Balto (1995) review

Posted : 6 years, 7 months ago on 31 December 2012 12:12

Ever since the time of Balto's release, I wanted to see it, but I was 4 years old and couldn't pronounce his name well yet. I eventually caught it, and the truth is, this is Amblimation's best film, so this was the company going out with a bang before becoming Dreamworks SKG. Sure, the movie deviates from some of the facts behind the 1925 sled race, such as the real Balto NOT being part-wolf, which I assume they made him as such to create conflict between him and Steele. But overall, it's a good movie.

My rating: 7/10

An average movie

Posted : 8 years, 6 months ago on 10 February 2011 11:22

Since I kept hearing some really good things about this flick, I was quite eager to check it out. Indeed, it is considers as many viewers as one of the most underrated animated movies ever made so I had some rather high expectations towards the damned thing. Well, to be honest, I really had a hard time to care about this movie and I don’t think I have ever seen such an overrated cult-classic before. Seriously, I thought the whole thing was actually pretty lame. Indeed, everything going from the animation, the characters and the jokes was just really average at the best. Some fans argue that it flopped because it was released around the time as ‘Toy Story’ but I think it is a joke to compare such a timeless classic with this flick. At least, I have to admit it, it was actually based on a rather amazing true story and the whole thing probably had actually some potential but I don’t think they really managed to deliver something really compelling with this. Anyway, to conclude, I really didn't like this movie and I don’t think it is really worth a look, even if you are a fan of animated features like me.