Added by johanlefourbe on 15 Mar 2013 10:17
1438 Views 5 Comments

A Complete Review of Christopher Nolan's work

Sort by: Showing 11 items
Decade: Rating: List Type:
People who added this item 747 Average listal rating (503 ratings) 7.4 IMDB Rating 8

Cast : Tom Hardy, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy, Mark Rylance

What was it about?
The film tells the story of the Dunkirk evacuation, which took place at the beginning of World War II.

My two cents:
Well, it seems to be already another box-office hit for Nolan which is even more remarkable since you wouldn't expect a movie dealing with WWII to be able to compete with your usual summer blockbusters. Still, to be honest, I don't think it will be remembered as one of his best movies. I mean, sure, I was glad that he was at last doing something else than a super-hero flick or some high-concept science-fiction thriller, but at the end of the day, even if it looked different, it was still yet another thriller, something he has been doing through his whole career. Furthermore, I have seen my share of movies dealing with this conflict and, even though it was really good, I have seen better to be honest. On top of that, I didn't care much for the mixed chronology and I didn't help that really none of the involved characters was developed at all. Still, from a technical point of view, it was really quite impressive and I have to admit that this movie was just seriously entertaining.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 1882 Average listal rating (1260 ratings) 7.7 IMDB Rating 8.6
Interstellar (2014)

Cast : Anne Hathaway, Matthew McConaughey, Jessica Chastain, Topher Grace, Wes Bentley, Michael Caine, Casey Affleck, John Lithgow, Ellen Burstyn, Matt Damon

What was it about?
An exploration of physicist Kip Thorne's theories of gravity fields, wormholes and several hypotheses that Albert Einstein was never able to prove.

My two cents:
It seems that Nolan's ambition is pretty much limitless as he decided to tackle this time an epic science-fiction feature reaching out for a seminal masterpiece like '2001: A Space Odyssey' and the guy almost pulled it off. I say almost because even though the whole thing was really entertaining, emotional and gorgeous to look at, the story was actually rather shaky and half of it didn't make much sense whatsoever. Above all, with this movie, you finally got a glimpse of Nolan's actual limitations. By now, we all pretty much agree that he is one of the most talented directors at work today but if you want to go all the way and make a really awesome masterpiece like his example Stanley Kubrick, he has to stop to please the average movie watcher by throwing some random action scenes here and there. It didn’t bother me with 'Inception' but, here, it was really obvious and rather annoying. Still, you get here some rather deep thoughts about life, death, love, the relativity of time and space and it was just exhilariting to see a blockbuster at least trying to tackle such ideas.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 3556 Average listal rating (2196 ratings) 7.5 IMDB Rating 8.4

Cast : Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotillard, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Matthew Modine

What was it about?
Eight years on, a new evil rises from where the Batman and Commissioner Gordon tried to bury it, causing the Batman to resurface and fight to protect Gotham City... the very city which brands him an enemy.

My two cents:
Personally, this movie was my top priority for 2012. What is it any good? Yes, it was pretty awesome. Was it better than 'The Dark Knight'? No way... I'm not sure if it was actually even better than 'Batman Begins' but it is definitely a tribute to Nolan's skills that even though it was a disappointment, it was still really impressive. This movie had basically one huge obstacle : its predecessor was near perfect and it was a (near) impossible task to reach my expectations. To start with, there were too many characters. For example, Anne Hathaway really impressed me as Catwoman but she didn't have much to do. Tom Hardy was also impressive and Bane was a pretty cool villain but he doesn't come near the Joker in terms of mayhem and personality. Still, I was entertained throughout the whole thing, it was filled with great actors and the directing was rather flawless which is something we got used to with Christopher Nolan. The first hour was great, probably as good as 'The Dark Knight' and there were some rather emotional scenes, especially the ones featuring Michael Caine who was just heartbreaking. To conclude, we have been accustomed to get greatness everytime around from Mr Nolan and it wasn't that great this time but it was still damned fine but it is really time for him to move on to something else.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 6080 Average listal rating (3926 ratings) 8.2 IMDB Rating 8.8

Cast : Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Ken Watanabe, Cillian Murphy, Tom Berenger, Marion Cotillard, Pete Postlethwaite, Michael Caine, Lukas Haas

What was it about?
A skilled extractor is offered a chance to regain his old life as payment for a task considered to be impossible.

My two cents:
Honestly, it's a real pity that it has lost some of its reputation following the two years of its release. Indeed, the nolanites are so fanatic, they really believe that this movie is the best one ever made which is kind of infuriating when you consider the wealth of movies made during more than 100 years of film history. I mean, I think it is a great movie, the best one released in 2010, but it is far from being the best movie ever made, it is not even near my top 10 at all. So, with all these arguments going on, it is actually rather difficult to objectively judge this flick nowadays. Anyway, in spite of what the lovers and haters have to say, I still think it is a great movie. Indeed, it was visually impressive, there was a great cast, the whole thing was damned entertaining and I just loved the concept behind it. The haters should keep in mind that it is and remains a blockbuster with its creative limitations. As a result, it is supposed to be enjoyed by a broad audience so you can't really accept too much artsy and philosophical shenanigans. On the other hand, I think that the lovers are mostly young viewers who are between 15-22 years old and if I would have watched it at that age, I would probably have thought that it was the greatest thing ever made. There are more movies out there, watch them, as many as possible, and you will see that even though this movie is great, it is probably not the best thing ever made.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 7620 Average listal rating (5007 ratings) 8.3 IMDB Rating 9

Cast : Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Cillian Murphy, Eric Roberts, Anthony Michael Hall

What was it about?
When Batman, Gordon and Harvey Dent launch an assault on the mob, they let the clown out of the box, the Joker, bent on turning Gotham on itself and bringing any heroes down to his level.

My two cents:
Before it came out, there was such a buzz about it and, personally, I thought that the whole thing was seriously overhyped. But guess what? In spite of those huge expectations, Nolan managed to deliver the goods and in a big way. What can I say that hasn't already been said about this movie ? It's just the best super-hero movie out there. Period. It is is rather funny to think that before it was released, 'Spider-Man 2' used to be considered the best in its genre. I mean, Sam Raimi's opus was a decent and entertaining blockbuster, that's for sure, but compared to how Nolan revolutionized the genre with this 2nd Batman installment, it wasn't that amazing. Never before a super-hero feature had been so epic with such a great cast, such awesome action scenes and such a memorable bad guy thanks to an exceptional performance by the late Heath Ledger. To conclude, it is basically already a modern classic.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 4957 Average listal rating (3206 ratings) 7.9 IMDB Rating 8.5

Cast : Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Piper Perabo, Rebecca Hall, Scarlett Johansson, David Bowie, Andy Serkis

What was it about?
The rivalry between two magicians is exacerbated when one of them performs the ultimate illusion.

My two cents:
I just loved this movie so much. I don't know if you follow my reviews or my ratings but I actually never give a perfect 10 at least not since 2000. This movie though was so closed to reach this mythic threshold. I remember as if it was yesterday, the first time I watched it, my head was bouncing through the whole thing and afterwards, I must have had a huge headache. I know, I make it sound as if it was a rather unpleasant experience but the point is that I was completely overwhelmed by its awesomeness from the beginning until the very end. In my opinion, it is actually even better than 'The Dark Knight' or 'Inception' and it is one of my all-time favorites. The story, the acting and the direction were just so great, it was just a really fascinating movie. I also loved that none of the two magicians were really good or bad, they were just completely driven by their obsession and they both lose their mind at some point. Unfortunately, there was one little disappointment for me and it was how it all ended. Indeed, I thought it was very anti-climatic. In my opinion, they should have kept the viewer in the dark, like David Lynch would have done, make us wonder for many years what the hell happened back then. If the ending wouldn't have let me down, it would have been a perfect 10 but, still, it remains a spellbinding movie.

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 7217 Average listal rating (4820 ratings) 7.5 IMDB Rating 8.3
Batman Begins (2005)

Cast : Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Katie Holmes, Gary Oldman, Cillian Murphy, Rutger Hauer, Tom Wilkinson, Ken Watanabe, Morgan Freeman

What was it about?
After training with his mentor, Batman begins his war on crime to free the crime-ridden Gotham City from corruption that the Scarecrow and the League of Shadows have cast upon it.

My two cents:
For Nolan, it is where the whole thing really started. I mean, many people, included me, had noticed him before above all thanks to 'Memento' but, up to that point, the guy was rather unknown to the mainstream audience. Anyway, it was his most ambitious project so far and it was nothing small. Indeed, his mission was to resurrect the almighty Cape Crusader, a beloved character whose reputation had been terribly destroyed following the misguided installments directed by Joel Schumacher. Eventually, this first movie was a success. Indeed, he threw away everything that had been done before and started the whole thing from scratch, with a new gritty realistic approach. Suddenly, super-heros meant serious business and this genre never looked the same after that. Of course, it was not completely flawless. Indeed, Katie Holmes was not really convincing and the 2nd part, when we actually finally see the Batman, was actually weaker than the awesome 1st part when you witness his actual birth. Still, even though it might not be a masterpiece like the great 2nd installment, it remains an awesome flick.

My rating: 8/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 2075 Average listal rating (1276 ratings) 6.7 IMDB Rating 7.2

Cast : Al Pacino, Robin Williams, Hilary Swank, Maura Tierney

What was it about?
Two Los Angeles homicide detectives are dispatched to a northern town where the sun doesn't set to investigate the methodical murder of a local teen.

My two cents:
It is probably the weakest outing for Nolan so far but it is actually far from being a bad movie. Indeed, after impressing a lot of people with his second directing effort, Christopher Nolan got his break in Hollywood and was allowed to make his first studio picture with two big stars, no lesser than Al Pacino and Robin Williams. Many think that Williams gave here one of his best performances and he did indeed a great job, losing his usual hysteria, playing a man who was exactly the opposite: introvert, rather quiet but rather slightly lethal. For Al Pacino, it was one of his last decent performances and since then his career has been filled with some average or even terrible features. For Nolan, like many other directors before him, his first gig was a remake and, as such, it was not completely rewarding but it still was an interesting experiment and even though it is nothing really amazing, it remains a solid and moody thriller.

My rating: 7/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 5136 Average listal rating (3262 ratings) 8 IMDB Rating 8.5

Cast : Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano

What was it about?
A man, suffering from short-term memory loss, uses notes and tattoos to hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.

My two cents:
It is pure and simply my all time favorite movie. It is the only movie I can re-watch without being bothered by the small imperfections. The funny thing is that, when it was released, back then I was living in England, the trailer didn't really impress me but after watching it many many times, I think this movie is actually really amazing. At the end, you are so confused. I'm sure a lot of people are annoyed by this but I just love this feeling. Even though you have more information than Leonard, the main character, at the end, it still remains a big blur. How long has been he on the run ? 1 year ? 2 years ? longer ? How many John D. has he killed ? Was his wife killed or did he made that up ? So many questions remain even if you watch the movies 20 times. I just think it is fascinating and even after multiple re-watch, it still remains flawless. There were even some hilarious bits, funnier than most of the lame comedies I have watched. Of course, there are some plot-holes. For example, with his disease, Leonard shouldn't be aware that he has this sickness and he shouldn't even know what is tattoos or his pictures mean. Furthermore, he always forget precisely at the right moment so that the movie could be properly edited. In my opinion, those are minor flaws though, and to me, this movie is the best one ever made and I just love it.

My rating: 10/10

Watched Wanted Custom
People who added this item 661 Average listal rating (354 ratings) 7.3 IMDB Rating 7.6

What was it about?
A young writer who follows strangers for material meets a thief who takes him under his wing.

My two cents:
15 years ago, Christopher Nolan made this very impressive directing debut which was barely seen when it was released but he sure got noticed. Apparently, like some other notable directors before him like David Lynch or Kevin Smith, he made this flick on a micro-budget with non-professional actors. The shooting of this film took over a year and because all the cast and crew members had other full-time jobs, they were only able to film on Saturdays about 15 minutes of footage until photography had been completed. Personally, I thought it was a rather fascinating plot, about a regular guy obsessively following some strangers. The directing was also pretty solid and the only real weakness would be the acting which was not really impressive but, back then, Nolan didn't have at his disposal such actors like Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Al Pacino or Morgan Freeman.

My rating: 8/10