Posted : 1 year ago on 14 November 2018 08:24

Terrible. Un asco la victimización tan simplista y forzada que se le da al personaje, haciéndola sUfRiR, como pobre cachorrito, por bullys unidimensionales.
Además, ¿cuál fue el punto de todo esto? Esto es sólo para que los patéticos adolescentes se auto-inserten en un personaje, creyéndose "especiales" por aguantar las pendejadas de terceros.

An average movie

Posted : 2 years, 8 months ago on 21 March 2017 08:44

Before this movie was released, there was a decent buzz about this movie and many hoped that it would become the best adaptation of Stephen King’s famous book. Unfortunately, just before it was released, it was apparently butchered by the studio (allegedly , they would have removed up to 45 minutes of footage) and it was pretty obvious when you watched the damned thing. Indeed, the whole thing felt rather out of balance and while the prom scene took at least a 1/3 of the whole running time, there was barely any development of the characters. Above all, I wish they developed more Carrie White’s background. Indeed, at the beginning, you only get some awkward volleyball game to set up her situation and her relationship with her classmates. Well, it was simply not enough to explain why she would be considered as a freak by the whole school. I mean, she seemed to be a lonely girl but not much more than that. Anyway, to be honest, even if this movie would have been longer, I’m not sure I would have really enjoyed it. Indeed, after reading the book and watching 2 movie adaptations (1976 and 2013), I still don’t think it is one of the best stories written by Stephen King. Anyway, at least, Chloë Grace Moretz was not bad at all to (at least, she was an actual teenager), Julianne Moore was a great choice to play the mother and the iconic prom scene was still quite impressive. To conclude, even though it felt like a failed opportunity, I guess it might still be worth a look, especially if you like the genre.

Carrie Me Away from Moore Julianne

Posted : 4 years, 10 months ago on 21 January 2015 01:06

The only truly scary aspect of the movie is the acting of Julianne Moore and Judy Greer. Chloe Moretz, however, plays it at a level King and Spacek would respect. Overall, not a half-bad remake.

Posted : 5 years, 3 months ago on 18 August 2014 11:29

Carrie não faz cara de deslumbrada, não faz cara de assutada. Chloe Moretz não sabe fazer a inibida, não tem ingenuidade suficiente. Em nada se compara à força de Sissy Spacek. Triste.

Posted : 5 years, 8 months ago on 8 March 2014 08:28

I actually really enjoyed this Carrie remake more than I thought I would. It even sticks more closely to the book. It has a pretty interesting cast that includes Julianne Moore, Chloe Moretz, Judy Greer, Alex Russell, Barry Shabaka Henley, and several Degrassi actors. Julianne Moore kind of reminded me of my best friend's crazy, religious, psycho mom. I thought it was better to have a girl who was actually closer to the real age of the Carrie character. No guys we didn't need the nudity from the first one haha. Anyways I really enjoyed this one. I recommend giving it a shot.

Not a bad remake, I quite enjoyed it

Posted : 5 years, 8 months ago on 22 February 2014 09:29

I haven't seen the original version which was based on the novel by Stephen King, the famous horror story writer. Kinda simple and plain story, but very good. Better than modern gore movie on teen subject. Well remade movie from the director of 'Boys Don't Cry'.

Recently I have not seen any good horror so this movie gave me what I was expecting from this genre, a watching satisfaction. I know many people did not like it, but my horror movie taste is vastly different from most of the movie buffs so I like it better than them.

Julianne Moore and Chloe Moretz were good as usual. They had main roles in the story and a couple of others had a decent one. For Chloe it is a good progress, gives an opportunity to learn herself from different character from different genres.

A little explanation was needed about the story before the first scene commence. It confuses a bit about daughter's psychic powers. It is no more 70s you know, people think very broadly in all the angles about what they see. The end was good, but like said, opening should have explained well. I think we can expect a sequel, maybe a prequel.

This is not everyone's cup of a tea. Only a few people like me will like this movie and others give as usual logic explanation for following the critic's path.

Posted : 5 years, 9 months ago on 1 February 2014 05:38

Carrie remake review

I have not seen the original Carrie in a LONG time. But I went ahead and watched it. First off, the acting is not too good. The woman that plays the coach is VERY bad. There is one scene where the coach and the lead mean girl are fighting, in which it is poorly written and acted. Also a poor choice for Carrie. Overall, the film does not meet the quietly of the original and has a little bad acting

6/10

Flawed in ways difficult to ignore

Posted : 5 years, 10 months ago on 13 January 2014 07:20

"The other kids, they think I'm weird. But I don't wanna be, I wanna be normal. I have to try and be a whole person before its too late."

Following in the shadow of the Evil Dead update, 2013's Carrie is neither as terrible as one might have anticipated, nor as brilliant as it had the potential to be. This is not the first time that Stephen King's 1974 novel of the same name has been adapted for the screen, as Brian De Palma produced a cinematic treatment in 1976 and there was a TV movie in 2002, hence this new iteration was a golden opportunity to produce a fresh realisation of the source book. Alas, this Carrie plays it safe, rehashing De Palma's movie with contemporary digital effects and only a few minor changes here and there. Nevertheless, it's a credit to those involved that it still works to some extent, even if it's not as memorable as the original feature which spawned it.

An awkward 18-year-old girl, Carrie White (Chloë Grace Moretz) is an outcast at her high school, struggling to fit in with the other girls as she's mercilessly bullied by popular snob Chris (Portia Doubleday). Carrie's home life isn't much better, as her deranged fundamentalist mother Margaret (Julianne Moore) perceives her daughter as pure evil. With the school's prom approaching, Chris' former friend Sue (Gabriella Wilde) begins to regret bullying Carrie and hopes to make amends by urging her boyfriend Tommy (Ansel Elgort) to take her to prom and give her a memorable night. Although Carrie is suspicious of Tommy's motives, she agrees to his invitation. However, Chris, who's banned from prom by gym teacher Ms. Desjardin (Judy Greer) as punishment for her behaviour towards Carrie, begins plotting to ruin Carrie's night, unaware that the meek girl has recently discovered that she has telekinetic abilities.

At the helm of this Carrie is Kimberly Peirce, who also directed the outstanding Boys Don't Cry in 1999. Given her pedigree, Peirce was an inspired choice for this endeavour. After all, while King's novel and De Palma's original movie remain solid pieces of work, Peirce had the potential to bring something new to the table since she's a female, and would be able to provide a more authentic feminist interpretation of the story's proceedings and thematic undercurrents. But alas, aside from a few creative instances of symbolism, Peirce does not take full advantage of the opportunity, instead predominantly rehashing what's already been done. Nevertheless, Peirce and the writers do a decent enough job of modernising the story. The current atmosphere of bullying is captured here, with teens now able to use their mobile devices to capture acts of humiliation on video and share them with the world. Likewise, Carrie is able to research her powers on the internet. These little inclusions are nice, hence it's a shame that the filmmakers seem too afraid to majorly deviate from the template already set by King and De Palma.

Carrie feels fundamentally PG-13 across its first two acts, but all hell breaks loose for the climax, when Peirce is given the opportunity to realise Carrie's gory rampage using contemporary special effects and the freedom of an R-rating. However, while the climactic mayhem is pretty enjoyable and there's a certain satisfaction inherent in seeing the bullies get their comeuppance, it's pitched at the wrong tone. See, whereas Sissie Spacek's Carrie was in a trance-like shock while feeling out her powers during the climax of the 1976 film, in this remake Moretz is seen honing her telekinetic skills before her killing spree. Thus, as she walks around striking Magneto-like poses, the gory extended set-pieces comes across as calculated and evil, as she sets out to murder people and has time to ponder her actions before she does it. There's not much emotional resonance here as a result, and there's no real sense of tragedy, reducing the finale to a special effects demo reel. And even then, there are missteps. For instance, the moment in which Carrie is doused in pig's blood is replayed from different angles three or four times for no real reason. And a lot of the bloodletting is achieved via glossy CGI that's at times unbearably artificial. Practical effects would be far more suitable for this type of production, especially in the wake of the all-practical Evil Dead remake.

Amusingly, while most American films try to pass off 30-year-old actors as 18-year-old teenagers, Moretz is a 15-year-old playing an 18-year-old, and she actually looks believable. However, while the actress acquits herself admirably in the role, she's miscast due to other reasons. See, Moretz is just too naturally beautiful and charismatic to embody the role of Carrie. One supposes she's meant to be a new interpretation of the role, but according to the script, the staging, the story, her dialogue and everyone else's dialogue, she's apparently still the same pathetic, vulnerable Carrie from the 1976 film, which is completely dissonant to Moretz's on-screen performance. The script says she's a weakling, but she's clearly capable. And while the movie says she's freakish and a prime target for bullying, she's every bit as good-looking as the girls who bully her. This is another example of why further updating the story would've been beneficial.

Fortunately, the rest of the supporting cast fare better. Julianne Moore is genuinely frightening as Carrie's unhinged mum, delivering a completely unflattering performance for which she commits to the material with complete abandon. Also in the cast is a very appealing Gabriella Wilde as Sue, while Judy Greer is genuine and sympathetic as the well-meaning gym teacher. Other members of the cast hit their marks effectively, most notably Portia Doubleday who's convincing as the hugely spiteful Chris.

Carrie is not terrible by any stretch, as its handsomely slick presentation helps to keep it afloat and there are a number of scenes which genuinely work. Although the script is inconsistent and in need of a thorough polish, the build-up to Carrie's rampage is consistently interesting, and there are sufficient moments of terror throughout to prevent the film from being a total bust.

6.3/10

Posted : 5 years, 10 months ago on 8 January 2014 01:30

This show how the anger inside of us can make a deference, Like a volcano which is silence, but when pissed off, can destroy a town.