Pleasantville review

Posted : 2 years, 9 months ago on 5 January 2012 11:20

This movie reminded very much of "The Truman's Show" where everything is perfect but there is no freedom of choice. Every day is nothing but repetitiveness, acting, memorized scripts but nothing spontaneous. No insight into good and evil. I thought the idea of adding color to the scene every time a character had an insight or became aware of what was good and evil was brilliant. The movie is clever! Fun! It can be analyzed multi dimensionally. One of the most important issues raised in the movie to me is that; for there to be freedom to choose there has to be the ability to think. When one individual thinks, the community can be shaken, so said Aldous Huxley in "Brave New World." If one cannot think there would be any difference between such people and an animal. However, sometimes I wonder about my dog, he is so clever and insightful that I wonder if he really does not think up to a certain level. Somehow he let's me know what he wants, how he feels, and even if he was naughty, I can tell by his face and "doggie body language." Whether this is behavioral or not, I don't know with certainty. The ability to think as given to mankind by God is intriguing as it leads us to things like the woman in the movie giving an apple to her boyfriend to eat and the apple turning red. This can be traced to the Bible story of Adam and Eve. Then there come the consequences. Colors!!!!! When they have, knowledge colors will show. I love that! There is not a good word in the English language for that - but there a Greek "rhema" which means that is reality to me: now! It is the wow moment! I recommend the movie, I found it to be clever, cute, this is a great movie. Favorite Scenes: The red apple; the make up in shades of grey (who would ever think of such a clever thing!). Grey makeup, that is funny! Could it be a grey area? Just think! Favorite Quotes: David/Bud Parker:" They're happy like this." Jennifer/Mary Sue Parker: "No, David. Nobody's happy in a poodle skirt and a sweater set." This quote makes one wonder if mankind could be happy outside the imperfect world we live in. It seems that the movie implies that a perfect world is possible only with freedom of choice - that is one of the most beautiful gift given to men. Just think about it!

Pleasantly Surprised

Posted : 7 years, 10 months ago on 6 December 2006 08:12

Pleasantville is an interesting look into the cultural advancement of society with the introduction of modern life. The storyline (especially the ending) may be a bit trite, but the imagery and creativeness of the film's transition from black and white to color is pretty remarkable.