A good movie

Posted : 6 years, 7 months ago on 15 February 2013 12:02

I already saw this movie but since it was a while back and since I have it on DVD, I was quite eager to check it out again. Well, I'm really glad I gave this flick a second look. Indeed, the first time around, even though I eventually enjoyed it, I thought it was in fact nothing really mind-blowing and I was actually rather disappointed. Fortunately, I finally understood this flick. Basically, what bothered me the first time around was that the whole thing felt rather pointless but, in fact, it was actually pointless by design. Indeed, most road-trips are dealing with some usually rather far-fetched quest and, at the end, the main character always gets a clear answer, positive or negative. Well, even if it might result occasionally in some fine entertainment, I'm afraid that's not how life works and that's why this movie, this anti-roadtrip, was about. Indeed, at the end, the main character didn't learn much about himself and this journey didn't have such impact on his life, in spite of what his friend was hoping for. Indeed, Winston seemed to be fascinated by detective stories and would like to believe that Don Johnston should definitely find out the 'truth'. In fact, Don Johnston, even he didn't want to admit it, would like to believe that there is something else or someone waiting for him out there somewhere but, again, life doesn't work like that. Finally, I was also to able to appreciate his interactions which each character, even the most minor ones. What I believe is that the guy had always been fascinated by finding out what was a woman's specific story. Indeed, each woman is at first a mystery and that's something that always intrigued him. However, with each old flame he met during this journey, the mystery was pretty much gone. In fact, at this point, Johnston was pretty much done with this chasing but, unfortunately, that's pretty much the only thing he knows. Anyway, to conclude, even though I really liked the damned thing the 2nd time around, to be honest, I still don't think it was really amazing though. Still, it is definitely worth a look, especially if you are interested in Jim Jarmusch's work.

Broken Flowers review

Posted : 9 years ago on 12 September 2010 09:05

Eipä elokuva ole lähelläkään herra Jarmuschin kärkipään elokuvia, mutta silti leffana erittäin viihdyttävä. Jäi myös olo, että uudelleen katsominen voisi avata elokuvasta uusia puolia. Murraysta täytyy sanoa, että mies esitti taas sen "saman roolin" kuin aina ennenkin.

Broken Flowers review

Posted : 12 years, 1 month ago on 12 August 2007 09:00

Despite being one of Bill Murray's biggest fans, I have to say I was disappointed with this film. Everybody knows that Murray is a king of subtle humour, but the director takes this way to far for this film. Murray sitting washed up and lonely on his settee is remotely funny the first time you see it, but this film seems to rely on this shot several times, for almost a minute each time. That's just milking it I feel.

I enjoyed his visit to his first wife, it's the typical eccentricism you expect to see in an indie film really, but from then on the awkward silences that plague every visit he makes to women from his past become less and less funny and tolerable. Like Rollo, I would just describe this as lazy film-making.

I think your opinion of Jeffrey Wright may influence your enjoyment of this film. If you don't like him, steer well clear of Broken Flowers.

Stop milking Murray

Posted : 12 years, 7 months ago on 21 February 2007 08:25

Bill Murray is one of those actors who can be funny without even opening his mouth, but directors are really starting to milk this too much. I'd rather not have to endure three minute shots of Murray sitting tight lipped and upright on a sofa every time he dons his indie-head. The transitions here were clumsy and over-long. This is the laziest film-making I've witnessed from Jarmusch. The plot didn't take me anywhere worth journeying to and left me with more questions than I had going in. BrokeN Flowers only saving grace is the ever impressive Jeffrey Wright. No second watch for me.

Broken Translation

Posted : 12 years, 9 months ago on 22 December 2006 09:52

In the spirit of Lost in Translation, Bill Murray rekindles his role as he searches for the woman that potentially mothered his son. Broken Flowers boasts some subtle humor and engaging mystery as we follow Murray through his past but the ultimate ending left little resolve and more questions than answers.