An average movie

Posted : 1 month, 2 weeks ago on 1 December 2018 02:03

Since this movie has a really strong reputation and since it is considered as major cult-classic, I was quite eager to check it out. Well, to be honest, even though it was indeed an interesting watch, I still had a hard time to really care about the damned thing. Basically, this movie was half-realistic and half-cartoonish and even though this mix might have been done on purpose, I'm afraid it did really work for me. For example, one thing that bothered me was that all these gangs looked rather ridiculous. Sure, someone might argue that that's what the outfits of the New York gangs looked like back in those days (I doubt it though) but, as a result, it was rather hard for me to take the whole thing seriously. And, of course, as pointed out by many critics at the time, most of these actors involved didn't remotely looked like some actual gang members. Eventually, even though they tried to make the whole thing seems gritty, it was never gritty enough for me. Still, I did like the simple structure of the story, the way these guys are stuck at the other side of the city and how they have to spend the whole night trying to get back home in one piece. In my opinion, hte main issue was this movie was that it tried to be, at the same time, realistic and entertaining but eventually it failed to be either. Anyway, to conclude, even though it didn't really work for me, it was still a decent watch and it is worth a look, especially if you like the genre.

Cult classic

Posted : 11 years, 11 months ago on 15 February 2007 04:51

I first saw this as a very young boy and it left a lasting impression on me, I was desperate to see it again for years!

It's a cult classic, there's no doubt about it. There is no other way to attribute its success. The acting is absolutely dire in places, but the bombastic storyline and hilarious costumes are just about enough to win you over in the end. The characters are very memorable, as are the different gangs which roam the streets and the final scene is perhaps one of the most memorable in cinema history!

Seeing The Warriors strength dwindle throughout the film is a real shame as you really start to empathise with these kids, but it heightens the sense of relief you feel when they finally make it back home. It's amazing how calming a bit of sunshine is at the end of the film, as a new day breaks and all of the past nights tribulations are over. Classic (and very camp) gangland action!