Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019) review

Posted : 1 week, 6 days ago on 7 September 2019 03:06

Just amazing. I just love it in so many ways. It has great comedy moments, as it´s kinda serious in Tarantino´s way. It´s for sure his most mature movie, with a lot of references (maybe too many references). And the end, it´s simply just like during the judgments, "Tex" Watson, Patricia Krenwinkel, Susan Atkins e Leslie Van Houten laughed and mocked the crimes they committed, but Tarantino returned in kind, the chance for everyone to laugh at the killers. Genious!

A good movie

Posted : 3 weeks, 6 days ago on 24 August 2019 07:29

Of course, any movie directed by Quentin Tarantino is always a huge event so I had to see the damned thing as soon as possible when it was released. Well, eventually, I think it turned out to be his most challenging movie so far which is not necessarily a bad thing, in the contrary, but I wish this challenge would have been more rewarding. I mean, I really liked it but it just never left like a real home-run to me. Still, on a technical side, it was just a marvel to watch. Indeed, Tarantino went very far in the mood and the details to create a believable version of Hollywood at the time. On top of that, Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio were both pretty good and I was above all impressed by DiCaprio who gave here actually one of his best performances. However, what the main point was probably the nostalgia that Tarantino has for this time and place but, if you don't share this feeling, well, there are so many references that you will either miss or that you won't care about at all. On top of that, even if it is something you probably should expect from this director, the whole thing was pretty random. In 'Pulp Fiction', you had also such seemingly random mess but every single scene did end up being crucial, which wasn't really the case here. I mean, at some point, you get to see Cliff Booth visiting Charles Manson's commune and, of course, I get that Tarantino wanted to create some ominous atmosphere, but it also felt like a random scene just to give Booth something to do, and, eventually, it led to nowhere. Finally, except for DiCaprio and Pitt, all the other characters were barely developed at all, the worst being probably Margot Robbie who maybe at some decent screen time but not one single line of worthwhile dialogue. Still, I have to admit that I never expected the twist at the end as Tarantino used the same trick he did with 'Inglourious Basterds', rewriting history in the process, but it was actually pretty neat and it worked better this time around. Anyway, to conclude, if it didn't completely won me over, it was still a really bold project, much more interesting than all these remakes, reboots and sequels that you get to see nowadays at the movie theater and the damned thing is definitely worth a look, especially if you are interested in Quentin Tarantino's work.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019) review