Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows review

Posted : 9 years, 7 months ago on 29 August 2010 04:56

My favorite HP book. The end was more than i ever expected it to be. I can't imagine having all this in my head from the beginning.

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows review

Posted : 11 years, 9 months ago on 29 June 2008 05:11

After six books, I wish I could say that this book made the journey worth it. But I don't think it does. Granted, it's still better than Goblet, but only marginally.

When JK Rowling began this series, we all knew it had to end with a confrontation between Harry and Voldemort, but she promised us more, too. Even if she didn't realize it. Every writer makes a contract with their readers. In this case, the first book was supposed to be the setup for the entire series. And in particular, the Sorting Hat's songs, which we heard several times throughout the story, promised us a joining of the houses, and perhaps even a new way of seeing things, after about 1000 years of the school's existence.

Oh, sure, she harped on the negative traits of Slytherins throughout the series. But if being sneaky and sly make you evil, then why bother having the house at all? Why not just send everyone who gets sorted into the house straight to Azkaban, if that's all they're good for?

And yet, the hat continually talked about all four of the houses coming together and working together. Not three, but all.

So where was this great coming together? In a double-spy that had a thing for someone who never loved him, and a weak coward who never amounted to anything. My two favorite characters, who I could have written far better than this, were sold short because the author felt that all Slytherins are irredeemable.

And then, to top it all off, she gave us a saccharine-sweet epilogue twenty years later where everyone (read: the three main characters) was happily paired off and had kids named after their heroes. Never mind that it had obviously been written long before most of the series and only hastily rewritten to polish it, because it included almost no secondary or tertiary characters that had been introduced in the later books.

There are good points in this book, but the overall flow and the fact that Rowling falls so short of her goal makes it almost unbearable to read at points. Far more unbearable than the year or so wait between this book and the previous one. If you're not a fan? You can probably skip to the confrontation at the end, and just save yourself a ton of aggravation.

Aren't Just For The Kids

Posted : 12 years, 7 months ago on 10 September 2007 02:14

I think this book was done really well. For me it had a tightly woven plot, answered all the questions that arose throughout the series and the change of... lets say scenario (I don't want to give anything away for those who wish to read it, although it seems that everyone else wants to so maybe there isn't a point for me to) stopped it from being stale. The only problem was the ending. The real ending was perfect. A good fight scene followed by a clean cut ending that was very final, but then Rowling had to do the "several years in the future bit" which is alright in some cases when done properly but she didn't do it well. It was pretty much just confirming what was in my mind an obvious conclusion and not explaining about anything else. A waste of paper if you ask me. Can't people use their imaginations and be happy with just speculating what may have happened? Would be more tantalising in my opinion.

Other then that the book was great and I have to confess that I am very impressed and surprised with Rowling's talent.

too many inconsistencies

Posted : 12 years, 8 months ago on 25 July 2007 11:20

There are too many inconsistencies. I don't just mean between all the prevoius books and this one. I also mean within the book itself. Hermione says she modified her parents memories in one chapter and then the next she's squeemish about doing to some death eaters because she's never done it before. Umm... yes, she has. She just explained she did last chapter. That and the polyjuice potion lasting longer than an hour as previously mentioned in the second book. Other than that, the book was good. Although the epilogue nearly blew it.

This Ends a Chapter in my LIfe

Posted : 12 years, 8 months ago on 22 July 2007 07:01

eh... It's alright. I think the main reason I'm so attached to it is that I've been reading it for such a long time and it finally came to end. It's been a fun ride but it's over (movies aside). It would have been perfectly fine with me despite the way everything became all fanservicy at the end...
except for the fact they killed ****. Wasn't too happy about that.

There's really not much more to say. You obviously aren't a newcomer if you are reading this and if you are wow you're stupid. At the end you are either gonna really dig the ending or pretend you didn't like it.
J K Rowlling really gave to the fans at the end. It's been a marvelous ride but I'm glad it's over.

A Satisfactory Ending

Posted : 12 years, 8 months ago on 22 July 2007 02:21

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a satisfying ending to the thrilling and magical series many of us have come to know and love.

In this book, Harry tries to complete the mission Dumbledore bestowed upon him—which is to find and destroy the horcruxes. While doing this, he has to overcome his doubts about himself and about his hero, Albus Dumbledore. Meanwhile, Voldemort is gaining power and control and takes charge of the wizarding world. As the books that came before it, Deathly Hallows is about courage, friendship, and love.

Many of us will mourn the deaths of favorite characters, but this book draws the Harry Potter series to a satisfactory end. Loose ends are tied, and questions many of us have asked are answered. It is a good read, and very suspenseful. I wasn’t able to put it down until I finished it. It is the end we have all been waiting for—and the last chapter Rowling added is a special treat that I never expected.