A very good movie

Posted : 3 years, 10 months ago on 2 February 2011 12:35

I'm a huge fan of Katsuhiro Otomo, the guy who has created ‘Akira’ and when I saw this movie at the local video shop (no dvds back in those days), I was really eager to check it out (Eventually, I loved this movie so much, later on I even bought the dvd when I got the opportunity). To be honest, even shown Otomo is shown or mentionned prominently on all the promotional material, he didn’t actually direct this flick so that was a little bit disappointing. Still, Katsuhiro Otomo did write this futuristic tale and it was once again quite fascinating. What I really enjoyed is that even though it was dealing with the near future like ‘Akira’, the tone was really different and the whole thing was actually really funny. Usually, I have a rather hard time with comedies because, usually, they are just plain stupid. Not here, I thought it was actually quite deep, with some interesting thoughts about how the world population is rapidly growing old and how we might handling this phenomenon. Furthermore, the animation looked really good, even though there again Otomo was not actually responsible for the design. To conclude, I thought it was a beautiful, thoughtful and entertaining movie and it is definitely worth a look, especially if you like the genre.