quite entertaining and it managed to keep me on the edge of my seat until the end but, then, the twist (again!) kind of ruined the whole thing for me. I mean, for the 4th time in a row, Shyamalan ended up the proceedings with yet another half-baked twist...

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 3914 Average listal rating (2638 ratings) 6.2 IMDB Rating 6.7

Cast : Mel Gibson, Joaquin Phoenix, Rory Culkin, Abigail Breslin

What was it about?
A family living on a farm finds mysterious crop circles in their fields which suggests something more frightening to come.

My two cents:
Back in those days, Mel Gibson was still a bankable actor and this movie would be his last hit before he focused on his directing projects and on ruining his public image. Anyway, I thought it was a fairly entertaining story, there is no denying that Shyamalan knows how to direct a thriller and there was a very strong cast. The biggest issue was eventually the ending. I mean, it was all very nice and efficient, especially in building up an ominous mood but they had to provide an interesting climax at some point, not necessarily an explanation (see ‘Inception’ or anything directed by David Lynch), but they needed to end this tale in a satisfactory way and that’s where Shyamalan fails every time, even with ‘The Sixth Sense’. This time again, the ending was quite ridiculous, borderline laughable, and above all, it was yet again a twist ending. It was already the 3rd time in a row that Shyamalan used this trick and his audience was already getting quite fed up with this gimmick.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 2975 Average listal rating (2004 ratings) 6.8 IMDB Rating 7.2

Cast : Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, Robin Wright

What was it about?
A man learns something extraordinary about himself after a devastating accident.

My two cents:
Back in those days, M. Night Shyamalan was considered one of the most promising directors. Personally, I wasn’t really impressed by ‘The Sixth sense’ but his follow-up was really good, the best movie directed by Shyamalan so far, and as a matter of fact, the only one which I thought was actually satisfying. The point is that way before the whole super-hero overdose, he came up with this really gritty and realistic approach on the genre and I thought it was quite fascinating to behold. Of course, the whole thing was not flawless. Indeed, as usual with Shyamalan, even though the directing was very solid, the writing was kind of weak. For example, he would often sacrifice plausibility for some thriller theatrics. Is it really realistic to believe that the main character would become aware of his ability only after a huge train wreck? I mean, you or your family would notice that you are never sick or injured. And don’t get me started with the usual Shyamalan twist... So, it is not perfect but it remains a good flick though, absolutely. I mean, I just loved this ‘super-hero’ who is actually some kind of depressed loser and, in fact, even though Bruce Willis was pretty good, Samuel L. Jackson was actually even better. Basically, he gave one of the best performances in his long career portraying a really fascinating character completely lost in his neurotic obsessions.

My rating: 07/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 2932 Average listal rating (1751 ratings) 5.4 IMDB Rating 5.9
Before becoming one of the most ridiculed director in Hollywood, M. Night Shyamalan wrote this movie which made this feature even more intriguing in my opinion. Eventually, I thought it was not bad at all. First of all, I thought that the CGI was really convincing. I mean, you have to keep in mind that this flick is now more than 15 years old and for the time period, it was pretty good. They also managed to give Stuart Little some personality so that you could care about him and his adventures. The rest of the characters were really stereotypical but it didn't bother me much. Of course, the story was nothing mind-blowing whatsoever but I thought it was decent enough, especially for a family feature.
Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 7147 Average listal rating (4674 ratings) 7.5 IMDB Rating 8.1

Cast : Bruce Willis, Haley Joel Osment, Toni Collette, Olivia Williams, Donnie Wahlberg, Mischa Barton

What was it about?
A boy who communicates with spirits that don't know they're dead seeks the help of a disheartened child psychologist.

My two cents:
I remember when this movie came out as if it was yesterday. At the time, everybody was talking about this movie. Every time you would talk about movies someone would say at some point 'Have you seen The Sixth Sense? Dude, that was just awesome. I was just blown away by this twist ending !'. I have to admit it, I didn't guess this twist before the end but, to be honest, I never felt it was such a strong ending. In my opinion, it was actually rather underwhelming as I thought it was a cheap way to give some supposedly 'deep' meaning to an otherwise decent story. I mean, the directing was pretty good, Bruce Willis gave a decent performance and Haley Joel Osment was definitely impressive but, in my opinion, the concept was actually completely bonkers. Indeed, why doesn’t Malcolm notice that he is not able to connect to his wife, his colleagues or anyone else? Well, simply because ghosts choose to see what they want to see. I mean, come one, what a lame explanation! Just like all the other twists developed by Shyamalan in his next movies, it was a just terribly weak explanation to cover up some major plot holes. The whole thing was basically about a young boy who is completely freaked out because he can see some dead people, which is quite understandable, and somehow, he becomes friend with one of them and this ghost helps him to overcome his fears and to handle his gift. It's too bad because it was actually a really good story and it is a real shame that Shyamalan tricked the audience by making us believe that Malcolm was actually alive during the whole thing. I mean, seriously, what did it really add to the story? Anyway, it is not bad at all and actually really entertaining but, in my opinion, this so-called great twist pretty much ruined an otherwise decent story.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 56 Average listal rating (30 ratings) 5.4 IMDB Rating 6.1

Cast : Dana Delany, Denis Leary, Rosie O'Donnell, Julia Stiles

What was it about?
A 10 year old boy goes on a search for God after his grandfather dies.

My two cents:
A year before releasing his smash hit 'The Sixth Sense', Shyamalan wrote and directed this movie which was barely noticed. As a matter of fact, although released in 1998, the film was actually produced in 1995 which is never a good omen... Anyway, I was curious to see what this director did before reaching stardom so I checked it out anyway. Basically, it is a rather weak family feature, nothing more, nothing less. As usual with Shyamalan's work, the whole thing was rather pretentious and, here, he tried to deal with some serious matter such as God and spirituality but it was pretty weak in my opinion. Above all, I thought the whole thing was rather uninteresting and boring to watch. With his previous directing effort, it would be the only realistic pictures directed by Shyamalan, he will then focus on fantastic/paranormal driven features and I think it was a smart move from him.