Alarming!

Posted : 7 years, 9 months ago on 23 December 2009 10:56

This album was an unexpected hit of 2005 for me. I followed the band loosely for a couple of years before their debut release, watching them release Banquet several times and making appearances way down on the billing list at Reading Festival. It was clear that they enjoyed a live performance and were capable of synthesising a catchy tune, so I snapped up Silent Alarm on the day it came out.

It was very much an unregrettable action as the record is packed full of hits. The aforementioned Banquet remains one of my favourite songs, but they've also got So Here We Are, Pioneers, Helicopter, and This Modern Life as instantly recognisable (and top quality) tracks, whilst there isn't really a lull in proceedings until track 9.

The end of the album does not finish as strongly as it starts, but with a special edition doing the rounds that contains the superb Four Tet remix of So Here We Are, amongst others, the finale is spruced up a bit allowing the record to end on the high it deserves. I'm not really into the pop-indie scene at all, but this album is well worth a listen.