Posted : 6 months ago on 26 January 2014 06:42

The best soundtrack, atmosphere, and the overall experience of enjoying 3 hours of western epicness.

Posted : 1 year ago on 17 July 2013 04:54

Without belaboring any points, Leone's existential Western ruminates on man's inhumanity to man. At one point, Blondie sizes up the war: "I've never seen so many men wasted so badly." And an unpleasant family reunion between Tuco and his brother, a priest, considers the merit of two responses to poverty: is being a thief or a priest a saner response to the world into which they were born? With every man for himself but fatefully tangled up with the others, it's easy to pity Tuco, hiss the hard and dastardly Angel Eyes, and root for the self-amused centeredness of the "good" Blondie, though the men are driven by the same instinct of self-preservation. The sublime film music, now-iconic situations, and sure visual style add up to a pitch-perfect genre pic that ongoingly influences generations of hip filmmakers.

Posted : 1 year, 1 month ago on 29 June 2013 01:26

This movie is the best in the world, no film can compare to this western classic, no matter the genre, Clint Eastwood is the BEST movie cowboy EVER!!!

Posted : 1 year, 8 months ago on 11 November 2012 09:57

Hate to say this but this film starts off as a badly tuned guitar. The opening 25-30 minutes are clunky, loud and unmemorable. Only when Leone passes the half-hour mark does he find his true ground and plays the rest of the film in a memorable and we-all-love-to-love fashion. Westerns have largely been nitty, gritty, ruff, tuff and violent, and this film is no exception. Three characters with little or no soul in them start off an epic journey to find a stash of gold buried in a cemetery. This is the third time we're seeing The Man With No Name and the second time Angel Eyes, but they suddenly become just faces at the arrival of the newcomer, Tuco. Not only he makes us forget about the others but demands your utmost attention and concentration. Leone's Western characters have always been interesting and/or mysterious but none has been like Tuco here; Wild, cruel, sadistic, practically all of the 7 deadly sins and then some. You get to see so many different sides of him and they change so rapidly that if you were feeling remorseful of him in one scene then you were feeling hostile towards him 20 seconds later. Since the other two speak, in contrast to Tuco, very little, the latter makes all the gaps in the film interesting.

Just like the previous two films, this one is too violent and gory. What I like about this film is that everything seemed authentic. Every gunshot sounded real, every fall was convincing, every piece of clothe seemed lived in, every character and their mannerisms seemed bloody perfect and all that. Virtually everything felt real, as if you travelled back in time in a time-machine.

In the performances, both Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef were great in their roles but it was Eli Wallach that stole the spotlight. His character, although unlikable, was the most human and Wallach played him so seamlessly that he should've been nominated for an Oscar. The supporting and the minor were fine but they were better than most extras and/or supporting cast from other films. They were also in harmony with the film and kept it going.

In conclusion, this film plays like an explosion at the blood factory and is a great example on how to make a simple story entertainingly complex. Don't just watch this installment, watch the full trilogy.

8.5/10

the good,bad and the ugly

Posted : 2 years, 8 months ago on 20 November 2011 03:16

In the last and the best installment of his so-called "Dollars" trilogy of Sergio Leone-directed "spaghetti westerns," Clint Eastwood reprised the role of a taciturn, enigmatic loner. Here he searches for a cache of stolen gold against rivals the Bad (Lee Van Cleef), a ruthless bounty hunter, and the Ugly (Eli Wallach), a Mexican bandit. Though dubbed "the Good," Eastwood's character is not much better than his opponents -- he is just smarter and shoots faster. The film's title reveals its ironic attitude toward the canonized heroes of the classical western. "The real West was the world of violence, fear, and brutal instincts," claimed Leone. "In pursuit of profit there is no such thing as good and evil, generosity or deviousness; everything depends on chance, and not the best wins but the luckiest." Immensely entertaining and beautifully shot in Techniscope by Tonino Delli Colli, the movie is a virtually definitive "spaghetti western," rivaled only by Leone's own Once Upon a Time in the West (1968). The main musical theme by Ennio Morricone hit #1 on the British pop charts. Originally released in Italy at 177 minutes, the movie was later cut for its international release.

My favorite Western

Posted : 3 years, 9 months ago on 22 October 2010 11:03

Indeed, it is my favorite Western. I started to watch it as a kid with my father and I was actually planning to watch it again this time with my step-son but I ended up watching it on my own. I guess it is just too slow paced for him. Anyway, I had recently seen again ‘A Fistful of Dollars’ and ‘For a Few Dollars More’ so I obviously had to round up this trilogy with this seminal classic. In my opinion, it clearly stands apart from the rest of the trilogy as the scope was much bigger this time and Sergio Leone had rather impressive budget, at least for the time period. Indeed, there was even some room for a war scene and Leone didn’t really focus on Clint Eastwood like in the previous movies but he spent some good amount of time with Eli Wallach who had a great character (as a matter of fact, he even had the most screen-time) and he made a great duo with Eastwood. Maybe they could have developed a little more Lee Van Cleef’s character but that wasn’t really a big deal. Eventually, it is pretty much a childhood favorite which goes with Star Wars and Indiana Jones, it is a great classic and a must see for any decent movie lover.

Posted : 4 years, 3 months ago on 25 April 2010 08:18

I didn't expect much for this. This was first western / spagettiwestern I saw. But I liked it. I suprised how handsome Blondie was and how italian the whole movie was altough it was dubbed to english.

I'm going to see other Sergio Leone's movies soon.

The Good, The Bad & the Ugly

Posted : 4 years, 6 months ago on 30 January 2010 06:36

Sergio Leone’s Italian spaghetti Western epic is one of the greatest pieces of purely visual storytelling. There’s very little dialogue, but there’s plenty of music and atmosphere to set the scene and provide the emotions. It’s like a great silent film that’s been filmed in color. This isn’t a John Wayne style Western in which we can easily tell who is good, who is bad and who is going to win in the end. Anyone could die at any minute, and there is no real hero to speak of. The Good, The Bad & the Ugly is a stark and tough piece of art.

Clint Eastwood plays the Man With No Name, probably dubbed as such because throughout this vague trilogy his name changes in each film. He is not a character so much as an archetype, which I think appears in some variation in Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian. Eastwood, naturally, is the “good.” Lee Van Cleef is the “bad” of the title. And Eli Wallach, in full on comic relief-with-a-razor’s-edge mode, is the “ugly.” The plot concerns the three men searching for a fortune in long-lost Civil War gold. But who cares about the plot when the film is so rich in brutal and stripped images. And at three hours long, the film veers wildly into unrelated subplots, such as the prologue. This is a film of ideas and images, not a narrative. There is nothing wrong with that when it retains a certain hard won artistic vitality and keeps your interest. Those vast desert vistas which seem to extend on and on forever aren’t pretty in any conventional sense of the word, but they are a certain kind of pleasing to the eye.

Leone paints with a cinematic brush that alternates between the widest of shots of panoramic beauty and the most claustrophobic of close-ups. There is broad humor and scenes of horrific and graphic violence and bloodshed. The stumble upon the warring factions is beamed in from another movie, but much like Bonnie and Clyde and The Wild Bunch from the same era, it showcases something throughout the film: that violence is not glamorous, it has consequences and it is a bloody affair. The western troupes and stereotypes are given a fresh, new, exciting life in The Good, The Bad & the Ugly.

Grey Hats

Posted : 4 years, 10 months ago on 11 September 2009 05:05

At the outset of the first western movies, the cowboy characters had been categorized between two basic types: Those who wore the white hats, & those who wore the black ones.
As time passed though, the hat colors began to blur between who was bad, who was bad, & then to eventually who was just plain ugly.
Though the final film in the "Man With No Name" trilogy, IMO, the best & most definitive one of the three.
It's almost impossible to think of the genre of the spaghetti western, let alone this particular series & not think of the iconic trio of Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef & Eli Wallach.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted : 5 years, 10 months ago on 14 September 2008 12:40

Combine Grand operatic visuals, satisfying but unrealistic action set to the sound of a classic Ennio Morricone soundtrack that has a unique Spanish/Western flavor, and you have a true masterpiece by Sergio Leone.

Leone does not care about the practical or the plausible, but builds on an abundance of Western movie cliches, It is a tribute to an American genre surviving the test of time. "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, is a mad epic of another day/time or place in the imagination with a deliberate style intended to draw attention to itself with it's celebration of bold gestures and mythic like characters.

« Prev12 Next »