Wonderfalls review

Posted : 5 years, 3 months ago on 24 March 2013 12:04

Conclusion
Ignoring the one dimensional characters who are there simply to spout "witty" lines or to act as strawmen or comic foils for Jaye, and ignoring the good premise/plot being repeated basically each episode - Jaye receives a cryptic message misinterprets it causing a minor problem which later turns out to be a good thing - the show is quite enjoyable with visual tricks and a fast pace

BUT the series lacked any depth and just comes across as some teen girl wish fulfilment series -"I am lonely (despite being good looking and having lots of former boyfriends) and the hunk and I are destined to be together - anyone else in the way is a bitch or an obstacle...people love me for my unique style and my adventurous spontaneous nature"

The worst aspect of the series is there was no or little gravity to Jaye's actions and she was always bailed out by her parents with again no conflict or repercussions - sadly the most fantastical aspect of the show is the characterisation with the girls always being "sassy and strong" - of course EVERY girl in the world is that way - LOL...good looking guys are always quiet and sensitive, ugly or fat characters are losers or for comedy - hardly groundbreaking and just feeding the same BS tv churns out at an alarming fashion

So...great series if you are teen girl not so great otherwise

Overall 6/10 - started good then got sucked into a typical rom com arc

Wonderful!

Posted : 10 years, 5 months ago on 23 January 2008 02:30

I figured I needed to watch a canceled tv show because that way I wouldn't have to devote really long periods of time to watch it on TV as it airs then watch commercials and blah blah they are too long so Wonderfalls sounded like it fit the bill.

Now I'm regretting that choice a bit. It was surprisingly actually good, it would have been perfect if it sucked but since I enjoyed it so much it only made me more dismayed when I knew full well there'd be no more episodes.

It's about a girl named Jaye Tyler and for all intents and purposes she can easily be a very accomplished person but she chooses to work in retail and live in a trailer park. And inanimate objects with animal faces talk to her. They tell her to do things that appear to help the others around her. Hijinks ensue and Jaye learns life lessons blah blah and becomes a better person.

At times it is a little over the top and it has many faults but you tend you look those over when it's canceled. But the main characters are lovable and while most of the characters in each episode are only seen in that one episode the recurring cast make up for it. It's slightly episodic (since most of the characters are standalone characters only there for one episode) but it has a somewhat underlying story arc that carries on in most episodes and has some resolution by the end of the 13 episodes but you just know that they could (and should!) make a second season, or possibly more. But I realize that I like alot of tv shows. But I often find I can't commit or the story just jumps the shark, so perhaps Wonderfalls was perfect in it's cancellation. Kinda like the smooshed face of wax lion that talks to Jaye.
I'd rate it higher but I just can't since I didn't really receive as much satisfaction as I wanted by the end of the series.