A good movie

Posted : 1 year, 10 months ago on 20 January 2017 11:36

I remember it very well when this movie was released, I must have been 14-15 years old at the time and I went to see the damned thing in the movie theater. Back in 1994, Jim Carrey, who was up to point a struggling actor for at least a decade, became instantly a huge star after releasing 3 big box-office success in one single year (‘Ace Ventura: Pet Detective’, ‘The Mask’, ‘Dumb & Dumber’).  In France, for some reason, they released ‘The Mask’ before ‘Ace Ventura: Pet Detective’ so I saw it afterwards. Anyway, even though I did prefer ‘The Mask’, this movie was also quite entertaining. Indeed, this material was maybe seriously idiotic but it worked very well with Carrey’s over-the-top routine. Through the years, Jim Carrey would wisely avoid the sequels following his starring vehicles and he did pretty good since they were all terribly underwhelming (‘Son of the Mask’, ‘Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd’, ‘Evan Almighty’). However, it did make an exception for this movie as he showed up in a sequel released just a year after making the 1st installment. Anyway, to conclude, even though it wasn’t a masterpiece whatsoever, I thought it was a decent comedy and I think it is worth a look, especially if you like Jim Carrey’s work.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective review

Posted : 8 years, 4 months ago on 26 July 2010 07:28

As a London Pet Sitter I love the way he deals with pets. I wish it was that easy

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective review

Posted : 9 years, 11 months ago on 31 December 2008 06:42

This is one of the movies that i grew up on. ever since i was about six, i would watch this movie along with several others when i was growing up. This has to be my favorite jim carrey comedy movie. i love just everything aobut this movie. as some one said before me who i didn't take the time to read all the way because it was way too damn long, Ace Ventura is a textbook example of who an original comedy should be made, not like today's mediocker (can't spell) comedies such as knocked up and american pie. in the third scene, this tells you , or at least it should have told you, that the reast of this movie was going to be hilarious: "Ventura." "... Yes Satan? Oh i'm sorry sir, i thought you were someone else." That is just freaking hilarious i don't care who you are, where you come form, or what you do for a living. This movie in my opinion basically redifined a comedy movie. i give Ace Ventura: Pet Detective a perfect 10/10 stars. Take that scociety!

Classic Carrey!

Posted : 10 years, 7 months ago on 28 April 2008 06:20

"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

Jim Carrey's hilarious antics always guarantee a bunch of quality laughs. Over the years, Carrey has starred in an enormous amount of nonsensical comedies that are funny but nothing groundbreaking.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is a textbook example of one of those aforementioned comedies that are nothing more than light-hearted entertainment. Jim Carrey has no problem with bouncing around the screen embarrassing himself while overacting, performing hilarious stunts and just acting in a wild (not to mention bizarre) fashion; demanding attention for every scene he appears in. What is there not to laugh about?

Ace Ventura (Carrey) is a unique pet detective; that is, he solves crimes that involve typical household pets and other animals in that vein. He specialises in recovering animals that have gone missing or have been kidnapped. For Ventura's latest assignment, he is hired to investigate the sudden disappearance of a dolphin that acts as a mascot for the Miami Dolphins football team. Ventura is one whose crazy actions and antics mirror those of the animals he loves so much and has vowed to protect.

Only someone of Jim Carrey's stature could allow something like this to work. His overacting and hilarious antics will have you in stitches on multiple occasions. It's obvious that the filmmakers hired him for nothing more than his zany nature and crazy mannerisms.

Of course the film is filled with gags, but there are things that unfortunately drag down the film's value to nothing more than a bit of entertainment. For one, it's amazing that Ventura is so knowledgeable and yet acts so silly in every scene. I mean his detective skills could make Sherlock Holmes look like an amateur. Such a juvenile nature, and yet so smart. A combination that has mystified me.

And every time the film tries to turn into a serious drama to make itself seem more than B-Grade entertainment, it fails and instead makes us wonder why they even bothered. In all honesty, if they kept the quality gags coming from start to finish with a smaller attempt at drama the film would have been a lot better.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is a single note movie filled with a bunch of great gags and clever characters. It's highly flawed, but at least it's entertaining. The kids will love Carrey, but beware the continuous string of sexual gags.

Please don't find my pets

Posted : 10 years, 8 months ago on 8 April 2008 05:38

As I said before in my Me, Myself & Irene review I'm not a fan of Jim Carrey and Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is better then MM&I but still pretty boring.

Jim Carrey plays Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, a guy that specializes in finding lost/missing/petnaped pets and returning them back to their owners.
The major story of the movie is the kidnapping of Miami Dolphins mascot dolphin, Snowflake, and Ace goes on to find it while uncovering a bigger plot that includes Dan Marino.

While Carrey is a bit funnier then MM&I he is still boring and mostly unfunny and supporting cast doesn't help the movie either.

Writing is a bit of a saving grace as some of the dialog is witty and most of situations are well used but Carrey acting killed most of it.

Overall Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is a pretty average comedy that could have been really funny but wasn't due to bad acting.

allllll righty then.

Posted : 11 years, 12 months ago on 18 December 2006 09:20

He took what he did on 'In Living Color' and brought it to the big screen, and did a great job making it work. This is one of those movies that I watch if it's on TV, and I must've watched it a dozen times back when it first came out on video.

Ace Ventura

Posted : 12 years ago on 23 November 2006 09:38

The Jim Carrey coming out party began with this comedy classic and years later I still laugh harder with every view. Carrey's character is a comedic icon and his performance is one of the best in recent comedy history.