One of the best adaption of book

Posted : 3 weeks ago on 24 November 2017 09:42

I did not have much to talk about a lot about this

First I have not read the original book
still I think he could adapt the story well
even so regardless of not having read the book is good

the characters are nice and have a well-made personality
the performance was good

the music has a special touch that for some reason kept the viewer entertained

In total it is a great adaptation of a book and it is Recommended

9/10

No Tengo Mucho que hablar de esto

Primero no he leído el libro original
Todavía creo que consiguio adaptar bien la historia
aun así, independientemente de no haber leído, el libro la historia es buena

los personajes son agradables y tienen una personalidad bien hecha
el rendimiento fue bueno

la música tiene un toque especial que por alguna razón puede mantener al espectador entretenido

En total es una gran adaptación de un libro y es Recomendada

9/10

Goes on forever and gets boring

Posted : 3 years, 12 months ago on 20 December 2013 12:46

I was looking forward to 'The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring', the first hour is great, the second hour is good - but after that, it gets really boring

'The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring' goes on forever and gets boring, it looked good, the story was good and there was a pretty good cast (Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Astin, Cate Blanchett, Orlando Boom, Christopher Lee, Sean Bean, Ian Holm, Andy Serkis) but the huge let down of the movie is that it just never stops and eventually you get really bored

I liked the effects but I really don't remember seeing Gollum in it a lot and I like 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' a lot more

I'm hoping for 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug' and the 'Lord of the Rings' sequels to improve over this as well, it's far from being a bad movie but it's also far from being a masterpiece and is way overrated in my opinion, can't really see why everyone loves it

I don't agree with Richard Roeper's review but I can see why he didn't like it - it goes on forever and ever

A very good movie

Posted : 4 years, 12 months ago on 17 December 2012 05:30

I remember perfectly when I saw this flick the first time. Beforehand, I spent a year reading the whole trilogy so I was definitely going to watch it at some point but I wasn't sure when. Anyway, the week-end of its release, Saturday evening, I was chilling out with my buddies, rather bored and nobody knew what we should do. So, I proposed to see this new flick. And off we went to the multiplex. However, the whole thing was packed and we realized that our movie was sold out. Bummer... Suddenly, just when we thought to get the hell out of there, some guy showed up with precisely the right number of tickets! So, we managed to watch it and it was f*cking priceless, at the end, my best buddy who knew nothing about this trilogy looked at me, kind of desperate, 'is it the end? Come on! I want to see what will happen after this!!!'. Eventually, he had to wait another year... Anyway, I must admit it, the first time I watched it, I wasn't exactly blown away. I mean, it looked awesome and I was entertained during the whole thing, that's for sure, but, basically, I thought it was a very long introduction before the real thing started. After re-watching it many times, I tend to appreciate it more but I still think the other 2 installments are better. That's also the skill of Peter Jackson who managed to make each installment bigger than its predecessor. Anyway, as a stand alone movie, it is really good but as one third of a great epic tale, it is really awesome, definitely.

Review of The Fellowship of the Ring

Posted : 5 years, 3 months ago on 21 August 2012 08:09

It is unsurprising that critics have taken The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring to liking. It's rich story, fantastic set pieces and marvelous special effects make all this clear. And fans of the books are certainly pleased, I would imagine. But frankly, I'm still not quite sure how anyone else managed to enjoy this film. It's excessive length and constant chatter can make The Fellowship a somewhat tedious affair at times.

As complicated as the film may be, The Fellowship is really about a hobbit (think a small person with very large feet) named Frodo Baggins, who receives a ring from one his relatives, that must be destroyed. Easier said than done, though. Many dark powers have sought to take the ring for their own, and will go to great lengths to secure the ring.

Of course, the film is much more complex than that. With many unique (if a wee bit bland) characters, as well as other things that truly enrich the story. Still, what I have explained above is the basic plot.

The run time is monstrous at nearly 3 hours in length. And because much of the film involves a lot of talking, this feels even longer. Yes, there are some action scenes that, while not being truly innovative or unique, at least bring some true excitement, which The Fellowship desperately needed more of.

Outside of action scenes, the slow, laboring pace is only assisted otherwise by two hobbits that join the journey, named Pippin and Merry, who provide comic relief.

Special effects are gorgeous, as are the costumes and set pieces. You really do feel transported to another world. With imagery both beautiful, and sometimes disturbing, The Fellowship brings some fantastic visuals to the screen.

The score, by Howard Shore, is appropriately mysterious, and lighthearted when it needs to be. The main theme may not be initially memorable, but it is quite beautiful, and those who really pay attention to the score will be rewarded.

The acting was extremely strong. Truly some of the best I've seen. Elijah Wood plays the confused and determined Frodo, while Sean Astin plays Frodo's faithful companion, Sam. Ian McKellen plays a majestic and somewhat mysterious role as Gandalf, a wizard and friend of Frodo. And Christopher Lee lends a wonderfully sinister Saruman.

The Fellowship Of The Ring can be tedious at times, and the bloated run time can really take it's toll, but this first chapter in The Lord Of The Rings trilogy manages to have enough high points to make for a (perhaps, slightly hesitant) recommendation.

Posted : 5 years, 6 months ago on 13 June 2012 12:00

At the time of 'Fellowship of the Rings' release, the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy was the highest selling book worldwide besides the Bible. It was one of the most influential and loved works of the 20th Century. The big question was, is it possible for a film to be made, matching the high standard of the novel? Reading a book and watching a movie are two completely different things. One is left for your own interpretation and visualisation, the other is given to you. In my opinion, 'Fellowship of the Ring' succeeded in almost every way in bringing the book to life. Of course not everything can be included. Many things, but only the most irrelevant things, were cut out from the book, including the character Tom Bombadil.

Peter Jackson masterfully exceeded all expectations in making the first book of the trilogy. The time and work obviously put into the film is astounding, the production being so detailed that it seems to mimic Tolkien's perfectionism and, like Tolkien's work, the time spent on the production of the film has guaranteed an exceptionally high standard adaptation.

Firstly, there are the special effects. This film was such a benchmark because everything looked so real. The creatures, landscapes, and even the almost unnoticed genius in making the Hobbits to scale is so realistic that you begin to believe that it could all be real. Watching the film is such an incredible experience, and you know that you're watching something special when the film has the ability to completely draw you into a fictitious world.

The settings and Art Direction are also a major factor in bringing Middle-Earth to life. New Zealand was the perfect location for filming, as it is so natural and untouched. The landscape is a major part in the film because Tolkien was so incredibly descriptive and the designers, and the locations in New Zealand have definitely given the book justice by making Middle-Earth a beautiful, inviting and magical place.

But did Peter Jackson capture the magic of the book in his film? I believe he did. There are plenty of things to like about the film. The thrilling battle sequences, the engaging plot, the state of the art special effects, and of course the characters. The cast includes such accomplished actors as Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Christopher Lee, Liv Tyler and John Rhys-Davies. Despite Elijah Wood (Frodo) only really using one facial expression for almost the entire film, he was nevertheless innocent and very well cast, as were the rest of the ensemble cast who gave fantastic performances. The musical score is memorable and symbolic and now the tunes are attached with 'The Lord of the Rings', so much so that it would seem as though they were written as Tolkien was writing the book.

So Peter Jackson, a relatively unknown director at the time of the film's release, created what may be one of the greatest Fantasy film adventures of all time from a classic novel. He took filmmaking to a new level and set a benchmark for films in the future.

Posted : 5 years, 9 months ago on 21 March 2012 08:25

J.R.R. Tolkien's masterpiece, the three books that make up "The Lord of the Rings," is about two profound things -- the horror of power without spiritual understanding, and the nature of courage. In the figure of Frodo, the humble, small-town hobbit who never expected to be called upon for acts of bravery or sacrifice, several generations of readers have found their everyman, their hairy-footed inspiration, their call to day-by-day fortitude.
The books are marvelous, and they have, like all great epics, the power to awaken powerful responses in their readers. To even begin to conceive of a cinematic version of the series is daunting -- not only because the books' power lies in the intimacy of their imagination but also because they are so specific in Tolkien's construction, created with such loving specificity. Get one thing wrong, and the whole thing is wrong . . . or at least not quite right.

Well, "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" gets it right. It's a wonderful movie. Watching it, one can't help but get the impression that everyone involved was steeped in Tolkien's work, loved the book, treasured it and took care not to break a cherished thing in it. Director Peter Jackson has created a film refreshingly free of ego, giving this technically advanced picture an old-fashioned rhythm and gravity. Scenes play out without constant jump-cutting or obtrusive editing. The movie as a movie becomes, in a strange way, unnoticeable, because it's so correct.

The trilogy was about character, and so is the movie. In spite of its stunning special effects and beautiful art direction, the film

draws its power mainly from the essence, humanity and skill of its lead actors. Ian McKellen as Gandalf the wizard, Ian Holm as Bilbo Baggins, Elijah Wood as Frodo -- and the rest of the actors who make up the fellowship -- hit their roles head on, with conviction and purity of heart. This is no place for post-modern detachment. The result is an acting company that interacts like the best of ensembles. The audience gets to be swept away because the actors are going there, too. .

A WIZARD'S AURA

McKellen is particularly splendid. In him, the aura of a great wizard and a great stage actor combine effortlessly. He inhabits Gandalf without camp or bravado, but with a sly sense of enjoyment that makes it a characterization for adults as well as children. One gets the sense that McKellen understands the profundity of the role, and yet some part of him is also thinking, "Can you believe I get to wear this hat?" It's thoroughly winning.

Hobbits are small, good-natured folk who love to have fun and who eat constantly. Dwarfs are somewhat broader and have rougher dispositions. Humans are humans, and elves are tall, beautiful, immortal beings, who, at least in this movie, are slightly prickly and aloof, like Swedish hairstylists. Cate Blanchett is Queen Elizabeth-like as Galadriel, the elf queen, and Liv Tyler is lovely and earnest as Arwen, an elf princess.

The movie gets off to an assured start with a visit by Gandalf to Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit friend. Through camera magic, Gandalf appears to be twice the size of Bilbo (even without the pointy hat), and the sight of the tall wizard trying to navigate the rooms in Bilbo's tiny house takes us immediately into this charming other world.
The film's story centers on a gold ring that gives invincible power to anyone who wears it. Bilbo has been in possession of it for years, and when he leaves town, he passes it on to Frodo. The ring is a force of evil, and the creator of that force, Sauron, is hot in pursuit of it. It becomes Frodo's mission -- dreaded, unasked for -- to save civilization by destroying the ring in the only place it can be destroyed, the hellish furnace where Sauron forged it.
"Fellowship of the Ring" gets its title from the team of warriors who go off with Frodo and several hobbit companions on what seems like an impossible mission. The fellowship is the Middle-earth equivalent of a U.N. contingent -- hobbits, a dwarf, a wizard, an elf and two men, who must overcome their antagonisms and weaknesses in order to fight an evil that threatens to engulf the world. .

A HUMBLE HOBBIT

Wood is perfect as Frodo, the one being with enough humility not to be seduced by the ring's glamour. The role requires a quality of being as much as acting, and Wood's performance will come as a relief after many nauseating seasons of vile young screen actors embodying vile and narcissistic characters.

It's a beautiful thing -- an unsnotty, available, affectionate and utterly open performance.

Ian Holm is memorable in his handful of scenes as the hobbit who, having kept the ring of power for so many years, finds himself eroding in spirit, even as he is preserved in body. Viggo Mortensen brings the magnetism of an anti-hero to Aragorn, the wandering outcast king. Like Sean Bean, who is equally impressive as Boromir, Mortensen gives the sense of a great man in reduced times. .

SPLENDID SETTINGS

The interior of the mines of Moria is dreamlike, and the goblins running up and down its columns are as eerie -- and may someday be considered as unforgettable -- as the winged monkeys in "The Wizard of Oz." The splendor of the various settings are too many to detail, but the harrowing escape from the mines is especially magnificent. In every way, this is moviemaking on a grand scale.

"Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring" would be an exceptional film in any year or season. Yet there's no escaping that part of what makes this film especially powerful is what happened to us as a nation Sept. 11.

The themes feel sad and close. We see visions of a fallen planet, of men unable to control their lust for power, of wizards of unimaginable knowledge who have sold their souls for profit. Most of all, we see a world in fear, and a shadow from another land that threatens the end of everything.

Posted : 6 years, 12 months ago on 19 December 2010 10:11

I think it is important to remember that Peter Jackson took up this film not in order just to make a film of `The Lord of the Rings' but because he wanted to make a 'fantasy just like the `The Lord of the Rings'" as he himself put it. After repeating that phrase on a number of occasions the question popped into his mind: "Well, why not the `The Lord of the Rings' itself?". In doing this he, of course, set himself an enormous challenge: he had to make a really good `fantasy' film, one which would stand on its own and be true to what he had originally wanted to do but he would also, and here the task he had set himself was enormous, be true to the original book and to make a film which the legions of people who have loved this book would feel happy with. In the latter task he was certainly not helped by the author or the book: Tolkein, it would seem, hated cinema. The book itself is `HUGE': this was not going to be the kind of task that the James Ivory team set themselves, or Scorsese nor the kind of task facing Branagh with Hamlet; nor was it going to be like the puny task that faced Columbus with `Harry Potter' who had the bigger budget ($130 million for one film as compared with Peter Jackson with $300m for three).

I have just seen the first `volume' and can say without hesitation that he has succeeded in both his goals. It is not the book but a reading of the book which is inventive and fascinating. It is the kind of experience that makes you want to go back and reread the whole thing in the light of the emphases that Jackson has brought to the story. He focuses on the corrupting influence of the ring and, through this focus, the character of the chief protagonists of the story are revealed. Clearly those most tempted by it are mortal men (Boromir and even, in one moment, Aragorn), those who already have power (Elrond - `The ring cannot stay here'; Galadriel; Gandalf and Saruman), and, of course, those who would not normally desire it but who by accident become ring bearers - Gollum, Bilbo, Frodo. I can see why, in this reading, Jackson decided to leave out the Bombadil episode. Bombadil, like the Balrog, is beyond the ring but the latter is important to the unfolding of the story of the fates of all the characters, Bombadil isn't.

It is a miracle of this reading of the first volume of the book that one can see where Jackson is going and one can get a feel of how the reading is going to unfold. In a sense, Jackson's real trial - as far as those who know the books are concerned - will come with the second film in the series. He has lived up to our expectation by creating even bigger ones: how can he handle the story of the chase andrescue of Merry and Pippin, the storming of Isengard etc - stories which don't really add much to the core theme that is emerging. Or is he now going to add the theme of the great contest of good versus evil to the unfolding reading?

All of this points to the fact that the film, even though it is a feast of special effects, focuses on character. And this also explains why Jackson chose the actors he did for their roles: they are not `big' names - no `Sean Connery', no `Alan Rickman', no `Brad Pitt', no `Sam Neill'etc. He didn't want them getting in the way of the story of character. Ian McKellan's talents, in particular, are used to tell a large proportion of the story: an enormous amount is conveyed simply through his facial expressions and even by the language of his body. The other miracle in all of this is Elijah Wood. Like many others, when I first heard of Jackson's choice, I groaned: but Wood has been extraordinary. He brings, as one friend said, a strange kind of androgyny to the role and this is just perfect. McKellan has already been knighted: give Wood the Oscar.

And then there is Middle Earth: this is, as someone put it, another character in the story and the New Zealand landscape, digitally enhanced on occasion, lives up to its role too.

Enough. See this film! Greatest film ever made? How can one make a claim like that! Silly really; as silly as claiming that `The Lord of the Rings' is the greatest book ever written. Can't one simply love a story, enjoy reading it a number of times amd lose oneself in it. One CAN claim that it is the greatest work in its genre as is the film.

My Favorite Movie

Posted : 7 years, 1 month ago on 23 October 2010 11:03

--This film clearly is a masterpiece, I feel bad for those who find it long..boring..stupid and full of hype. It's anything but boring and it's not even that long, should be longer I think. Peter Jackson truly made cgi awesome and revolutionized it to the masses.

The film has everything! Exquisite acting(apart from Legolas-Orlando Bloom hah), killer action/battle sequences, creative humor, strong morals and it's a flat out amazing adventure.

I don't remember the hype, but I just remember loving it in the theaters (saw it 2 times) and it flat out got me into liking films.

The books are of course somewhat better, but I'm not a douche and say "oh it's not like the book!" hate it when people do that..grow up, obviously everyone's imagination is different..stupid. To me these series are the PERFECT example of "Good vs. Evil". Tolkien was a Christian and whether he made the connections with Christianity is debatable, it's filled with morals, faith and Biblical principles. You could say this film touches me a lot, it really does and I don't see how someone could NOT enjoy this film or the rest of the novel based films.

The title of the film, is well portrayed in the film and you can really sense the fellowship among Frodo and the gang. The relationships are interesting and likable. The movie appeals to many, but especially to those who are keen to SCI-FI, like Me. It's viewable for the whole family to! Heck and it doesn't need to be a "rated R" film to get Oscars and appeal. Jackson proves that through his amazing direction for this series.

In conclusion, everyone should see this film and enjoy it. I love it and enjoy it every-time. It's my type of film.

Rating: A clear 10/10

The Start Of A Landmark Trilogy.

Posted : 8 years ago on 9 December 2009 01:38

The Fellowship Of The Ring is the start of new landmarks of filmmaking. Fellowship Of The Ring s the one film of the trilogy that is rated PG whereas The Two Towers and The Return Of The King are PG-13/12A. This one was quite scary because of the Nazgul/Ringwraiths who are on the trail of the Ring. The opening scene is probably the most powerful start to a film that I have ever seen before in a film. It was full of anticipation and excitement of what's coming in the trilogy. From the novels, the start sort of tells the epilogue of the book. It was very tense involving the Ringwraiths. All of these names in all three are made-up names, made-up places and made-up races (apart from Men). This first one was a brand new experience to everybody because no film like it has ever been done before. There has never been a fantasy story with such a believable force to it.

The cast was really good in this one as well as the other two films. Elijah Wood was good as Frodo but seems a bit over the top when he cries. He was still really good though. Ian McKellen delivers a very well deserved Oscar nominated performance as Gandalf The Grey. I prefer seeing Gandalf grey than white because grey is Gandalf's original form and he looks a bit weird white whereas grey he looks cool. His performance is a lot like Alec Guinness' performance in Star Wars: Episode IV ? A New Hope apart from Alec hated Star Wars. Viggo Mortensen was awesome as Aragorn/Strider. He is a very heroic character with a big heart. He wasn't very well known until Lord Of The Rings. Aragorn reveals himself to be heir to the throne of Gondor aka Isildur's Heir. He meets the four Hobbits Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin in an inn called Prancing Pony and helps them reach Rivendell. When there, he falls in love with Arwen who is the daughter of Elrond who is probably the most powerful Elf in Middle-Earth. Other cast members Christopher Lee, Sean Astin, Dominic Managhan, Billy Boyd, Liv Tyler, Hugo Weaving, Orlando Bloom, John Rhys-Davies, Cate Blanchett and Sean Bean were really good as their characters in this film.

Peter Jackson has created an unforgettable trilogy that will probably be remade in about 40 years time. The first film was directed absolutely brilliantly by a director who directed all three films in the same way. He has created the cinema changing franchise that I think everybody loves. All three Lord Of The Rings films are just too perfect to describe. The script was really good. It is really rare of a fantasy film to earn an Oscar nomination for the script. Yes, it was a very long film and there wasn't one flawed scene not even in the extended versions of the trilogy.

This is the start to the best franchise ever. No matter how many times you watch it you will always experience something new about it. Also, you will get this feeling that tells you "I want to watch The Two Towers and/or Return Of The King now". This is the best film of 2001 and alongside its sequels it changed my liking for cinema forever! Loved Lord Of The Rings before and love it just as much now. Always will love it!!

One ring to rule them all.

Posted : 9 years, 4 months ago on 17 August 2008 09:03

''All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.''

In a small village in the Shire a young Hobbit named Frodo has been entrusted with an ancient Ring. Now he must embark on an Epic quest to the Cracks of Doom in order to destroy it.

Viggo Mortensen: Aragorn/Strider

Elijah Wood: Frodo

Ian Mckellan: Gandalf

2001 begins what would soon be one of the best trilogies to ever grace films and one of the best book trilogies ever written adapted. Yes, obviously I'm speaking about you've guessed it; The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring.
Peter Jackson adapts J.R.R. Tolkien's novels using a faultless screenplay from Fran Walsh.
Vibrant characters, gritty realistic fantasy and Middle Earth brought to life by the beauty of New Zealand and WETA workshop.
It must also be said that Fellowship has one of the best prologues I have ever seen in in my life; The creation of the Rings and the battle against Sauron sends chills up my spine everytime I witness it.

The WETA effects, camera work, editing, sound and Orchestra work by Howard Shore are all dripping perfection.
For this piece of work Howard Shore has created and drawn out a truly beautiful soundtrack to accompany the movie visually. In truth, you can listen to the CD alone and experience the movie, just close your eyes. Howard brings all of the epic moments from the movie to life through the art of music.
To tell the story of LOTR, the cast of the movie was required to do much more than just act but had to tell an epic story of human struggles and emotions, ranging from anger to joy to sadness which spanned over 10 years for the cast and crew. The acting in this movie is beautiful, and nearly flawless. The characters are fleshed out and believable, the relationships are hypnotising, and it is as if the audience experiences everything and is part of the ensuing adventure.

''Our people, our people. I would have would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king.''

The casting drew together a small group of seasoned veterans, including Christopher Lee, Ian McKellan, and Ian Holm, giving the film a solid backbone mixing experience with life and vitality. The other characters are also played out beautifully, especially that of Sean Bean's Boromir. The relationship between he and Mortensen make the story of the movie all the more real.
The part where Boromir is dying and Aragorn is comforting him is one of the most emotional and tear inducing scenes ever captured upon film.
As is Gandalf's ''You shall not pass!'' struggle against the Balrog; His fall into darkness will make you cry when the music combined with the drama hits you.
Sean Astin and Billy Boyd also deliver sound performances, but the most unique aspect of the film is the relationship between Sean Astin and Elijah Wood. Seeing the making and the Extended Version, it is much easier to understand, but Astin forged a friendship with Wood during filming, and this was able to make the close bond of the two in Fellowship even more real and powerful.
In 3 hours, Jackson has crammed everything essential from the first novel & then some into the film, rewriting some scenes & dialogue with lesser characters for the leads, leaving out only what there wasn't enough time for. Basically, you have two 90 min. movies running back to back. There are no slow spots, just one climax follwed by another.
From the opening backstory where the Dark Lord Sauron is shown on the battlefield wiping out men & elves 10 at a time with each swing of his mace, it will capture your soul. The romance between Aragorn, mysterious ranger of the North, and Arwen, daughter of the elf-lord, is fantasy romance, timeless and eternal, will capture your heart.

The story, sets, costumes, score and sound effects are so rich, you'll see the film many times to absorb the beauty of all. The unspoiled New Zealand locales are spectacular, providing a variety of environments to represent the different settings on the characters' journey. The location sets are imaginative, detailed & weathered, adding to their believability, while the studio sets match them in meticulousness. The costumes are at once familiar & strange, drawing on both the medieval & the fantastical, but more important, they're also functional & practical. The music by Howard Shore is appropriately sweeping, Celtic and folky in keeping with the novel, although it lacks the memorable themes of John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith, but succeeds in eclipsing or rivalling their work in Howard Shore's own style and uniqueness.

In conclusion and in essence, Fellowship & LOTR can be credited as many things, because it does something incredibly challenging and does it exceedingly without flaw or exception. Peter Jackson had to adapt from a series of books, he had to capture Tolkien's unique World from his books, he had to deliver a vivid and real world full of gritty earthy fantasy, and it required its cast to deliver brilliant performances full of emotion, relationships, and conflicts.
They all succeed. Fellowship won 4 Oscars for it's Cinematography, music, make-up and effects.

Watch Theatrical or Extended Versions both are perfection.

Masterpiece.

''One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.''

« Prev12 Next »