An average movie

Posted : 3 years, 6 months ago on 30 April 2015 09:11

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this movie but since there was a decent cast, I thought I might as well check it out. Eventually, I thought it was seriously underwhelming. The main issue is that it was supposed to be a comedy but there was hardly a really funny scene throughout the whole thing. I mean, even though I'm far from being a huge fan of Rowan Atkinson, I have to admit that the guy can be pretty funny but, here, he was just playing a boring pathetic loser who was not hilarious at all. On one hand, it was nice to see him playing a character straight instead of his usual gimmick with either Mr Bean or Johnny English but the end-result was unfortunately really underwhelming. To play his wife, you had the lovely Kristin Scott Thomas who gave the best performance as usual but she was really struggling with this poor material and it was really difficult to believe that this woman would end up married with this tedious fellow. On top of that, the whole angle of the murderous mother coming back to mess up with their life was just really poorly developed. To conclude, even though the whole thing had some potential, it was pretty weak and I don't think it is really worth a look.

Keeping Mum (2005) review

Posted : 8 years, 7 months ago on 12 April 2010 02:18

Oh my. Aren't you a busy bee?

A complete blast. It was amusing to see Professor Minerva McGonagall (or at least, the actress who plays her) as a cold-blooded killer who calmly disposes of people who hurt her and the people she loves.
Gloria Goodfellow (Scott Thomas) is experiencing quite a life. Her husband, Walter (Atkinson) is the reverend in their sleepy little village, her neighbor's dog keeps giving her hell every morning with his incessant barking, her daughter Holly (Egerton) is having sex with different boys, and her sex life seems nonexistent. Furthermore, she's having an affair with her golf instructor, Lance (Swayze). Things couldn't look any bleaker - until their assigned housekeeper, Grace Hawkins (Smith) arrives and turns Gloria's life and the lives of her family members topsy turvy. Years ago, a young woman known as Rosie Jones (Fox) was arrested for killing her husband and the woman he was having an affair with. So what's the connection? Well, you'd better watch this film to find out. :p
Loved the comedy and dark humour in this film. It was subtly hilarious, that you had to find the punchlines in the dialogue. Smith and Scott Thomas certainly hammed it up, and I was thrilled to see that Atkinson was still funny in his own way. Twas a nice surprise to see Swayze in the film as well, and he certainly lived up to his character. A few sex jokes knocked in, but I loved how Smith was able to rebuff some of them. Definitely a must see.

Movie which is unfunny

Posted : 10 years, 9 months ago on 20 February 2008 12:19

Keeping Mum is just a movie which was not funny it stars an old granny killing people either cause her daughter is sick of them or for various reasons. Rowan Atkinson plays not a really good part the whole movie is funny and just unfunny.

solid comedy

Posted : 11 years, 8 months ago on 21 March 2007 09:46

fine british homour about a murderous granny.