A classic

Posted : 4 years, 12 months ago on 23 September 2014 05:43

Honestly, it has been a while since I have this great romantic feature but I will definitely check it out again whenever I get the opportunity. Anyway, in my opinion, this movie is the ultimate romantic-comedy. Indeed, even though I always had a weak spot for the genre, to be honest, most of the rom-coms are actually so underwhelming. The main reason, in my opinion, is that they are usually poorly written and usually focusing on some terrible gimmicks. The great romantic-comedies, in fact, never put the accent on the gimmicks but on the characters and their relationship. This flick does it so well, not only it gives us some really 3 dimensional characters but, above all their relationship was just really sweet, sad, recognizable and pretty often quite hilarious. Following this flick, Meg Ryan pretty much became the queen of the genre with some various amount of success and it's just too bad she pretty much butchered her pretty face with some ill-advised plastic surgery during the last decade. Anyway, there is no denying that she and Billy Crystal had some great chemistry in this flick. To conclude, I really love this flick and it is definitely worth a look, especially if you like the genre.

Loved it!

Posted : 11 years, 5 months ago on 22 April 2008 11:56

"Men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way."

Rob Reiner's When Harry Met Sally is a film that defined the romantic comedy genre. In this day and age we overlook romantic comedies as they populate 50% of the year's scheduled releases. Many have tried to replicate the charm, intelligence and wit of When Harry Met Sally but there are only a limited number that get anywhere close. The film contains some of the most memorable moments and lines that are instantly recognisable. Even if you've only seen parts of the movie you'd be familiar with at least one unforgettable scene because there's far too many to count.

When Harry Met Sally opens as Harry Burns (Crystal) is hitching a ride to New York with Sally Albright (Ryan). The two spend 18 hours in the car so there is plenty of time for chatting and getting acquainted. Unfortunately, Harry is quite the pessimist and is unable to see the good side of anything. This is particularly true when he discusses the topic of men and women being friends.

When Harry and Sally part ways neither of them have a high opinion of each other. Over the next eleven years the two occasionally bump into one another. But eventually the dust settles and they decide to just be good friends. As this close friendship blooms it becomes more and more obvious that they are made for each other. But they are afraid that bringing sex into the equation could jeopardise the great relationship they have already struck up (that took such a long time).

The great script was nominated for an Oscar and there is little wonder. Nora Ephron's screenplay contains dialogue that is witty, funny, memorable and smart. Harry's philosophies particularly stuck out for me. When he discusses the impossible friendship between an attractive woman and a man, I laughed because I realised how accurate he was. I'm sure any guy can remember being good friends with a girl, but occasionally contemplating sex.

The two main stars are in their youth, and hence still in their prime. Billy Crystal's engaging voice breathes life into the Oscar-worthy screenplay. Crystalisms are frequent occurrences throughout the film. Meg Ryan is an actress that I've never thought highly of. I guess her typecast role is in films I have no interest in seeing. But because Meg is so young here she is talented and a delight to see on the screen.

The film is highly predictable at times, granted, but there's a great story filled with moments of romance and lovability.

When Harry Met Sally is the pinnacle of quality romantic comedy. Without this first class comedy romp there would be no romantic comedy genre. Trivia fact: that's director Rob Reiner's mother delivering the famous line "I'll have what she's having" after Meg Ryan fakes an orgasm in the middle of a restaurant. Guys, tip for a date: have this one in your DVD library and watch it with your girlfriend without delay.