Zootopia

Posted : 9 months, 2 weeks ago on 6 February 2017 09:57

Disney makes a buddy-cop mystery movie that’s actually an allegory for racism and prejudice. This is not immediately evident from the opening scenes, which introduce us to Judy Hopps (Ginnifer Goodwin, adorably plucky) and her dream of becoming the first bunny on the Zootopia police force. You couldn’t be faulted for thinking that this was going to be another dip into the following your dreams/you can be anything you set your mind on balm that Disney pumps into us all. Then it suddenly shifts within the first twenty minutes into a clear story saying what we needed loudly proclaimed in 2016: that xenophobia and prejudices are harmful and must be combatted for the betterment of our society.

Zootopia is richest when cracking jokes and making complex issues digestible for the kiddies in its target audience, even if it occasionally does play against its own better judgement. There’s a few instances of the film making unintentional cases for stereotypes being stereotypes for reasons, and the entirety of Zootopia is broken apart into various environs. That’s right, even in this post-predator/prey binary society the types of animals don’t completely interact together with these separate communities. This last fact isn’t commented upon as such, and it does feel like a failing of the film to entirely engage with it.

But Zootopia is strong enough in several other areas to overcome these problems, mainly in the rapid-fire jokes and leading characters. Judy Hopps is a refreshing continuation of Disney’s recent penchant for crafting female heroines that want anything but a prince and a happily ever after. Hopps puts her entire focus into being a cop, being a damn good one too, serving her city, doing what’s right, and trying to overcome her own prejudices. That she’s partnered with a sly fox (Jason Bateman, snark personified) is a smart move, and their chemistry as characters creates numerous moments of great friction-heavy friendship. Eventually they’re revealed as kindred spirits, but they took different paths to the obstacles and traumas of their childhoods.

Don’t think that this is a heavily sermonizing film though, it’s refreshingly crisp and hilarious. A personal favorite humorous side character is Tommy Chong’s nudist Yax, there’s a great payoff as to why a sloth is nicknamed Flash, and an opening verbal gag about learning to settle and be complacent as the reason for happiness. Zootopia is also just gorgeous to take in, with visual gags and great details packed into every frame. Disney’s resurgence is most deeply felt in films like this, Wreck-It Ralph, The Emperor’s New Groove, and Lilo & Stitch. Zootopia comfortably sits alongside those films as a very bright spot in the studio’s recent output.

An average movie

Posted : 1 year ago on 11 November 2016 08:37

Right now, according to IMDb, this is the best movie released in 2016 so far which could mean 2 things. First, it could mean that it is actually a really great movie. Second, it could also mean that 2016 was another really weak year concerning the movies.  Well, I have watched the damned thing and I came to the conclusion that 2016 turned out to be rather disappointing. I mean, it’s not that it was a bad movie, it’s just that I didn’t see anything really amazing about it. I have to admit it, sure, the animation was really neat but the story was seriously generic and, at times, even rather tedious. For many years, one of the most enduring and annoying trademarks in the Disney animated features have been these talking animals and, in this case, they just took this gimmick and gave it a modern twist, that’s about it. I mean, they went for something so modern that they even added a Breaking Bad methlab with Woolter and Jesse, a  reference completely lost on the young viewers but also on everyone else within 5 years time. To conclude, even though it was watchable, I’m really surprised it turned out to be such a massive box-office success but I guess it is worth a look, especially if you like the genre.

Zootopia review

Posted : 1 year, 6 months ago on 23 May 2016 03:55

I love Disney movies. Practically everything they do is fun and for all ages. They have yet to fail in my eyes with their blockbusters. The only time they get a bit silly is their direct to DVD sequels and the like. I have been wanting to check this out, but I just didn't have the opportunity or time until now. It's crazy though that there are three directors with seven writers and one who added additional material. This looks to be Jared Bush's first Rodeo. Rich Moore however was the one who brought us Wreck-It Ralph. Byron Howard is the one responsible for Tangled and it's short sequel. This is the first movie I have seen written by Josie Trinidad. Jim Reardon wrote Wreck-It Ralph as well as Wall-E. Phil Johnston also wrote for Wreck-It Ralph. Jennifer Lee is responsible for Frozen, it's short sequel, and also helped on Wreck-It Ralph. Dan Fogelman has done quite a few movies. Some of which were with Disney like the Cars trilogy and Tangled. While others include Last Vegas and Danny Collins. He tends to do better with Disney movies though. The cast here is pretty great. So what do they eat if not each other? Are they all vegetarians? Well predators still come off as bullies. Oh man those are some pretty extreme challenges to overcome. Don't let anyone tell you what you can't achieve. That's definitely one of the morals of the story. I get a kick out of all the goofy things like a literal weasel being a figurative one. Oh wow they have a counter where the bunny population is constantly going up ahaha. Of course since Shakira has a role her music is also used. I'm not complaining just noting it. So I wasn't the only one who caught that haha. Well that's pretty creative. Oh wow I mean I was expecting something but not that. Okay this Rodentia scene is quite hilarious. So are fish food not friends? I mean it seems like only mammals are the ones who have personalities and they did show fish markets earlier. Of course the pull that rabbit joke. Haha all natural animals! Wow that is really awkward. I'm just glad this is a kids movie so they couldn't be anatomically correct. Haha that's what if feels like to go to the DMV or even a post office. That is just some straight up comedy gold. I was wondering if that would be the joke. This scene is a bit like The Godfather. That's an interesting change of things. Even animal children can be cruel. Yeah that has to be the worst choice for security. Well that's nothing new. That's an interesting development. I find it amusing when Disney parodies it's own films with the current movies characters type and such. Ah that's a good twist I should've known. They just keep giving the good stuff here. Oh wow of course lol. That was a cute ending to a pretty sweet movie. I loved the characters. The voice-overs were great. I think it is a bit odd though for Shakira to play a gazelle of all things. I loved just about everything this film had to offer. It's a must see for the family and even by yourself. It has some nice messages to share.