An average movie

Posted : 4 years, 3 months ago on 1 August 2013 02:18

It is one of those movies I have seen ages ago and maybe I should re-watch it at some point. Back in those days, Tom Cruise was the biggest and unchallenged movie star and all his movies were making some big bucks. It is rather sad that, 20 years later, Cruise is still trying to hold on his former glory. I mean, the box-office works really differently nowadays and the only bankable actors, Will Smit and Johnny Depp, both got some major flops this year and it seems that nobody can open a movie on its own nowadays. Anyway, back in those days, Tom Cruise was still fresh and young and ruling the box-office and, this time, he showed up in one of those John Grisham’s book adaptations. If you have seen one of them, you basically have seen all of them. Basically, they are some rather preposterous thrillers involving some lawyers and judges and I’m not really a fan of those. Still, this one was easily the most successful one (back in those days, Grisham was maybe as popular as Dan Brown) and still pretty entertaining. Tom Cruise is always decent in this kind of parts and Gene Hackman was the most dependable bad guy of the 90’s and was pretty awesome as usual. To round up the cast, you had Jeanne Tripplehorn, Hal Holbrook, Terry Kinney, Ed Harris, Holly Hunter, David Strathairn, Gary Busey, Tobin Bell and they all did a pretty good job even if it was rather pushing it to give an Academy award nomination for Holly Hunter since her performance was not even 6 minutes long. Still, I really have a weak spot for Sydney Pollack’s work and his directing was as usual pretty solid. To conclude, even though I don’t think it is anything really amazing, it remains a decent thriller and it is definitely worth, especially if you like the genre.