How I Met Your Mother Reviews

How I Met Your Mother

"How I Met Your Mother" In Historical Context

Posted : 1 year, 8 months ago on 14 August 2012 09:25

"Romeo and Juliet" was a tragedy written in 1595, the year that.... happened a long time ago.

"How I Met Your Mother" is a comedy that first aired in 2005, the year that Stephenie Meyer wrote "Twilight" and Steve Carell starred in "The 40-Year-Old Virgin".

Questions.

Oh, and: *my* name is Ted, therefore, Jason Segel is almost my friend, sorta. (He schools me, yo.)

And having a narrator and lots of flashbacks are pretty nice too.

....

OK, I'll admit it.

This show changed my life, and shaped my destiny forever.

It's just that good.

It's like....

.....

I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU SAY GOODBYE I SAY HELLO.

(10/10)

Posted : 2 years, 4 months ago on 17 December 2011 01:10

In the season opening, Ted sees Cindy again with a girl who he thinks to be her roommate, but she turns out to be Cindy's girlfriend whom she later marries. After prodding by Barney, Ted is eventually hired by GNB once more as the architect of the bank's new headquarters (which was originally scrapped in Season 4). However, he encounters opposition when he meets Zoey Pierson (Jennifer Morrison), a woman who is protesting against GNB for selecting a decrepit hotel, the Arcadian, to be torn down for the headquarters. Over the season, Ted's encounters with Zoey eventually blossom into a relationship after she divorces her rich husband, but they break up as he puts his career over love, leading to the Arcadian's demolition. Ted also resolves not to get back with Zoey.
Having agreed to conceive a baby at the end of the previous season, Lily and Marshall keep having sex, hoping she will get pregnant. Around Christmas, they have a false alarm and later seek fertility testing and find the fifth doppelganger (Barney's doppelganger) as their fertility doctor, Dr. Stangel. However, tragedy strikes when Marshall's father passes away, leaving him devastated and the gang comforting him. Marshall tries to get over his father's death and live again. Despite a pledge to Lily to work harder for their future, Marshall resigns from GNB and follows his dream of being an environmental lawyer. Zoey also hires him as her lawyer in what became a futile battle to save the Arcadian. At the end of the season, Lily reveals that she is pregnant.
Barney finally admits to the gang that Bob Barker is not his real father, especially when his mother decides to sell the house he grew up in and his brother, James, meets his own father. Loretta offers the identity of Barney's father on a sheet of paper, but Barney tears this up after realizing her efforts as a single mother. At the funeral of Marshall's father, Barney tells Loretta that he wants to see his father at last. The man, Jerome Whittaker, is eventually revealed to be someone whom Barney thought was his guardian. Barney is disappointed because Jerome was not the free-wheeling man he knew as a child. Although he tries to bring back Jerry's old ways, Barney admits that he wants to settle down someday. He is also introduced to Nora, a co-worker of Robin, for whom he develops feelings. After an initial falling out, the season finale indicates a possible future revival of their relationship, where Barney asks her for coffee and Nora tells Barney that "it's never too late" to wear a sun-dress.
Robin continues to work at her talk show, Come On, Get Up, New York!, but the presence of a new hyperactive co-host forces her to leave. She is accepted as a researcher in another network, World Wide News. The gang also discovers more of her past as the Canadian pop star Robin Sparkles. Robin also encounters a man (Michael Trucco) she has had a secret crush on since first seeing him when she and Ted were dating, and Future Ted hints that there will be more of him later.
A short scene during both the first and last episode of the season feature a wedding set sometime in the future, which is where Ted will meet his future wife. In the last episode it is revealed to be Barney's wedding.

Season seven opens to find Barney getting ready for his wedding with a yet unknown bride. Barney and Ted reminisce about Punchy's wedding, and Lily and Marshall reveal that they are having a child together. Marshall gets a job at the environmental law firm, Honeywell & Cootes. Barney proves to Nora that he can be a good boyfriend to her, and Robin regains feelings for Barney. Barney is forced to wear Marshall's ducky tie for a whole year after losing a bet with Lily that he can do a chef's job at Shinjitsu. Ted meanwhile runs into Victoria again, and feels guilty for almost cheating on her with Robin six years ago. However it emerges that Victoria cheated on him herself in Germany, and that she is about to get engaged to the guy she met there. After a fight, the two share a kiss but Victoria decides to remain with her boyfriend. Upon leaving, inspired by the fact she just kissed Ted because of sentiment towards him, she warns Ted that Robin will similarly eclipse any successive relationship he and Barney try to have.
Robin takes court-mandated therapy (for assaulting a woman), until her therapist Kevin (Kal Penn) lies to her, telling her that he is moving to Alaska. However, shortly after Robin runs into him at a restaurant. He confesses that he lied to her because he finds her attractive and therefore cannot be her therapist anymore. They start to date, after some initial awkwardness. Marshall and Lily learn that their baby will be a boy. Ted finally meets "The Slutty Pumpkin" portrayed by Katie Holmes, however they have the worst romance ever and break up soon after. Robin finds out from Barney's father that he is one-quarter Canadian, Barney is shocked by this fact, and tries to prove that he is a true American by wearing Rocky's Americana boxing trunks for Halloween. Barney quickly tires of wearing the ducky tie, but becomes desperate to take it off when he is due to meet Nora's parents for the first time. In the end, a compromise is reached... Barney can take off the tie if he has three slaps added to the one slap he has remaining from the slap bet. Barney agrees, and Marshall delivers two of the slaps immediately, leaving him with two remaining.
It is revealed that Marshall and Lily conceived their child in Barney's bathroom during Hurricane Irene and also that Robin and Barney almost kissed a day after that but were interrupted by a call from Robin's father. While reminiscing about this, they end up kissing in a cab and sleeping together. Barney and Robin both realize what they've done and decide to tell Nora and Kevin. Things take an unexpected turn, however, since Barney ends up breaking up with Nora for Robin. Robin decides to stay with Kevin. Marshall and Lily decide they want to move to Long Island.
Robin's period is late, making her believe she is pregnant and (as she had not yet slept with Kevin) Barney is the father. Both Barney and Robin are worried at this news, as neither of them want children at the present time. Going to the doctor, Robin learns that she is not pregnant. However her happiness is cut short when she learns that she cannot have children, which leaves her devastated.
The rest of the season is scheduled to continue in January 2012.

Posted : 2 years, 4 months ago on 17 December 2011 01:00

How I Met Your Mother is an American sitcom that premiered on CBS on September 19, 2005, created by Craig Thomas and Carter Bays.
As a framing device, the main character, Ted Mosby (Josh Radnor) with narration by Bob Saget, in the year 2030 recounts to his son and daughter the events that led to his meeting their mother, which explains the title and allows for a narration in the past tense. How I Met Your Mother follows Ted alongside his friends Marshall Eriksen (Jason Segel), Robin Scherbatsky (Cobie Smulders), Lily Aldrin (Alyson Hannigan) and Barney Stinson (Neil Patrick Harris).
How I Met Your Mother has been a critical success, and has received consistently strong ratings throughout its run. It has won five Emmy Awards, including a nomination for "Outstanding Comedy Series" in 2009. In 2011, CBS announced that the series had been renewed for an additional two seasons, making the current count eight.
The seventh season of the series was announced in March 2011, along with confirmation of an eighth season, and premiered on September 19, 2011, with back-to-back episodes.

How I Met Your Mother was inspired by Bays's and Thomas's idea to "write about their friends and the stupid stuff they did in New York". The two drew from their friendship in creating the characters, with Ted based loosely on Bays, and Marshall and Lily based loosely on Thomas and his wife. Thomas's wife Rebecca was initially reluctant to have a character based on her, but agreed if they could get Alyson Hannigan to play her. Fortunately, Hannigan was available, and was looking to do more comedy work.
The bar MacLaren's, in which some of the show is set, is based on a bar in New York City called McGee's.[6] It has a mural that Carter Bays and Craig Thomas both liked and wanted to incorporate into the show. The name for the bar is from Carter Bays's assistant, Carl MacLaren; the bartender in the show is also called Carl.
Usually each episode is shot over three days (most sitcoms are typically shot in a single day) in the Los Angeles based Soundstage Studio 22 and features upwards of 50 scenes with quick transitions and flashbacks. The laugh track is later created by recording an audience being shown the final edited episode. Co-creator Thomas claims shooting in front of a live audience would be impossible, and doing so "would blur the line between 'audience' and 'hostage situation'". Later seasons started filming in front of an audience on occasion when smaller sets are used.
The theme song is a portion of "Hey Beautiful" by The Solids, of which Bays and Thomas, the two co-creators of the show, are members. Episodes from the first season generally started with the opening credits. A cold opening has been used since season two. Viewers then occasionally see Ted's children on a couch and hear him talking to them, telling the story of how he met their mother. Alternatively, scenes from previous episodes or shots of New York City with Ted narrating over the top are shown. Thomas has explicitly said Future Ted is an unreliable narrator since he is trying to tell a story that happened over 20 years earlier, and therefore tends to recall events incorrectly; this has been a plot point in several episodes such as "The Goat", "Oh Honey","How I Met Everyone Else" and "The Mermaid Theory". Nevertheless, Thomas has also emphasized maintaining a coherent and consistent universe, and trying to avoid continuity errors, based on his experiences of being a fan of other shows.
A scene directly relating to the identity of the mother, involving Ted's future children, was filmed near the beginning of season two for the show's eventual series finale. This was primarily done because the teenage actors portraying them will be adults by the time the final season is shot.
During the 2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike, How I Met Your Mother shut down production, but once the strike ended the show returned on March 17, 2008, with nine new episodes. A change in timeslot was also announced, to 8:30 ET/7:30 CT, flip-flopping from the summer schedule with The Big Bang Theory. The show was renewed for a fourth season by CBS on May 14, 2008, which premiered on September 22, 2008.
In September 2008, it was announced Lifetime Television purchased the right to rerun How I Met Your Mother at a rate of about $725,000 per episode. The four-year syndication contract stipulated the studio must deliver at least 110 half-hour episodes by the year 2010, and allows for up to eight seasons of the show. At the end of the fourth season only 88 episodes had been produced, and a further 22 episodes were required ensuring there would be a fifth season. On May 19, 2009, the fifth-season renewal was announced. On May 20, 2009, CBS announced How I Met Your Mother would move back to 8 pm, leading into the new comedy Accidentally on Purpose. On January 12, 2010, the show hit the milestone of its 100th episode. It was also announced the series would return for a sixth season on CBS. In response to being syndicated, co-creator Craig Thomas said, "We're thrilled that it will live on in other forms," and they were proud of the show and it was great to see there was a strong desire for it. However, cast members have suggested the show will run for no more than eight seasons.
On September 13, 2010, reruns of the series began airing on local U.S. broadcast television stations and on Chicago-based cable superstation WGN America. Featured in these airings are vanity cards previously unseen in the CBS and Lifetime airings due to marginalized credit sequences used by the two networks. Shown in between the closing credits and the production company credits, these vanity cards show portions of "The Bro Code," a list of rules frequently referenced by Neil Patrick Harris' character, Barney Stinson, on how men should interact with each other, with an emphasis on activities involving pursuing members of the opposite sex. The opening theme song for the syndicated reruns is also slightly edited, running shorter and not using all the pictures seen in the opening montage that runs on DVD and the original CBS broadcasts. The episodes, too, are edited, leaving out small details.
One of the series' ongoing traditions involves giving guest roles to actors from various Joss Whedon productions, many of whom co-starred with Hannigan on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Carter Bays puts this down to being "huge fans", and those casts representing "a big talent pool".
On March 4, 2011, CBS announced that the show had been renewed for two more seasons, with the seventh season scheduled to air with back-to-back episodes on September 19, 2011.
On July 27, 2011, It was announced that FX has picked up the show for syndication. FX began airing the show on September 5, 2011.

Posted : 2 years, 4 months ago on 8 December 2011 12:21

this show is funny one, i find the story odd, but it's an amazing show ..the thing that amazes me is the blond man the chick hunter 'barney' he's so funny and how he hunt thouse chicks in an funny strange way .. hilarious show

Posted : 2 years, 7 months ago on 24 September 2011 02:01

"How I Met Your Mother" is now in it's seventh season, and aside from the long-drawn out annoyance of still not having heard THE story about how the guy met his wife, the show is still going as strong as it was when it started. I love watching it, can sit down and watch many episodes at all once, and I find myself unable to stop.

Witty writing, great cast - who doesn't love Neil Patrick Harris, who is easily the best part of the show? And Alyson Hannigan. And, despite my loathing of Americans making fun of Canadians, I do love all the "Robin Sparkles" bits on the show. They are just too funny to not laugh.

Posted : 2 years, 10 months ago on 1 June 2011 11:51

well i have seen 6 seasons so far and realised how friends are about and the story is so awesome ...no need to describe to those who watched it ....but a little interconnection between seasons is marvelous..

How I met HIMYM

Posted : 2 years, 11 months ago on 28 May 2011 08:13

First of all, I want to apologize in advance for any mistake in my English... (I keep learning)

I've start to watch this tv show this month (yes, may 2011).
Why? because I was watching The Big Bang Theory and Two & a half men, and I was ok, the comedy field was complete.
But then came the Charlie Sheen debacle, and the future of TAHM was in jeopardy, so I decided to make a sort of casting and HIMYM won!
Luckily I discovered an excellent tv show, with great characters and solid scripts.
My favorite tv show ever was and will be Friends, and HIMYM reminds me to it in the way of how the characters are and how they get along with each other (but, of course, each sitcom with its own style).
The characters are perfectly portrayed by the actors. And by the way, I'm happy to see Neil Patrick Harris playing this AWESOME role of Barney Stinson, he's so perfect for it (The last time I saw him regularly was in "Doogie Howser, M.D.") and now is so grown up and suited up!

By the moment, I gave it 7/10 coz I'm just in the season 2 and and you can always improve. :)

Posted : 2 years, 11 months ago on 3 May 2011 04:20

watching the season 6 of HIMYM was like having a laugh after a long year of exile.... with barney's dibs and mermaid theory episodes and some personal things in barney's life were abstracted to introduce new interests for viewers...

Posted : 3 years ago on 11 April 2011 05:33

never show ur arse in friendship

Posted : 3 years, 1 month ago on 22 March 2011 06:55

Currently the no.1 series on my list! Every character is unique and fun to watch. But my fav is Barnabas Stinson aka Barney played by Neil Patrick Harris. A serial womanizer, who has a no. of strategies and rules designed to meet women and sleep with them which are downright hilarious!
this show is truly LEGEN-wait for it-DARY!
10/10