A pretty good movie

Posted : 5 years, 7 months ago on 18 November 2010 12:16

To be honest, before watching this movie, I had some mixed expectations. Indeed, on one hand, I was quite eager to check it out because I always had a weak spot for Claire Danes. On the other hand, since it was written by and starring Steve Martin, it could turn out to be pretty lame after all. Indeed, through the years, I kept trying with Steve Martin, I gave him the benefit of the doubt so many times but, eventually, I came to the conclusion that most of his movies are actually rather worthless. I mean, he has made a few good movies, not many though, and I’m pretty sure I can count them on one hand (for a career including more than 40 movies and going over more than 3 decades, it is pretty pathetic in my opinion). However, this movie turned out to be one of those few exceptions and I thought it was indeed pretty good. I have to admit it, there was definitely nothing revolutionary about it but I still liked the damned thing. Above all, it was especially refreshing to see Steve Martin playing an introvert character instead of the usual hysterical figures he usually portrays. Furthermore, this movie was just quite charming and it really appealed to me. To conclude, even though it was not a masterpiece, I thought it was decent watch and it is definitely worth a look.

Shopgirl review

Posted : 6 years, 10 months ago on 10 August 2009 06:25

As Ray Porter watches Mirabelle walk away he feels a loss. How is it possible, he thinks, to miss a woman whom he kept at a distance so that when she was gone he would not miss her. Only then does he realize that wanting part of her and not all of her had hurt them both and how he cannot justify his actions except that... well... it was life.

Is just heartbreaking and a beautiful story. The movie is touching, calm and so romantic. It is exactly how a girl would feel seeing someone play basically her.