An average movie

Posted : 2 years, 12 months ago on 27 May 2016 07:54

Even though this movie was a commercial and critical flop, since I really loved ‘Ted’,  I still wanted to check it out. Unfortunately, I’m afraid the whole thing really deserved its poor reputation as it turned out to be rather underwhelming. On paper, it did sound promising to have Seth MacFarlane working on a Western this time but it just didn’t really work, I’m afraid. For some reason, they decided to mix this Western setting with a typical romantic-comedy plot which was odd but not necessarily a bad idea. Basically, it started to go south as soon as the main character started to speak with some modern English and it then strongly reminded me of ‘Your Highness’ and even though the end-result was not as lame as  for ‘Your Highness’, it was not much better, I’m afraid. Furthermore, most of the jokes were rather pathetic and you should know you’re in trouble when half of your jokes are about farting (which was obviously a nod to ‘Blazing Saddles’, the most famous Western comedy ever made). I did like the idea that there was nothing actually really cool about the Frontier, that it was a terrible time and place to live but this concept was rather poorly developed. To conclude, I was seriously disappointed by the whole thing and I don’t think it is really worth a look.

Posted : 4 years, 6 months ago on 8 November 2014 01:49

He tried. But McFarlane was going for too much comedy to build a very interesting plot. I think he thought the comedy would fill in the gaps, A talented cast was really wasted here. There were four or five laugh out loud moments. Other than that, a very forgettable experience. I think McFarlane is more capable than this.

Posted : 4 years, 11 months ago on 16 June 2014 08:08

I am pretty much a big fan of Seth MacFarlane and will give any of his works a chance. Although it seems to me that Family Guy has kind of been losing its touch. There are a lot of big name actors in this which I think gives it a plus with some unexpected character cameos. The humor may not be for everyone, but people who enjoy Family Guy, Ted, and other works of his would definitely enjoy this. I do agree that the shooting gallery at the fair wasn't very tasteful, but racist jokes are one of the things that you should expect from Seth MacFarlane. There were some things I was a little uncomfortable with seeing, but that didn't make this any less enjoyable. It was more enjoyable to me than Ted was though as it had more to offer. The death scenes they did show were pretty funny and messed up. The ending was perfect.

Posted : 4 years, 11 months ago on 2 June 2014 04:20

I would seriously recommend that no one spend their money to go see this in theaters i did and i completely regret it now you should just wait till its out on Blu ray or Netflix. Now i didn't see Ted in theaters but i ended up laughing quite a bit when i finally got around to seeing it so i thought that id give it this a watch because the trailers looked funny but the movie was just awful and a waste of time. What's even worse is that the movie ruins its all star cast with having Seth MacFarlane take the acting lead for the first time and he fails miserably. I'm saying this right now no one should ever compare this with Mel Brook's western comedy classic "Blazing Saddles" because this film is complete garbage on every level compared to that movie.

The movie follows Albert (MacFarlane) a smart-aleck sheep farmer living in 1882's deadly Arizona and after his schoolteacher girlfriend Louise (Amanda Seyfried) leaves him for the towns "fine suits and mustachery" man Foy played by Neil Patrick Harris. Albert sets out to win her back and in the process becomes friends with a new stranger in town Anna (Charlize Theron) unaware that she is the wife of the notorious ruthless outlaw Clinch Leatherwood (Liam Neeson) who was severely underused. It's plot wouldn't be so bad if the movie wasn't so tedious and if Seth MacFarlane wasn't the lead personally i wish he could have one to die in the many many deaths this movie has to offer. There is also a side story dealing with Albert's best friend Edward (Giovanni Ribisi) and his soon to be wife Ruth (Sarah Silverman) the towns highly known prostitute, their story happened to be more funnier than the main one and was really the high light of a movie full of flat jokes and annoying Seth MacFarlane and with a title like "A Million Ways to Die in the West" i chuckled no more then a dozen times. Seriously though this made me rethink about the quality of humor this guy produces after seeing this woefully unfunny western comedy.

Overall i give it a 5.0