A very good movie

Posted : 5 years, 11 months ago on 1 December 2012 10:34

Since I kept hearing good things about this flick, I was really eager to check it out. I always tried to follow Walter Salles' work but, honestly, he never really managed to became a great director. I mean, he made some pretty good movies but he never became one of the greatest and it is pretty much the same thing concerning Gael Garcia Bernal. Ever since I saw this young actor more than 10 years ago in 'Amores Perros', I thought he was very talented and might become one of the most interesting actors of his generation but it honestly never really happened. Anyway, those two guys got here together to tell this tale about Che Guevarra. The most interesting thing about this historical figure is that there is absolutely no middle ground concerning him. I mean, he is considered either a role model, a legendary revolutionary figure fighting for the poor and the underprivileged or a blood thirsty dictator, a torturer who killed many innocent people. I always find this intriguing. Anyway, here, they chose a different approach and decided to tell the story of the young Guevarra way before the Cuban revolution. Personally, I really enjoyed this flick. Indeed, the directing was smooth and Bernal gave, as usual, a very good performance and it was just a rather fascinating story. After watching this flick, it seems hard to believe he became a heartfless killer but it is just a movie after all, not a history class. To conclude, I thought it was really good and I think it is definitely worth a look, especially if you like the genre.

The Motorcycle Diaries review

Posted : 8 years ago on 11 November 2010 10:40

DIÁRIOS DE MOTOCICLETA - Che Guevara (Gael García Bernal) era um jovem estudante de Medicana que, em 1952, decide viajar pela América do Sul com seu amigo Alberto Granado (Rodrigo de la Serna). A viagem é realizada em uma moto, que acaba quebrando após 8 meses. Eles então passam a seguir viagem através de caronas e caminhadas, sempre conhecendo novos lugares. Porém, quando chegam a Machu Pichu, a dupla conhece uma colônia de leprosos e passam a questionar a validade do progresso econômico da região, que privilegia apenas uma pequena parte da população.

Revolutionary tale.

Posted : 10 years ago on 18 November 2008 09:59

Having never read The Motorcycle Diaries which form the basis of this film, I never quite knew how it was going to pan out. I half expected the film to be ladened with an overbearing political message and revolutionary rhetoric, but I couldn't have been more wrong with my prediction. Even without any prior knowledge of the films protagonists, this film is still a thoroughly enjoyable biographical adventure across the flank of Latin America.

Ernesto Guevara is a 23-year-old medical student. Opting out of finishing his final semester at medical school, he embarks instead on a road trip with his biochemist friend, Alberto Granado. Setting off with nothing more than a battered motorcycle and without any food or money to supplement their journey, they are forced to fend for themselves whilst travelling the length of the west coast of South America. The film initially focuses on the youthful sense of adventurism and care-free hedonism which accompanies their trip. Ernesto and Alberto are obviously good friends, and the increasingly outrageous schemes they perform in order to get by without any money provide some hilarious moments.

Set amidst a backdrop of outstanding South American countryside, you can't help but feel envious of their journey and the encounters it brings them. Though as they progress, the duo soon reign in their free spirit after increasingly interacting with the continents poorest civilians. Eventually forced to ditch the bike, Ernesto and Alberto continue the epic journey on foot, which brings them face to face with the crippling poverty and exploitation experienced by the indigenous population. On top of the neglect suffered at the hands of mining corporations and land owners, we see the remnants of the once-great Incan civilisation reduced to absolute poverty despite the cultural importance of their hereditary. The injustices witnessed along the path obviously begin to profoundly effect the pair, particularly Ernesto, who tells of his dismay in poetic letters written to his mother.

Eventually, the pair reach a lepers colony, buried deep in the Amazonian jungle, and volunteer their medical knowledge to help the people afflicted. Ernesto's experiences at the camp, though ultimately happy, profoundly impact on his feelings towards the government, nationality and life in general. He leaves the camp a changed man, before continuing his journey northwards and leaving his comrade in Venezuela. Motorcycle Diaries will do nothing to damage the image of Che Guevara. Throughout he is depicted as a knowledgeable and extremely compassionate human being and considering his future exploits, you can't help but feel that his death was a tragic waste for humanity. Fifty odd years on and with poverty still ravaging the globe, it is easy to see why such an icon has stood the test of time and still enjoys international reverence.

Motorcycle Diaries does not require strong political leanings or ideologies to enjoy. It is just an entertaining and enjoyable adventure laced with moments of good humour and youth energy. I enjoyed it much more than I anticipated.