The Sea Inside review

Posted : 7 years, 2 months ago on 31 August 2011 11:51

"Mar adentro" is a movie through touch on the innermost hearts. I'ts not just any story that makes us reflect on the validity of our own lives. And for the construction of the message are added to the powers of the director, actors, soundtrack, assembly and photography. AmenĂ¡bar is an extraordinary filmmaker. He could really force the emotions of those watching through primary devices that Hollywood is still trying to use (and that Spielberg, for example, dominates like nobody). Instead, he lets the emotional potential of the situations portrayed itself excites the viewer, producing true feelings. Much of it by Javier Badem delivers his best performance in his career. In that sense, what won me over was the fact that Ramon, his character was, at least in the film, an amazing person. Their speeches denouncing a tremendous sobriety and a realistic science of what it means dignity. It is impossible not to empathize with the subject. "The Sea Inside" is a story truly worthy of being known. If I had the opportunity to speak with Ramon, I'd say, "Ramon, friend, I support your decision."

A great movie

Posted : 7 years, 9 months ago on 30 January 2011 06:12

Ever since hearing the good buzz about this flick, I became really intrigued and wanted to watch it very badly. To be honest, so far, I had some rather mixed feelings about Alejandro Amenabar's work. Indeed, I thought that 'Abre los Ojos' was pretty good but nothing really amazing and, in my opinion, 'The Others' was well made but eventually rather underwhelming and therefore quite overrated. Anyway, this time, Amenabar didn't disappoint me, in the contrary, he really blew me away. It might seem morbid but I always thought that euthanasia was a really interesting subject. Indeed, if we are allowed to chose what we want to do with our life, why shouldn't we have the right to choose what we want to do with our own death? So, it is an interesting subject and this movie is definitely the best one about it. The directing was really impressive but I was above all blown away by Javier Bardem. A few years later, he eventually won a Oscar for 'No country for Old men' but I think this movie and his performance in this movie was actually much better. Of course, you can't really compare a banana and an apple... Anyway, it was a riveting story and Bardem gave his best performance (so far). To conclude, it is an amazing and heartbreaking drama and it is definitely worth a look, especially if you are interested in Spanish movies.