A good movie

Posted : 3 months, 4 weeks ago on 4 May 2015 10:29

To be honest, it has been a while since I have seen this flick and I should probably re-watch it at some point. I have noticed that this movie has somewhat reached a cult status but, personally, I always had some mixed feelings about the whole thing. I mean, sure, I thought it was pretty good and quite clever but I can’t say I was really blown away by this tale. The point is that, even though it was supposed to be a smart satire, I thought it was indeed entertaining but, all in all, the plot was a little too pedestrian and predictable for my taste. It is like the mixing of black and white with colors, it was technicaly interesting and it was a nice touch but it was in no way really ground-breaking in my opinion. Concerning Reese Witherspoon who was just 22 years old at the time, this movie is a fine example of how interesting her career was at first (see also ‘Freeway’, ‘Election’, ‘American Psycho’) but, unfortunately, it all stopped with ‘Legally Blonde’ which did manage to give her a A status but since then, most of her movies have been more underwhelming than inspiring. To conclude, even though I wasn’t completely sold, it was a still decent feature and it is definitely worth a look.

Pleasantly Surprised

Posted : 8 years, 8 months ago on 6 December 2006 08:12

Pleasantville is an interesting look into the cultural advancement of society with the introduction of modern life. The storyline (especially the ending) may be a bit trite, but the imagery and creativeness of the film's transition from black and white to color is pretty remarkable.