Added by Nattkrypet on 22 Jul 2016 04:39
157 Views No comments

My TV Review List (101 - 150)

Sort by: Showing 1-50 of 51
Decade: Rating: List Type:

Patrick McGoohan is an excellent agent and there is no wonder to learn that he was approached to actually play James Bond at one point as he feels very much as a serious no-nonsense agent of the kind that Daniel Craig later would portray. Mostly believable stories that are fast-paced with a running time under thirty minutes which also make some resolutions a little too practical but surprisingly most episodes are gripping and works excellent. Several Bond-actors and actresses appear in guest starring roles together with beautiful British upcoming starlets.

In it's first year this felt like a "Star Trek" series with no ambition and little progress but with a cool premise. Then suddenly it started to become bolder and more interesting. It dared to go deeper into religion, politics and character studies than any of the other Trek series did on the air. Today I would say that this series began a kind of production that we would later see on cable with long-running story arcs, a huge cast list and pushing the envelope on what was allowed on TV. The last 10 episodes of this show (and beginning of the 6th) was like seeing a long-running 10 episode HBO series on syndicated TV to be blunt. I also liked that this was "Star Trek" where the leads were flawed and not perfect so they actually had to have internal fights with themselves and their own demons at times. They even managed to make their villains three-dimensional and sympathetic and I liked them all. What would have helped the show would have been an even healthier budget would have given some scenes better effects, more action and detailed battle sequences as this show had bigger ambition and tried to be more epic than what they really could manage to get through on screen. Some lousy embarrassing comedy and weak B-plots ruined some episodes too but this show produced some magic moments and is the show that has more hits than any of the other newer Trek shows that I have seen so far. This is the one show that deserve a revisit if one only skip over most of the filler episodes in season 1, 2 and major part of the third one.

In Norway this was one of the more experimental comedy shows produced for teenagers that took old serials with cliffhanger endings turning every scene into surrealistic wild moments, pop cultural references, wordgames, slapsticks, insane fever dreams, embarrassing jokes and a lot of genre blending. It could also be frustratingly annoying and repetive. This miniseries show was a huge success though and several sequels appeared during the years.

Second and best show about the brothers Dal has some great visual moments - especially the colorful gemstones that trigger Norway's first time travel show. Surprisingly close to history as well while having the usual surreal comedy, parodies and confused dialogue. Anyhow it was some of the most ambitious science fiction (even if it was a comedy) that Norwegian TV ever has attempted and could today be seen as an even lower budget version of "Doctor Who" and early version of "Bill and Ted's Excellent Journey". Any teenager and kid that watched this show in the early Eighties has fond memories of it.

This production was probably meant to be a self-ironic comedy about Norway made by Norwegians to show tourists that not everything that they believe about Norway is true but it is true. Some moments are fun but it is also hilariously dated today with repetitive jokes, fast-forward running, lousy jokes and host John Cleese on auto-pilot taking a huge pay check.

Who knows, maybe this Lego parody TV short will have a better storyline than the real "Justice League" movie that comes out soon? In this one Batman at least discover he can not take all bad guys on his own and needs to cooperate with other superheroes. The usual Lego figure movements and inventive machines make this fun to watch even for the older ones in the family, but the film itself is only mildly entertaining and I got the impression throughout the short that this film was built around set-pieces that would be featured as a seperate Lego toy in the shop later on.

"Frozen" inspired many young girls to both sing, dance and being just plain annoying in their obsession of the Disney film, but at least it was well-done and charming while this Lego short is not. It is plainly made to show off their Lego toys and while many Lego films and shorts have some fun in it this is just annoying and boringly written with some of the most lame jokes put on screen. Fun to see the characters as Lego but that is mostly what is fun with it.

Bruce Willis' breakthrough role was in the classy screwball romantic comedy with some detective work added for the fun of it. It gave the actor an excellent place to have fun and grow as an actor making sparks fly with the already legendary sex bomb Cybill Sheppard as their hate-love chemistry made the sparks fly and kept the viewing figures high. Their fast-paced dialogue was controversial stuff in the mid 1980s. The show started to sink when it started to focus too much on the supporting characters carrying some episodes that no one likes and a fourth season that had problems with the duo split apart for the entire run (due to Bruce Willis' filming of "Die Hard" and Cybill's pregnancy). When the fifth season premiere started with a horrendous story and Willis in diaper making fun of spontaneous abortion it was the definitive that it would soon end as even the most devoted fan started to leave it. The series did dare to break down the third wall and talk directly to the viewers and had some really great episodes, especially a black & white one that broke some ground and the ending of the series is a surprise in sync with the rest of the "frankly my dears I don't give a damn" style of the show.

Political soap opera that takes place in a (non existing) Middle East Muslim country (that happens to be on the same spot as Israel) is an intriguing premise as it tries to show how the different facets oppressed people take when they try to fight back. It is also hits on some very realistic buttons at times with the breakdown of Syria and the American influence on countries which made the series hard to accept for U.S. viewers. The series has an intriguing "damned if you do and damned if you don't" approach to men who try to lead in such a complex place but the show do take some exciting twists and turns. Unfortunately the series also tries to squeeze to many shocks into it which feels unrealistic and forced making some changes to the formula that sadly also would end up being it's downfall. It also didn't help that the lead was British and while portraying an Arab didn't have a single drop of Arabic blood in him. Then the supporting cast was better which all feel authentic.

This miniseries combine the on-going Marvel series "Daredevil", "Jessica Jones", "Luke Cage" and "Iron Fist" into one. It doesn't really stand on it's own as it incorporate elements from all the mentioned series and also have an ending that will be continued in their own series later. What we do get though is a mildly entertaining team-up event where they try to stop the ongoing threat of the Hand led by a classy, but forgettable villain appearance by Sigourney Weaver (who sadly has nothing really interesting to do) in a stupid resurrection/immortal plot story that makes little sense. What is cool though is the character interactions, some excellent stunt work and some surprising spurts of violence that suddenly occur. Still, this show feels rushed and not completely thought through. It is also takes one episode too long to start and should probably also have ended one episode sooner as it has several scenes that drag down the action and the importance of the story. Still, we do get to see four heroes together and is probably the best way to start watching these series if one want to skip all that has been produced before.

I have fond memories of watching this animated "Star Trek" show when I was a kid via satellite dish on Sky Channel. It prepared me for the live action version and when I rewatch these episodes now it is easy to see why I liked it. The series used the same voice cast as in the original series. It had many of the same writers who delivered some interesting stories and even delivered a good background story on Spock. What was not that great was that the animation was pretty static and repetitive at times and that there was not enough character moments to give the show true depth. It was sadly also disowned by the creator and a long time not available to see, but luckily it is now possible to see it again. It is not a masterpiece but it gives fans what they want: additional adventures with their favorite crew and it do feel and look like the original show without overdoing it which is nice.

"The Return" really defies everything that has gone before and challenges both patience and mind doing everything that you didn't really expect in the process. Gone are censorship issues too so those weak for nudity, swearing and gore should really be turned off by this chapter in the saga that pushes new ground. It's lack of music make this series feel colder and more clinical which may turn off many fans as one of it's biggest appeal was the music atmosphere of the show. Instead we get huge musical numbers at the end of the show that tell clues about the show. Soap opera elements of the show are mostly gone for a much deeper story about good and evil forces and it forces the viewer to accept that time has passed and the world of old is gone and what is replaced may be a much more realistic and humane take that many will hate. A lot of patience is also needed as Lynch here really uses every scene to paint his own landscape. It is also a show that will be discussed long after it's gone and while I sadly would have loved a few more scenes with some old faces I will have to cherish what I got since we all know that David Lynch force the viewer to approach this piece with caution and one's own set of answers. At the end I just have to say as Dale Cooper himself: "I hope to see you all again"

While it premiered in the early days of internet I decided to put it on my TV list due to it's episodic nature and the fact it later had a premiere on TV as well. It is a 6 episode short animated production consisting of 6 shorts based on Tim Burton's excellent poem book "The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories". It is a dark, funny and at times violent short about a different superhero who stop other misfits who one actually feel a little sorry for. It would have been a better live-action movie too than some of his other projects, but what little we have here I gladly take.

The first meeting with Kurt Wallander was with the excellent Rolf Lassgård in the lead who made the opera-loving inspector a warm and realistic one. The excellent music gave the low-budgeted TV miniseries a good atmosphere close to some of the best BBC/ITV crime series out there. The series is extremly dated though and there is technical qualities of the miniseries that is weak, but at the core is good writing with strong characterization and a believable crime plot. It was followed by the movie "The Dogs of Riga" on cinema next.

Fourth Kurt Wallander production with Rolf Lassgård has more hand-held cameras, grittier atmosphere and a noteworthy unrealistic terrible CGI self-burning at the start. This is something that strikes the viewer at once when they reunite with their hero (after "Faceless Murderer" and the two films "Hounds of Riga" and "The White Lioness"). The story follow both police inspector and murderer, who is known already after a few scenes, and is more a psychological case about what cause him to kill than who did the deed.

By the fifth miniseries Swedish TV tries to make their own "Se7en" production with Kurt Wallander. It works surprisingly well and is probably the best of the entire Swedish productions about the Henning Mankell character but it demands to be seen in high quality as it has a very filmatic quality over it. This production also introduces the lovely Marie Richardson as a female partner and possible love interest and a final appearance by Wallander's dad done with loving support by Keve Hjelm. The strongest part of the film is still Rolf Lassgård though who gives the character such heart and depth that it is hard not to care about him.

A solid entry about evil organ robbers. Lassgård deliver as usual a better than average performance for this kind of series.

Kurt Wallander do cybercrime. It start traditionally enough with the murder on a taxi driver but soon our hero is drawn into a global plot while he have personal problems with diabetes and his short fuse of a temper. It keeps interest to the end and could it be that the female hacker here was a kind-of inspiration for the later Lisbeth Salander?

Could be seen as a separate stand-alone show or as a continuing story that follow on Kurt Wallander's life a few years after the Rolf Lassgård stories since this follows the two last novels and new material written for the screen by original writer and new ones. It tells about how Kurt is reunited with his daughter, Linda, who is now also a cop and together they start a troublesome partnership. Sadly a lot of the crime stories themselves follow the same pattern and seem identical and alike (with a few adjustments) and the writers don't seem to stretch themselves that much as the I was usually two steps in front of the story all the time. Luckily the characterization is good - the colleague characters are likable, with the exception of the 2nd season when you have two annoying recruits with short-sighted decisions that would have gotten them expelled from the force at once. The series get truly gripping at the last episodes when the lead character is stricken with a life-changing illness that make Krister Henriksson truly act out of his comfort bubble. The episodes that is the most memorable to me is: "Innan frosten", "Mastermind", "Hemligheten", "Cellisten", "Sorgfågelen" and "Försvunnen".

Forgettable made-on-cable-TV movie with a love pairing that has no chemistry together. The pace drags along at once and Morgan Freeman sleepwalks as a villain. Jan Hammer seems to have used all the rejected music that he did on "Miami Vice" here.

Historically drama about Jewish mass suicide during the end of the Roman occupation of Israel. Masada tell about uncompromising forces where no side is willing to back down, but sadly the Romans seem more honorable and less evil than the Jews in this mini-series as the religious fanatics are willing to kill off not only themselves but their entire family to stay "free". Some of the reason that the Romans look better could be that they are played by better English actors and especially Peter O'Toole is excellent as Roman commander Flavius. This is also a good example of a good time in the early Eighties and late Seventies when American TV actually used a lot of money on drama and making some strong filmatic mini-series instead of the low-budget shitty reality productions that crowd U.S. network TV today.

Stephen King comes up with a haunted house story that sadly is not as original as one would hope as he rips off both himself and other works for a fast thrill and even his characters feels reused for this film as we follow a group of "ghost hunters" going into a house filled up with them. The casting is acceptable if unremarkable, but the strangest move is the casting of Nancy Travis, who seems even more unstable and crazy at first glance than even Jack Nicholson did in "The Shining" - a casting choice that King himself has criticized several times over the years because he looked insane from the first second. Well King, Jack Nicholson have now been officially beaten by Travis who should have been put into a mental institution the second she shows her face and that she even gets to have a group following her into a haunted house is so far fetched and impossible it ruins the experience for me. I do like some characters and the detailed ever-growing mansion but the mini-series needed even more gore, gruesome make-up and surprising jolts to both impress and scare me. This one feels like a story that would have worked better as a book and not as an original piece direct for the screen. Only for die hard fans who will find something interesting between all the major problems.

I guess that this a good show if you are a newbie to "Star Trek" as it is a good introduction to the Star Trek universe, Starfleet and the "Star Trek" ideals without getting trapped into it's own continuity as it is centered on one sole ship's journey to get home while trapped in a new unexplored universe where there is not that much background stories to evolve from (with the exception of a few token appearance by semi-regular "Q" from older series and long-running villains The Borg). Sadly, the producers also decided that since it was to have a episodic nature, characters are not developed from episode to episode as they stay basically the same throughout the entire run. One could easily see an episode from the second season and one from the sixth and not lose much continuity at all. The only exception is a few hook-ups with cast members at the end that feel more like afterthoughts and none of love stories have any chemistry nor do I find them believable. Some stories are also pure updates of old ones in prior Trek shows. The most intriguing aspect where the series join two type officers by chance on the same ship should have created possible conflict between them but the problems are solved after two scenes in the second episode and hardly touched upon since. The worst thing is that any episode that show the cast-members in alternate time lines, parallel worlds or they do different versions of themselves are tons better and more interesting than all their normal stories where they are their boring selves and act with no emotion or heart. It is interesting that the characters that are the "least alive" end up as the most interesting (The Doctor and later new cast member Seven of Nine). Even worse is that one of the better actresses get written out while they keep annoying Neelix, who ruin everything he appears in or the indifferent blank page Harry Kim, who everyone seem to treat as a rookie throughout the entire run even after seven years of loyal service since just a few episodes progresses character or overall story at all. The most annoying is that the series would also have been a lot better if they had touched upon a few events from their home as a lot of stuff had happened while they were lost - maybe friends had been killed or there had been broken relationships? Would one really have to believe nothing happened while their ship was stranded seven years away from home? I was so annoyed by this show by the last two seasons that I even waited 15 years to see the remaining episodes which are weak and it made me indifferent to "Star Trek" for a L-O-O-O-N-N-N-G time. The best seasons for me was the third one and the first batch of the fourth one.

Stephen King hated that Stanley Kubrick minimized his novel and cast Jack Nicholson as the family father and made him be bonkers from the moment he showed his face so he decided to produce and screen-write this mini-series that were directed by long-running friend and collaborator Mick Garris. While an intriguing comparison piece it also show how sometimes an excellent novel don't translate that well to the screen if taken literally as plot points and character motivations become so obviously referenced that it can not surprise us later on when the revelations appear. The kid actor here is also too weak to make the impact that Kubrick cast in the role. Okay if unremarkable miniseries. Read the book and see the 1980 film and love 'em both. This is only for die-hard fans of King.

It has a charming old-fashioned feel over it. Tim Matheson is a likeable dude and I like the poetic ending of it. It is a lowbudget ghost story really about people coming back from the dead trying to collect souls.

The only good science fiction sitcom I know of. It is about a lone human survivor, a genetic manipulated cat and a hologram that has to survive in a galaxy filled with old science fiction stories rewritten for stupid situations. It also seems like a new show every second year as it rewrites itself once in a while. There are few shows that know it is stupid but still manage to be intelligently written and the characters have interesting personalities. Highlight of the show is possibly the Alien parody "Polymorph", but the stand-out moment is actually the final one when The Grim Reaper is kicked in his balls. As all long-running shows it turned repetitive and somewhat tedious in the later seasons.

Lowbudget superhero-like horror movie about a cop who discover there is a tribe of werewolf vigilantes out on a criminal killing spree in the city. The make-up is not much to be happy about with fake-looking long claws like "Wolverine", the cast is decent and the action is solid. Compared to many other TV-movies I have seen (even if it is for cable) I found it to be pretty good.

In this rip-off of "Dead Calm" and "Knife in the Water" it is Rutger Hauer and Karen Allen who is a married couple while Eric Roberts and Connie Nielsen are the sleazy intruders who make havoc on a sailing boat. Here is absolutely nothing we haven't seen before, but fans, of either Eric Roberts' grinning villain face, Connie Nielsen's delicious body, Rutger Hauer being Rutger or Karen Allen doing a different role than just being Indiana Jones' girl-for-life, will at least have an okay timewaster of 90 minutes.

The pilot episode establish the huge ensemble (though some are thrown out of the window already before the series started) and the enormous universe of different aliens that inhabit this world. What was most impressive with this first show though was the CGI space station itself that looked fantastic and the show felt at the time as a darker cousin to "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine". The acting is mediocre and dialogue hits-and-misses, but it is hard not to be intrigued by the story and how it builds up making one interested in how this will continue. The biggest problem with this pilot and later series was that the show felt more like a theater production than having a cinematic feel.

It started slow with a lot of build-up and stories that at first seemed to go nowhere, then in the middle of the first season and onward it started to build up it's own mythology and do space opera at a level no other shows had done up till that point. It foreshadowed a lot of plot points and small details could be addressed three or four years later as it dared to do plot twists and shocking deaths that "Star Trek" and other science fiction shows did not dare do at that time. Stories lead into stories and there was a complex continuity worthy of a well written novel. Characters were engaging even if the acting and dialogue sometimes could be wooden especially some guest actors were exceptionally bad. The last season was also an enormous long epilogue to the first four years and with the exception of the last episode and a couple dealing with the fall of Centauri Prime it was mostly a failure on all accounts, especially the Psi War that was a disappointment to see unfold. Filler episodes were mostly useless though and some characters was not used to their potential even if they were regulars (I'm looking at you: Keffer, Na'Toth and Talia Winters), but at the end it is hard not to embrace this science fiction drama that paved way for heavy serialized series of this type on American TV at a time when most programming leaned on episodic and stand-alone storytelling with little or no characterization. For fans of the genre it is a must even with it's numerous faults.

While it is called "in the beginning" the story starts some years after the series ended as it starts with Londo Mollari who is a storyteller of this story that tell the details about the Earth-Minibari war that happened before the show started making this mostly a prequel film. It goes heavy into details that very revealed over the first three seasons of the show and is a must for fans as it show more about their favorite characters during a time not seen much of, but there should have been more new scenes and background for Michael O'Hare's character Jeffrey Sinclair who was an important part of the last part of this story.

Babylon 5: Thirdspace has been added to these lists:
"Untold story" that follow events during the Earth Civil War. It is a stand alone story about The First Ones and is Babylon 5's little nod to H.P. Lovecraft's stories. It is not very unique nor original but fun for fans and do have a few character moments worth to see and gives some of the supporting characters a bigger role than normal.

Feels like a better budgeted remake of the first season episode "Soul Hunter" with a better than normal guest cast (Ian McShane and Martin Sheen). This story takes place during the fifth season of the series and is a self contained "episode", but this one is so overlong and talky that it would have been better had it been used as an normal episode removing one of the worse episodes from the fifth season instead. At least Tracy Scoggins get to do a little more with her role here than she really got to do in the series and devoted fans of her can even see her as a holo prostitute.

Actually more like a pilot film that lay up the spin-off show "Crusade" so that fans would keep on watching with a few B5 regulars on for the first ride. It is a movie that looks more visual than normal and the story is more interesting than almost the entire last year of the series, but as usual it is pretty impossible for non-fans to jump onboard at this point.

In many way this is a kind-of "Star Trek" show but with a overall mission that make planet exploration necessary as it is necessary to go down to every single planet in order to find a possible cure. With a cast of genre favorites it is sad this series never really stood a chance. Troubled from the start with TNT executives tampering with both the show and it's editing changing some of the impact of the series. The lack of good music and dodgy effects also didn't help. That the story also takes place during a time of "Babylon 5" history made also the the outcome predictable. In a way the series was an unwanted child from the start as TNT was more into wrestling and reality programming at that time and fans probably had been a little fed up with B5 too (even I was) but I found this one to be a refreshing spaceship-bound series that had potential that never was really explored. As it stands it is 13 episodes with some hits-and-a-lot-of-misses.

Based upon the "true" accounts of the Spanish Borgia family and it's head Pope Alexander VI who had an enormous ambition and an even bigger sexual appetite. Jeremy Irons was surprisingly (at that time when few film actors had turned to TV) cast as the pope and the ensemble around him is filled with exceptional European and Canadian actors. The series look, sounds and has a fascinating backdrop but sometimes it goes a little too overkill on shock value and gory moments which seems sometimes unnecessary and makes the series seem more like exploitation than classy. The show was never truly finished so it series tell about the pope family from Alexander got the papal job and at his height when he had removed all his enemies, but doesn't show the downfall and "poetic ending" of him confessing his sins as told in historic documents or giving his son (the true villain of the piece) the fate he deserves. This is a shame as the series seem to finish with the last 10% of the story left untold ruining some of the potential for people in rewatching or actually watching the series. Still, it is a solid series and it may make people interested in reading up on that part of Vatican history.

The one adaptation that actually feels like an autentic version of the Robin Hood myth. It is a much more mysterious and has an aura of fantasy over it which actually makes it more fantastic than anything else I have seen about the character. This series was also hugely inspirational on future productions as it was here that we were first introduced to a merry men who was a Muslim and Marion even participates in the action. Sheriff of Nottingham is also played as a egocentric crazy bastard that steals any scene he is in. Michael Praed would also never again achieve the same dimension and facets as he did here and his excellent turn was so good that he was tempted by Hollywood money making him leave the series at the end of season 2 in what is one of TV history's most shocking moments. Luckily, the Robin Hood myth actually contain two characters so a new Hood was introduced in the third season and it actually made sense, but Sean Connery's son Jason was inferior to Michael and probably why the series only lasted three seasons. Clannad's music add an extra dimension to the supernatural and while the series didn't have a huge budget it delivered much more joy, excellent stories, ambition and strong acting than other shows I have seen from the 1980s. The one Robin Hood that all other Hoods are compared to.

Based upon the true courtroom drama that went so over the rails showing us finally that reality is crazier than anything that is ever dreamed up by writers. I found this limited series to be enormously gripping and was exceptionally good acted especially by those who portrayed the legal people at the District Attorney and at the Defense (even John Travolta makes a fantastic role even if his eyebrows looks strangely cartoonish at first). O.J himself sadly come off as an enigma (which was probably the case) but is also a little miscast as Cuba Gooding Jr. don't have the necessary gravitas for the role, but he is very likable actor though so not that a bad choice overall. The series start with the murder and ends shortly after the verdict and the attention to details are pretty good.

A kind-of popcorn courtroom drama that is saved by it's unserious approach and a William Shatner in top form showing he has enough self-irony and humorous timing to win him an Emmy. James Spader also work as a selfish womanizer who would have lost his job in any other lawfirm than this one. A good ensemble rounds it all up, but there are a few that could at least have had a little more plot development as they usually are the other end of a joke and is seldom fleshed out as this is purely the Spader/Shatner show. Sadly the court room sequences themselves are the least interesting as the lawyers never seem to lose and is mostly a moral finger on something that creator David E. Kelley want to point out. At least the show had a satisfying ending as it came to a normal conclusion after 101 episodes.

Sadly this comedic hour should be a lot funnier than what we ended up with. It starts with a great introduction by director/actor Ron Howard telling about his life-long obsession in collection obscure videos no one has ever seen before showing us a lost and found VHS of Donald Trump's self-absorbed documentary based upon his own autobiographical selfgazing book "Art of the Deal". It is of course a mockumentary and Donald Trump is played by an almost unrecognizable Johnny Depp. While the potential for numerous gags and spoofs are infinite it almost feels like the comedic team didn't dare go too far which is a big shame as this feels like one joke repeated to the extreme. Fun to see how far the production tried to make the film look like a product of the 1980s though with washed-out colored and low-resolution footage, but this was a wasted opportunity.

Ten years before "Twilight" there was this teen romantic series where a teenage girl falled in love with an alien. There was a lot of teenage angst and not much that happened at first, but at the end of the first season the show started to embrace it's science fiction roots and became actually rather watchable. It is not as bad as one could expect and the characterization is actually well done. The acting was above average too, but it was sometimes hard to get through all those long "deep" romantic conversations between the two leads. The music was also very modern and up to date at the time. It survived three seasons when it was expected to only last one due to devoted fans and it ended with an okay, but open ending. It is still enormously more satisfying than what "Twilight" ever was.

Originally planned as a feature film than rearranged to be a limited series with it's first two hours getting an exclusive premiere. If the plan was to make this series feel like it was a cheesy Marvel show produced during the 1970s by Glen A. Larson then they succeeded. It is also extremly annoying that they market it as a limited series as it's ending clearly hopes that it will be extended into a full series, but after seeing this show I have no hope that it will ever get more than one season. It is a lousy written with stupid dialogue and the worst part is that the heroes, the Inhumans, come across as arrogant, selfish racists while the villain at least is unlikable but he has also nonthreatening and has no chance to ever win making him laughably weak. Still he is compelling to watch compared to the heroes as Black Bolt seem to wanna fart at every second we see him and Medusa get to have touchy-feely moments and be sad since she gets her hair shaved off which is her power (since she can manipulate her own hair). The rest are even less interesting. The effects are also almost non-existing with characters that never seem to use their powers and the most "impressive one" is a lousy CGI dog that can transport characters. Since the budget is also limited the series is mostly filmed either on an island in Hawaii or on a fake-looking stage that stands-in for a hidden city on the Moon.

Few anthology series if any has delivered so many unique and original science fiction stories as this one. While it turned out a little repetitive and overlong towards the end (half hour show was filled up to one hour during it's penultimate season which was mostly a failure so it was returned to half an hour in it's final season), the series almost always had some sort of fun gimmick or interesting twist that made it fun to watch. Excellent score too composed by Bernard Herrmann in it's debut season and the acting was seldom spot on as the series was filled with either classic Hollywood stars or genre favorites. Possibly one of top 10 series ever made and tons of the episodes inspired newer modern series that spun new shows based upon a story or idea from Rod Serling's excellent idea bank. He also got good help from other writers and Richard Matheson's stories were also absolutely worth a watch while Earl Hamner jr. seemed more interested in rewriting old stories. A show that is hard to recreate today and with stories that mostly hit bullseye instead of missing it's target.

10 years after the death of creator Rod Serling the production company decided to reboot and hopefully recreate the magic of the original. Mostly it happened though because "Twilight Zone: The Movie" was a success on the box office. Since most of the writers of the original were unavailable new genre writers like Rockne S. O'Bannon and J. Michael Straczynski helped out and short stories from genre writers like Ray Bradbury and Stephen King were used. Sadly the show never really had that many classic moments and most of the direction felt mediocre even if it had help from several established directors like Wes Craven, Peter Medak and William Friedkin to name a few. The worst though was that by the 1980s it was a lot easier to predict some of the twist endings and some shows seemed to be pure horror stories as well. It is still a pretty good anthology show don't misunderstand me, but those hoping for the magic of the original will still be disappointed.

Second attempt at an revival show was also the most short-lived one. It was possibly because it lacked the charm of both original and 1980s show and was a lot less uplifting and charming and felt depressing at times. At times the show felt like a more serious version of "Tales from the Crypt" too with killers who get their deserved fate and some of the episodes were gory in a way that I felt didn't respect the quality of good storytelling. One of the worst being a story about an Inca curse where teenagers discuss who has to die. It was almost like I expected to hear the cackling laughter of the Crypt Keeper instead (which had been okay had the series not been called "The Twilight Zone"). The new introduction was also bad and the new score useless and Forest Whitaker lacks the charm of both narrators from the past. There are a few memorable moments though but the most intriguing one is the continuation of the classic "It's a Good Life" where original actors Cloris Leachman og Bill Mumy repeat the roles they did for 40 years ago which may be unnecessary but has a curious factor to it. Mostly like this series in fact.

A show with infinite potential as a Stargate that send people through a portal to any possible part in the galaxy. Still it started very lackluster as a "Star Trek" copy on autopilot with little inspiration, American patriotism and moralizing. Then suddenly at the end of the first season the series started to get inspired with bigger ideas, more action and a better approach to comedic timing. It also dared to experiment with gimmick stories. Sadly one of the biggest problems with the series was that the characters were flawless and seldom did any mistakes making almost any ending predictable even if the stories themselves were intriguing. The writers should have let the Stargate team at least lose a firefight at least once in a while and laughably the biggest peril the group ended up in was getting into prison every once in a while. Some cast changes in the series actually helped making the show fresh with Corin Nemec replacing Michael Shanks for a
season and later "Farscape" favorites Claudia Black and Ben Browder replaced Amanda Tapping and Richard Dean Anderson which made the show a little less predictable. Still it never fulfilled it's huge potential even when the effects made it look like a big-budgeted movie and the stories were very cinematic. It was hard to be disappointed by the visual approach though.

Surprisingly good TV-movie actioner that prepared Pierce Brosnan and us for the James Bond to come. I liked this one that is about a crazed terrorist who hijacks a train full of plutonium. It is a star-filled cast and the story is intriguing though a little dated now I guess as there would have been some kind-of technology that would have taken down the train with the least ammount of atomic waste I guess. I find it strange that this movie was not released theatrically as it is a lot better than some other action films I saw during the start of the 1990s.

The ultimate horror anthology show has memorable scary atmosphere and several unique episodes. While it do go into too many "monsters of the week" shows they are also usually very memorable. There were several good philosophical stories too and one was clearly an inspiration for "The Terminator". Top acting also helped. Usually seen as an inferior version of "Twilight Zone" but to be honest they should be seen as just as great.

Take two of the classic show had the potential of doing some great adaptations of excellent short fiction and while there was some highlights this show also seemed more interested in mixing as much female nudity as possible into it without it really being necessary all the time. A huge bunch genre favorites appear though and it is hard not to be interested in it even when it is boring.

One of my favorite series. It was created by "The X-Files" creator Chris Carter, but actually I found this series to have a better overall writing quality and a superior atmosphere of dread and is hugely influenced by the cinematography and grittiness of "Se7en". The lead hero, rubberfaced Lance Henriksen, do his best performance in life as he plays a man who can see what the killer sees and put himself in their mindset but also be a gentle family father and loving husband. There is also a possible approaching apocalypse that he has to stop which get more explored as the series go since the first season consist mostly of dark serial killer stories but in the second one we get to learn the darker forces that motivate the killers to do their job and that there is a greater good and bad out there. Add on top of this the best score Mark Snow has ever done and great guest actors and this is a must-see. At least for me.
Load more items (1 more in this list)

Added to

Related lists

Movie Reviews (101-150)
50 item list by Nattkrypet
mijn voltooide anime lijst 2
43 item list by bermuda
Hottest Spanish Actresses (51-100)
Top 50 Hottest Spanish Actresses
50 item list by Ricky
Hottest Spanish Actresses (101-150)
101 Favorite Cult Movies
And + 101 Cult Movies
More 101 Cult Movies
101 item list by jeffpsych
Hottest Spanish Actresses (151-200)
Best Male Performances - 1990s
101 item list by Stehako
22 votes 7 comments

View more top voted lists