Posted : 1 month, 3 weeks ago on 5 June 2014 10:58

Only dream I ever have... is it the surface of the sun? Everytime I shut my eyes... it's always the same.

Sunshine is such a beautiful but it saddens me that it missed its opportunity from being a great film to an amazing film. Seeing that i watched Danny Boyle's newest movie "Trance" just last month i thought id give this another watch because i had only seen it once before so i figured id give a proper review for it rather then the horrible one i had before. It took me awhile to finally get around to watching this movie and by then i had pretty much known most of the cast by seeing them in previous movies. Cillian Murphy leads the film and does an amazing performance, then we have Chris Evans, Cliff Curtis, Rose Byrne, Michelle Yeoh, Hiroyuki Sanada, Mark Strong and a few others and all of them do solid performances well other then Mark Strong because i absolutely hated his role as the horror part in the film.

The film follows a group of scientist and astronauts on a spaceship named the "Icarus II". headed to reignite our dying sun by launching a massive bomb into it. Now the first 45 minutes of this film was simply beautiful with many gorgeous scenes reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey but after that the film turns into a bit of a mix bag for me. On there way to the sun they hear a distress signal they soon find out that its the "Icarus I" so they weigh out their options to see if they should attempt to recover the other bomb and while some don't think its a good idea the final decision is up to Capa(Murphy) and he chooses that they should recover it. While on there way to the Icarus I something happens to the ship resulting in the death of one team member and making the trip to the other ship a must. Once they get on the ship they figure out what happen to the other team and from here the movie turns from being a beautiful sci-fi film to a sci-fi horror which honestly ruined the whole vibe of the film for me.

To make things worse was the horrible screen distortion the film had every time Mark Strong was in it and after the fifth time of seeing shaky, blurry scenes i could only shake my head as we have to sit through another 10-15 scenes of the same shaky, blurry crap. What is a saving grace about the second half of the movie is that it has great acting mostly by Cillian Murphy who does a phenomenal job and the few beautiful scenes they had like in the first half. The film had such penitential but it decides to throw away its awe inspiring first act for a subpar and rather underwhelming second act. The special effects were top notch and they display that by showing you mesmerizing shots of planets as they past by them and the sun and the last scene with Capa which was spectacular also the score by John Murphy was simply perfect maybe one of the best all time at least for me.

Overall i give it a 8.0 It just sucks this film had to have horror in it because other then that this would for sure be in my top ten favorite sci-fi films.

Posted : 1 year ago on 6 July 2013 10:35

I have mixed feelings about Sunshine, I like the start but was a bit disapointed in the middle. However I do like it enough to watch it again, the story starts off on a spacecraft where a crew are sent off to restart our dying sun, on the way they run into the first ship that failed the mission. The story is a mix of science fiction/horror, like I said the middle part I was disapointed in maybe because of the storyline going a bit crazy. It is a good movie to watch besides the crap part which is not the whole movie, I also enjoyed the actors in the movie it stars Cillian Murhpy who I think is a good actor, as well as Michelle Yeoh, Rose Byrne, Chris Evans and a few more really good actors which helps a movie when the story goes a bit crazy. If you like a mix of Sci-Fi and Horror than Sunshine is a good one to watch.

Posted : 2 years ago on 2 July 2012 07:58

I'm in two minds as to whether I enjoyed 'Sunshine'. The first hour of this movie was brilliant; it was intriguing, suspenseful and it had me hooked. The cast was good, lot's of familiar faces with no overbearing dominant lead. However the second half of the film, once the 'twist' had been revealed, I found anticlimactic. I'm sure there will be those who disagree, those that will claim 'the twist' was a stroke of genius. They are probably the same people who were gobsmacked to learn that 'Harry the Hypnotist' was the 'Ghost Clown' in Scooby Doo.
That said I feel i am being a little harsh on the film, I did enjoy it, mostly because i forgot to read the synopsis and kept expecting a horde of aliens to pick them off one by one. It was a solid film, soothing soundtrack, great visuals, if a little samey - Hey they're in space, that'll happen. A decent watch. Sci-Fi fans rejoice.

A very good movie

Posted : 3 years, 6 months ago on 29 January 2011 08:15

Since 'Shallow Grave', I watched every movie directed by Danny Boyle and he never disappointed me. Therefore, I was really eager to check this flick and, once again, he managed to create a really fascinating picture. Danny Boyle this time worked again with Cillian Murphy, 5 years after '28 Days later...' and the rest of the cast was also quite intriguing (Chris Evans, Michelle Yeoh , Rose Byrne, Mark Strong, Cliff Curtis). Personally, I think it is one of the most underrated features made by this director. The point is that it has been criticized because it was supposedly not really original but it didn't bother me whatsoever. I'm a sucker for such stories and I thought that the concept was very well handled. I mean, you can easily figure that, with another director (let's say... Michael Bay for example), they would have been lots of explosions, shootings, chases, whatever... Not here... Indeed, even though the special effects were pretty good, that was not the point of this movie and the plot was really interesting, at least, that's my opinion. To conclude, it is some high caliber SF with some brain and soul and it is definitely worth a look, especially if you like the genre.

Boyle has done it again!

Posted : 4 years, 7 months ago on 2 January 2010 12:19

After a first viewing in 2007 of Sunshine, it disappointed me. I hadn't watched 2001: A Space Odyssey before I watched Sunshine so I didn't really like what I experienced. After I did see 2001: A Space Odyssey and then Sunshine I loved it! The story is very unusual but it does adapt together very well a lot like 2001: A Space Odyssey. It wasn't a very long film but it seemed quite a slow story which was the actual point of Sunshine. It is a film that is quite terrifying because of the sun dying. Yes, the sun will die but not until billions of years time. The story is a real take-on with 2001: A Space Odyssey but I still like that film more than Sunshine. Sunshine is beyond any other science fiction film of this decade (except WALL-E) because of the visual design and how it was filmed. This film is quite beautiful as well because it does show us the pure beauty of space. It is terrifying as well because some sort of monster comes onto the ship and tries to stop the crew from saving mankind and the sun itself. That monster is a bit like HAL 9000 because they both try and stop each other's missions. That is where it is a bit of a sci-fi horror film. This may sound weird but it is a bit like us giving our sun a paracetamol or antibiotic for it to get better so to speak.

Cillian Murphy was good as Robert Capa. Robert is a physicist who operates the massive nuclear device. He becomes the hero of all of them. Chris Evans was better in this film than he was in the two Fantastic Four films. I liked the whole cast of this film which also includes Bond girl Michelle Yeoh.

Danny Boyle has directed Sunshine like no other director could. He directs this story a lot like how Stanley Kubrick directed 2001: A Space Odyssey. Boyle has created a sci-fi film that is bloody amazing and is very realistic. Boyle fascinated me a lot with Sunshine because he has directed films with different genres and themes. The script was really awesome from a really well filmed story. The visual effects are just amazing which is typical and original of a space film. It was very realistic effects. I think the space scenes involving the sun and space itself was filmed inside a massive hall or somewhere like that but will a lot of computer design to make the space effective. I wasn't keen on this one to start with but after seeing Danny Boyle's great success with Slumdog Millionaire and it the Oscar favourite for Best Director and Best Picture, I thought I might as well give this film another did in which I did. I don't regret watching this film again because this became an amazing piece of filmmaking. This is the science fiction film of 2007.

Trainspotting is my favourite Danny Boyle film definitely. Sunshine is one of my top 10 science fiction films ever. Masterpiece! Sunshine is the 2000's (decade not century) of 2001: A Space Odyssey where it is loved for its creative storyline and amazing visual design but where it can be hated because of slow dialogue and 'bad' effects. It depends on the individual person. Sunshine is definitely one of the best British films ever and is probably the best science fiction British film of all time. Carry on bringing us more masterpieces, Boyle!

Visually stunning movie with a good premise

Posted : 5 years, 1 month ago on 2 July 2009 10:40

Sunshine isn't something to be marveled by it's plotting and characters nor even the acting, it's all vague and even kinda stupid at times. What is great about this movie is the premise of Sun being on the edge of shutting down, thus killing all the life on Earth, and people trying to re-ignite it with a nuclear weapon. A good idea and highly entertaining. As expected, everything goes terribly wrong and here we go again.

The movies's visuals and sound effects are something else though. They exceed the regular scifi movie level, and Sunshine is beautiful to look at. If you can't appreciate this, you'll certainly be bored and confused. Otherwise it's an experience you probably won't regret.

best movie ever.

Posted : 6 years, 4 months ago on 31 March 2008 12:20

This may be my absolute favorite movie.
And even though the mood is apocalyptic it was oddly enough, a very feel-good movie because it was done so well. Be prepared to be taken out of the real world and thrown into this movie because that is really what happened for me. The acting was great. Cillian Murphy was brilliant.
The theme song for Sunshine, played by Leon Sidik, really added a lot to the movie. I was disappointed that a soundtrack hadn't been released.

The sun needs new batteries.

Posted : 6 years, 4 months ago on 24 March 2008 06:59

I was expecting a film like 'The Core'. Riddled with inaccuracies and soiled humour. However, this film isn't like that at all and I personally feel it is among the greats of modern sci-fi.

Danny Boyle has done some questionable work in the past but I believe this is one of his best films to date. The surrealism alone creates a unique atmosphere for such an alien and impossible concept.

The ensemble cast was reminiscent of Alien, where fewer is better. Chris Evans proves his talent as a versatile actor again and I'm hoping he has better things in his future.

I think it is safe to say that I'm in love with this film. I always think about watching it and I feel I may be obsessed. These emotions alone have secured it a place in my heart. I may have to re-rate....

I usually hate it when Sci-fi and Horror are mixed or grouped together. The addition of Pinbacker brought that extra milestone to the final resolution which the heroes needed to overcome.

A great film that should never be doubted at least one watch.

Posted : 6 years, 4 months ago on 14 March 2008 07:03

This is a good film with a delightful premise that kept me interested from the very beginning. I had immediate concerns when I saw the crew of the ship as I assumed they'd all develop obvious character flaws early on that would end in disaster for the mission, but that wasn't so much the case. Their mission is to re-ignite the sun. A simple premise and one that would probably ultimately have succeeded were it not for an unexpected rendez-vous.

As well as solid performances, this film was supported by an exceptional soundtrack, which really enhanced the atmosphere (lol) and solitary conditions aboard the ship. The final act was on the confusing side, but I just accepted and enjoyed it, rather than picking holes with it. It's not a perfect film but it's an enjoyable adventure.

Sunshine or 2001 2007

Posted : 6 years, 4 months ago on 5 March 2008 10:36

Ok, it took me 2-3 months to finish this movie. I was so bored that I stopped halfway through and never got started again. Finally finshed it so I can review it.
The first half was pretty slow and almost boring, and the 2nd half was almost as slow and really confusing. All in all this is an artistic movie that seem to be artisticly inspired by 2001 A Space Odyssey.

« Prev12 Next »