The Goonies review

Posted : 3 years ago on 30 November 2015 07:50

It baffles me why people view The Goonies with affection. It's an insufferable film. Utterly charmless.

The Goonies review

Posted : 4 years, 6 months ago on 30 May 2014 08:40

You guys, I'm hungry. I know when my stomach growls there's trouble.

The Goonies is a wonderful adventure tale set to thrill kids and without of a doubt my favorite kids movie of all time sorry Toy Story. Every time i watch this movie i get such a nostalgia rush, i remember watching it all time when i was young its one of those movies that you can watch over and over and never get tired of it. Honestly though im not even sure how many times I've watched this movie i would have to say that its between this and The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King for the most times I've watched a movie but if i had to put a number on it though id have to say over 100 times. Richard Donner has always been one of my favorite directors with such films as Superman (1978), the Lethal Weapon movies, and Scrooged, he was one of the directors who's movies i watch a lot of growing up. Now i know people will disagree with me but i think The Goonies is his best movie.

The movie follows a group of four young friends who live in the "Goon Docks" and call themselves "The Goonies" Mikey (Sean Astin) the leader of the group, Mouth (Corey Feldman) the smart aleck, Chunk (Jeff Cohen) the funny fat kid, and Data (Jonathan Ke Quan) the groups macgyver. They all are in danger of losing their homes and the only way to save them is to pay a serious amount of money which none of them have. Bored and sad they decide to go looking around in Mikey's dads off limits attic for 'rich stuff' they soon stumble upon a really old treasure map which was once the property of the pirate One-Eyed Willie's. Mikey tries to persuade his friends to go looking after it but they don't seem all that interested, eventually the group decides to go looking for it while disobeying Mikey's older brother Brand (Josh Brolin) rule to stay inside.

From here we see the group of friends find their way into One-Eyed Willie's cavern filled with tons of deadly booby traps but not before catching the attention of a criminal family the Fratellis that now after capturing Chunk know all about the treasure. The craven part is where most of the movie fun comes from, it feels like a more childish Indiana Jones which i know some don't like i on the other hand loved it. Seriously though What did they expect did they not know that Spielberg wrote the story for it kinda hard not to know seeing that his name is the first one to pop up on screen. The group having had a few encounters with the Fratellis at this point finally out run them and find there way to One-Eyed Willie's hidden treasure where they load up with as much gold, gems, and pretty much anything else they possibly can get their hands on only to be caught by the Fratellis and forced to hand it all over to them. The group makes a getaway when Chunk with the help of Sloth(the Fratellis disfigured brother who they horribly mistreat) come to save the day. Mikey still sad they didn't get any treasure forgets that he put some gems inside his marble bag and when his family's maid looks through it she flips out and gives it to them so they don't have to leave to Goon Docks.

Overall i give it a solid 10 my score might be skewed for this movie but like i said i used to watch it all the time when i was a kid and loved it but also the fact that its based in Oregon my home state. I was actually in Astoria (the town the movies based in) just last week and went up to see the house and area for the first time and i absolutely loved it. Oh yeah watching it on Blu Ray was a trill in itself just to see how great the movie looks

A classic

Posted : 4 years, 11 months ago on 9 January 2014 05:46

Basically, it is one of those movies which somehow I never watched when I was a kid but since I kept hearing some good things about this flick, I really wanted to check it out and I had some rather huge expectations. Eventually, I thought it was a fun and entertaining kids flick but not much more, I'm afraid. Furthermore, with the title, somehow, I was expecting a fantasy feature but, obviously, it was something entirely different. Anyway, pretty much like 'Big', another 80's classic, I think I would have I enjoyed it more if I would have watched it back then when I was a kid and I'm pretty sure that the people who really love it are still fond of it above all out of sheer nostalgia. Indeed, in my opinion, even though the young characters were quite fun, they were still rather shallow. Of course, you could argue that since it was a family feature, I shouldn't take it too seriously but, personally, I think there is no reason why a children movie shouldn't have any depth whatsoever. Still, it was pretty neat to see such actors like Sean Astin or Josh Brolin when they were so young and they must have had a blast while working on this flick. Anyway, to conclude, even though it wasn't as great as I was hoping for, it is still a fun flick, a classic from the 80's, and it is definitely worth a look, especially if you like the genre.

Entertaining children's adventure saga!

Posted : 10 years, 5 months ago on 21 June 2008 01:13

"Goonies never say die!"

Remember when Steven Spielberg's blockbuster adventure hit Raiders of the Lost Ark was released? Since that film got its theatrical release, filmmakers have incessantly endeavoured to achieve an adventure movie in the same vein as Indiana Jones' classic adventures.

The Goonies is also from the mind of Steven Spielberg (who produced) and it is essentially an Indiana Jones-style outing for the younger generation. Many kids will have fond memories of this one. Looking at reviews and the opinions of others, it's clear that The Goonies has always been held in high regard. It's destined to be a favourite when you're 5-10 years old and are seeking adventure with the protagonists instead being a bunch of kids. This film has everything that a kid could want - adventure, danger, treasure, cool gizmos, and bumbling bad guys. Revisiting this as an older individual you'll still find your nostalgic memories but unfortunately it also opens your eyes to the countless flaws that emerge frequently. Even with these flaws included, you'll pick up numerous gags and laughs that will keep you entertained.

The film follows a set of interesting child protagonists who call themselves 'The Goonies': Mikey (Astin), Brandon (Brolin), Mouth (Feldman), Chunk (Cohen), and Data (Ke Quan). The home that they have known and loved for years is set to be demolished to make room for a golf course. The only way the contractors will back off is if the suitable money is produced, which seems highly unlikely. Understandably, the five are pretty bummed and start wallowing in a state of depression. On a whim they decide to go rummaging through the (out-of-bounds) attic and subsequently stumble upon an ancient treasure map that apparently pin-points the location of a stash of buried treasure that formerly was the possession of pirate One-Eyed-Willie. Needless to say, the five members of The Goonies see this as a great adventure and a possible opportunity to raise the necessary funds to save their home. Driven by the thought of paying off the foreclosing banks, they embark on a quest to uncover the ancient treasure of One-Eyed-Willie. They soon get entangled with the Fratellis: a bunch of criminals currently being hunted by the police.

Throw in a perilous pursuit, booby traps, high adventure, an octopus (almost!), dazzling treasure, a one-eyed pirate skeleton, falling boulders, an amazing waterslide, a few skeletons, and a buccaneer fight aboard an ancient pirate ship...and voila - you have The Goonies!

The film is suitably and collectively entertaining for all age groups. However, the film plods tremendously and far too often! The script doesn't help - being a film for the kids you can certainly expect a bunch of clichés to surface...every adventure film cliché in the book as a matter of fact! Because all the troubles are set up in the first 20 minutes, we can predict how it will end. Yes, go by your impulses and suddenly the film is an unnecessarily long (110-minute) adventure. Indiana Jones remains on top in terms of high adventure as this is basically more for the kids, hence more room for clichés and less room for intense moments of peril. Still, despite this dash of predictability the film is loads of fun.

The cast are absolutely wonderful. It would take forever mentioning all of them, so I'll just say that as a whole they correctly fulfill their jobs. In a historical sense, it's terrific to see young versions of now successful actors. Yes, we have the likes of Sean Astin and Josh Brolin!

Overall, The Goonies is the best an adventure film can get for the kids. The production design is expansive and holds up well in modern days. I admire the old-school sets and effects that are generally missing from modern adventure movies. The film also mixes some strong directing and an exciting score that is suitably majestic. The film continually plods and is suitably clichéd, but at least it will entertain of an evening. Indiana Jones still cannot be topped...but this comes convincingly close.

6.5/10

Hey, you guuyyyys!!!

Posted : 11 years, 10 months ago on 27 January 2007 10:08

Admittedly, this is my favorite movie of all time.

Why's that? Sure, you could go with The Godfather, or Citizen Kane, something artsy and influential, but what kid didn't want to go an adventure like this after finding a treasure map with their buddies so they can have one last hurrah and save the neighborhood?

I know I wanted to be Mikey back then, and I still watch this movie quite often. If you ask, there are a lot of closet-case Goonies lovers out there, you know who you are.

Fully equipped with boody traps.

Best movie of all time

Posted : 12 years, 7 months ago on 28 April 2006 02:09

this is the best movie of all time!!