The Good, the Bad and the Ugly review

Posted : 2 years ago on 11 November 2012 09:57

Hate to say this but this film starts off as a badly tuned guitar. The opening 25-30 minutes are clunky, loud and unmemorable. Only when Leone passes the half-hour mark does he find his true ground and plays the rest of the film in a memorable and we-all-love-to-love fashion. Westerns have largely been nitty, gritty, ruff, tuff and violent, and this film is no exception. Three characters with little or no soul in them start off an epic journey to find a stash of gold buried in a cemetery. This is the third time we're seeing The Man With No Name and the second time Angel Eyes, but they suddenly become just faces at the arrival of the newcomer, Tuco. Not only he makes us forget about the others but demands your utmost attention and concentration. Leone's Western characters have always been interesting and/or mysterious but none has been like Tuco here; Wild, cruel, sadistic, practically all of the 7 deadly sins and then some. You get to see so many different sides of him and they change so rapidly that if you were feeling remorseful of him in one scene then you were feeling hostile towards him 20 seconds later. Since the other two speak, in contrast to Tuco, very little, the latter makes all the gaps in the film interesting.

Just like the previous two films, this one is too violent and gory. What I like about this film is that everything seemed authentic. Every gunshot sounded real, every fall was convincing, every piece of clothe seemed lived in, every character and their mannerisms seemed bloody perfect and all that. Virtually everything felt real, as if you travelled back in time in a time-machine.

In the performances, both Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef were great in their roles but it was Eli Wallach that stole the spotlight. His character, although unlikable, was the most human and Wallach played him so seamlessly that he should've been nominated for an Oscar. The supporting and the minor were fine but they were better than most extras and/or supporting cast from other films. They were also in harmony with the film and kept it going.

In conclusion, this film plays like an explosion at the blood factory and is a great example on how to make a simple story entertainingly complex. Don't just watch this installment, watch the full trilogy.

8.5/10

My favorite Western

Posted : 4 years, 1 month ago on 22 October 2010 11:03

Indeed, it is my favorite Western. I started to watch it as a kid with my father and I was actually planning to watch it again this time with my step-son but I ended up watching it on my own. I guess it is just too slow paced for him. Anyway, I had recently seen again ‘A Fistful of Dollars’ and ‘For a Few Dollars More’ so I obviously had to round up this trilogy with this seminal classic. In my opinion, it clearly stands apart from the rest of the trilogy as the scope was much bigger this time and Sergio Leone had rather impressive budget, at least for the time period. Indeed, there was even some room for a war scene and Leone didn’t really focus on Clint Eastwood like in the previous movies but he spent some good amount of time with Eli Wallach who had a great character (as a matter of fact, he even had the most screen-time) and he made a great duo with Eastwood. Maybe they could have developed a little more Lee Van Cleef’s character but that wasn’t really a big deal. Eventually, it is pretty much a childhood favorite which goes with Star Wars and Indiana Jones, it is a great classic and a must see for any decent movie lover.

The Good, The Bad & the Ugly

Posted : 4 years, 10 months ago on 30 January 2010 06:36

Sergio Leone’s Italian spaghetti Western epic is one of the greatest pieces of purely visual storytelling. There’s very little dialogue, but there’s plenty of music and atmosphere to set the scene and provide the emotions. It’s like a great silent film that’s been filmed in color. This isn’t a John Wayne style Western in which we can easily tell who is good, who is bad and who is going to win in the end. Anyone could die at any minute, and there is no real hero to speak of. The Good, The Bad & the Ugly is a stark and tough piece of art.

Clint Eastwood plays the Man With No Name, probably dubbed as such because throughout this vague trilogy his name changes in each film. He is not a character so much as an archetype, which I think appears in some variation in Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian. Eastwood, naturally, is the “good.” Lee Van Cleef is the “bad” of the title. And Eli Wallach, in full on comic relief-with-a-razor’s-edge mode, is the “ugly.” The plot concerns the three men searching for a fortune in long-lost Civil War gold. But who cares about the plot when the film is so rich in brutal and stripped images. And at three hours long, the film veers wildly into unrelated subplots, such as the prologue. This is a film of ideas and images, not a narrative. There is nothing wrong with that when it retains a certain hard won artistic vitality and keeps your interest. Those vast desert vistas which seem to extend on and on forever aren’t pretty in any conventional sense of the word, but they are a certain kind of pleasing to the eye.

Leone paints with a cinematic brush that alternates between the widest of shots of panoramic beauty and the most claustrophobic of close-ups. There is broad humor and scenes of horrific and graphic violence and bloodshed. The stumble upon the warring factions is beamed in from another movie, but much like Bonnie and Clyde and The Wild Bunch from the same era, it showcases something throughout the film: that violence is not glamorous, it has consequences and it is a bloody affair. The western troupes and stereotypes are given a fresh, new, exciting life in The Good, The Bad & the Ugly.

Grey Hats

Posted : 5 years, 2 months ago on 11 September 2009 05:05

At the outset of the first western movies, the cowboy characters had been categorized between two basic types: Those who wore the white hats, & those who wore the black ones.
As time passed though, the hat colors began to blur between who was bad, who was bad, & then to eventually who was just plain ugly.
Though the final film in the "Man With No Name" trilogy, IMO, the best & most definitive one of the three.
It's almost impossible to think of the genre of the spaghetti western, let alone this particular series & not think of the iconic trio of Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef & Eli Wallach.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted : 6 years, 2 months ago on 14 September 2008 12:40

Combine Grand operatic visuals, satisfying but unrealistic action set to the sound of a classic Ennio Morricone soundtrack that has a unique Spanish/Western flavor, and you have a true masterpiece by Sergio Leone.

Leone does not care about the practical or the plausible, but builds on an abundance of Western movie cliches, It is a tribute to an American genre surviving the test of time. "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, is a mad epic of another day/time or place in the imagination with a deliberate style intended to draw attention to itself with it's celebration of bold gestures and mythic like characters.

Greatest Western of all time. Bravo!

Posted : 6 years, 7 months ago on 21 April 2008 11:38

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is hands down the greatest western of all time - the third and final of Sergio Leone's trilogy of westerns with Clint Eastwood is the best of the bunch.

This film succeeds in every aspect where its predecessors failed, making it the essential spaghetti western. Clint Eastwood rides back into action as "The Man With No Name" - the good - who is now living in the time of the Civil War. Eli Wallach is a filthy outlaw named Tuco - the ugly. And finally Lee Van Cleef (returning from the cast of the previous film playing a different role) is a man known as Angel Eyes - the bad. In a remote cemetery an outlaw has buried a stash of $200,000 which immediately sparks interest from the 3 protagonists. Tuco and "The Man With No Name" form an uneasy alliance and have no choice but to trust each other when it's discovered that each possess half the information of the location of the hidden treasure.

Angel Eyes is also focused on finding the money and thus begins a race as the three men move through rugged landscape and across harsh deserts to get to their desired destination.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a very unconventional western. The plot of this third instalment is actually pretty easy to follow, and this simplicity makes the film not as confusing as its predecessors.

Each moment of the film is enthralling, and exceptionally created. Although clocking at almost 160 minutes, the film is not too long. My interest was sustained for each minute of its running time; containing intriguing characters and clever set-ups.

Clint Eastwood is fantastic as always. As always he plays the part to perfection - never showing signs of emotion and always being dark. Eli Wallach was a welcome addition to the cast. He portrays a very realistic outlaw, and his character is most certainly "the ugly". I was disappointed that Lee Van Cleef didn't stick to his original character from For a Few Dollars More, but he still plays this new part exceptionally well.

Of course what addition to this trilogy would be complete without Sergio's magnificent direction and Ennio Morricone's triumphant score. Ennio's music is nothing short of remarkable.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is an enthralling western. For those with short attention spans, go rent a Michael Bay flick. But for those who enjoy good quality westerns and don't mind the slow pacing then go right ahead. One of the best movies of all time!

Western Perfection

Posted : 7 years, 6 months ago on 23 May 2007 03:28

If someone said to me, 'You can only own one Western DVD for the rest of your life', without a hesitation, this would be it. Not even the legendary 'Once Upon a Time in the West' or classics such as 'Magnificent Seven', 'High Noon', 'Stagecoach' and others would even be considered if there was just one choice. What I'm trying to say is this the ultimate western.... by a WIDE MARGIN.

In fact, even if you absolutely hate westerns, give this movie a shot. I've known plenty of western-bashers that still list 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' as one of their top 10 films of all time. And don't be put off by its Italian name; this is an English-language film. It's an Italian production and directed by Sergio Leone, hence its official Italian title as well as it being referred to as a 'Spaghetti Western'.

The Good................ The Bad................... and the Ugly

Oh, right, about the review itself. For starters, the music. Who can not love the music - the 'ah-yah-ah-yah-ah.....bum-bum-bum' squealing throughout the film. It gives me goosebumps just humming that tune to myself. And the cinematography, the long pauses on everyone's slightest expressions, the double-crossings, the triple-crossings, the shoot-outs, the hangings, the drag-thru-desert scene, the beating scene while music plays, the civil war bridge-busting scenes, the stand-off in the cemetery. this film is a blast from beginning to end, and you don't even notice its incredibly long 3hrs runtime.

Trailer:

A Must-own, a Must-see, an 11 out of 10. Come on, Listal. Let's make this our new #1. As good as Godfather and Shawshank are, they still should take back row seats when 'The Good, The Bad and the Ugly' is considered.