An average movie

Posted : 5 years, 1 month ago on 26 January 2015 03:10

Honestly, it has been a while since I have seen this movie and I should probably re-watch it at some point to make up my mind for good about the damned thing. Obviously, Woody Allen has always been famous for his comedies but, a very few times in his career, he did try to make a drama and this movie belonged to this group. It is usually considered a rather minor work which might have had to do with its rather convoluted production. Indeed, Woody Allen shot the whole thing once, edited it but since he didn’t like the end-result, he rewrote the entire script, recast virtually all the characters and re-filmed the whole thing. Obviously, this had a huge impact on the budget which was pretty much doubled and since it was apparently his lowest-grossing movie, Woody Allen said it his biggest financial disaster (with ‘A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy’). The weird thing is that Allen was willing to do the whole thing a third time again. Anyway, coming back to the movie itself, it was pretty much a rather gloomy chamber piece filmed like a play but, in spite of the strong cast, it never really took off. To conclude, even though it might be a minor effort, I still think it is worth a look, especially if you are interested in Woody Allen’s work.