An average movie

Posted : 2 years, 10 months ago on 19 February 2016 11:35

Since I kept hearing some pretty good things about the damned thing, I thought I might as well check it out. Eventually, somehow, it did remind  me of 'The Cabin in the Woods' in the sense that the whole idea was to play around with some major clichés  in the horror genre. Fortunately, it was much less pretentious than the 'The Cabin in the Woods' (a rather overrated movie in my book) as it was just a rather silly but pretty effective horror comedy. What mostly worked was Tucker and Dale themselves. Indeed, those guys were really funny and their conversations were really entertaining and much more articulate than you might expect when you see them. It was also a great idea to have the story told from the point of view of these so-called hillbillies. Unfortunately, I didn't care much for the rest of the movie. Indeed, on the other side, the students were barely developed and they were there basically  just to be killed randomly. Furthermore, the way they forced a romantic relationship between Dale and one of the girls was sweet but hardly convincing to be honest.  Finally,  the way all these events unfolded was just really random and rather silly since it was based on some rather boring misunderstanding. To conclude, even though it didn’t completely work for me, it was still a decent watch and it is definitely worth a look, especially if you like the genre.

Bloody Fun

Posted : 5 years, 8 months ago on 26 March 2013 02:25

"Tucker and Dale vs. Evil" is a willfully ridiculous, ridiculously bloody, balls-out and slightly touching film that allows the hillbillies to be the heroes for a change.

Tucker and Dale, far from the chainsaw-wielding, pig-raping rednecks we have come to expect form horror movies and West Virginia jokes, are just trying to have a nice time at their vacation home when out of the blue come a group of college kids who also want to have a nice time... but quickly become an uncompatant lynch-mob over a series of misunderstanings.

The progression of the plot is super simple- somehow, under various circumstances, these doltheads keep killing themselves all around Tucker and Dale's vacation home. Meanwhile, lovelorn Dale (Tyler Labine) harbors a crush on one of the college girls (Katrina Bowden,) while Dale ("Firefly"'s Alan Tudyk) encourages him to believe in himself.

What really matters here are the jokes- delivered steadily and envoking a lot of laughs, the dialogue is one of the funniest in recent indie horror-comedies. The kills are brilliant in their own way, straining credulity to the extreme while still remaining hilarious and entertaining.

I did not know how they did it, but I actually found the romance between bearish, backwoods boy Dale and slim, blonde college student Alison (Bowden) to be believable in the context of the movie. Anyway, it's no less plausible than the college students somehow killing themselves- whether by fire, woodchipper (shades of "Fargo") or tree branch (WTF?!)

But the "Tucker and Dale vs. Evil" has a big, warm, squishy heart at the middle of it, for all it's guts and gore. It also provides a valueable message about not making snap judgements about people, with making the audience slog through the after-school special shit.

Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine give hilarious performances as the two harmless hillbillies at the center of the story, while Katrina Bowden is fittingly likable as the college girl that Dale falls head over heels for. The ending gets a little overly silly, but the movie will have won your heart long beforehand. "Tucker and Dale vs. Evil" is a awesome entry into the horror/comedy genre.

Posted : 6 years, 7 months ago on 17 May 2012 09:20

This movies caught me completely off guard, i at first thought it was going to be another spoof of the ever great B movie slasher/chop'em everyone dies except the geek boy and hot chick, that were best buds until high school. It had all the those pieces....the rednecks, van/bus full of college kids heading to the lake to go camping, final stop gas pump with a bunch of freaks hanging out scowling at anything that moved.
I was totally fooled until I figured out that the entire gang were all half wits and only by pure accident,stupidity and tragic misunderstandings the kids are gruesomely removed from the film. I honestly couldn't stop laughing.
Best part of the movie was when the one dumb-ass fell into the wood chipper, Dale and Tucker covered in red goo holding the bloody clothing, two police officers show up and all tucker said was really office I have know f__king idea why the kid jumped into the damn wood chipper (OK paraphrased)its freaking me out... anyway 100% thumbs up .... funny funny funny... plus your typical chop chop hack hack...

Posted : 6 years, 7 months ago on 4 May 2012 04:26

It seems that a good horror/comedy movie is hard to come by. Between the endless parodies and the recurring jokes that fall flat it is often hard to tell one from the other. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil bucks that trend by actually being funny and pretty well acted.

The basic storyline at first seems similar to The Hills Have Eyes and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. There are a couple of creepy hillbillies and group of college kids on vacation in the middle of the woods. Instead the movie has the likable hillbillies simply trying to deal with the escalating misunderstandings of the college kids.

Unlike most comedy/horror movies this one isn't a parody. Instead of the typical jokes and pop culture references the humor in this movie comes from the situations that the characters find themselves in. It is one of the few movies of this type that actually had me laughing.

Posted : 6 years, 11 months ago on 21 January 2012 06:33

What a riot! This movie has a premise that would make Richard Roeper giddy: two hillbillies named Tucker and Dale (Tudyk and Labine) set out on a fishing vacation in their wilderness cabin only to be mistaken as bloodthirsty killers by college kids, who take matters into their own hands when their friend is “kidnapped” by the pair. It’s one unfortunate misunderstanding after the next, with each hilarious mishap building on the next. Watching the dim-witted duo try to piece together their mystery is a gas, and I was roaring at how the college kids misinterpreted every innocent action by Tucker and Dale. While it sagged at times in the middle and the main “villain” is apt to overact, I found the chemistry of the three leads endearing and the dialogue surprisingly clever. This under appreciated gem will definitely have a cult following, and it deserves it!

Posted : 7 years, 6 months ago on 3 June 2011 08:43

some great ideas one liners and comedy moments. the group of kids act so thick that it dose make the film very daft.. but on the whole a funny kind of horror.