The Paperboy

Posted : 9 months, 1 week ago on 13 November 2018 03:59

I know you could say this about every Lee Daniels movie but what the hell was The Paperboy? Daniels’ films are frequently hot and bothered, highly pulpy explorations of important topics, ones that give in to a Dallas/Dynasty-like veneer of sleaze and suds more often than not, and The Paperboy is no different. From the constant parading of Zac Efron in tighty whities to Nicole Kidman’s trashy woman, from David Oyelowo’s misplaced gravitas to the vision of Matthew McConaughey hogtied and naked, The Paperboy is an excess of shock wrapped around a limp narrative.

Imagine a John Waters filmed stripped of self-awareness and kitsch and you’ll come close to the sensationalist obtuseness on display. There’s allegedly a story somewhere in the titillations, but frankly it’s nowhere near as engaging or hilarious as say, the sight of watching Kidman and John Cusack publicly bust a pair of nuts in front of everyone. I’m not sure how that scene was supposed to be received, but I haven’t laughed that hard in quite some time. Then he turns around and films scenes of domestic abuse, gang rape, and other salacious topics with a dead seriousness that cause tonal whiplash in-between the sun-soaked raging libido and glistening tumescence of the rest of the film.

The real reason to watch The Paperboy is simply for Kidman’s completely committed and bonkers performance. No task is too outré, no scene off limits, and she hungrily attacks her character like a feline predator. Her hair piled upon her head like a low rent Brigette Bardot, her makeup and clothing orbiting tacky, Kidman is nearly unrecognizable foremost, and it’s a heady reminder that for all of her movie star glamour and posing she’s best in dark character parts. All of this, and a scene where she urinates on Efron’s prone body after a jellyfish attack? Goddamn, find me another Oscar winning actress who’d be willing to go so gonzo, I dare you.

The Paperboy review

Posted : 2 years, 10 months ago on 28 September 2016 02:16

See this cult trash pic for the acting and the fearless audacity of director Lee Daniels. Not an easy movie to watch, very disturbing at times but ultimately a rewardingly ballsy piece of cinema. Nicole Kidman and John Cusack turn in tour de force peformances, as well as an impressive Zac Efron. It's sweaty, it's dirty, it never shies away from the material and delivers probably the most intense non-contact sex scene in cinematic history. The beach scene will also induce cringes and laughs in equal measure. Daniels peppers the proceedings with pure 1970's B-movie bravado, right down to the grainy film stock and off-kilter camera angles. In terms of retro-style, it made me think of Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects, in terms of story and setting I was reminded of Deliverance, Southern Comfort, and even Wild At Heart. All in all, kudos to Lee Daniels for pushing the envelope and giving us one hell of an experience.

The Paperboy review

Posted : 5 years, 7 months ago on 10 January 2014 04:54

I loved this movie. The personages are really interesting, principaly Charlotte Bless. I was impressed with Zac Efron, he did a good job! The story was well desenvolved,and Lee Daniels was incredible, I loved the way he directed it. The maid enchanted me, I can't understand why this movie has a low grade.