Nice to look at, but boring

Posted : 4 months, 2 weeks ago on 3 June 2014 04:45

Take 'The Blue Lagoon', take out the shipwreck scene, take out the male teenager and replace him with a man, add some animals and WiFi and the chances are you'll end up with 'Nim's Island'

'Nim's Island' is nice to look at, but boring. It's a kids movie but the plot is too boring for grown-ups; it focuses on Nim (Abigail Breslin) an 11 year old girl who lives on an island with her father (Gerard Butler) and somehow they can handle a computer...on a bloody island?!

But also, Nim and Jack are a big fan of a writer Alex Rover (Jodie Foster) who sends them - yes - emails! And Nim starts to respond and asks her (assuming she's a man) to come to her island. Meanwhile Jack leaves the island. God only knows why. And gets lost at sea! If he's not confident then he shouldn't leave the island!

There are no proper explanations on how they get WiFi, plus it shouldn't be possible on an island, their home is like a real home - only there are loads of creatures scampering around everywhere. Why would Alex just randomly chose to write to Jack? And the scenes of Alex Rover (in Alexandra's imagination) are just so boring and meaningless! Nim gets her supplies from a supply ship that comes by, but how can they afford it? Presumably they allow the ships to take pearls (in 'Return To The Blue Lagoon', a ship comes to the island because the captain has heard of valuable riches in the sea)

Abigail Breslin is actually rather wasted here, I don't blame her for taking part in a kid's movie ('Little Miss Sunshine' was obviously a grown up movie) and it's probably that she took part to explore an island - not all islands are kid friendly you know! (cannibals in 'The Blue Lagoon')

Really, a lot of movies set on islands are just lame ('Cast Away' is a great movie but one of the only good island movies), the lame island movies include 'The Blue Lagoon', 'Return To The Blue Lagoon' (really?), 'Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked' and this!

I do however think the effects are rather good. The sets are well designed but I wish they hadn't made the house look like a real house! It doesn't look like it was built on an island at all!

But also at the end, Jack returns and meets Alexandra but is Alexandra going to leave the island? Of course, 'Return To Nim's Island' showed us that Alexandra left the island and the island faced a new challenge! What, oh what was the real reason for a sequel? My rating of this one is actually quite generous!

A disappointing movie

Posted : 3 years, 2 months ago on 22 August 2011 01:53

Honestly, I wasn’t sure what to expect from this flick but since I have a weak spot for Jodie Foster, I thought I should check it out. Indeed, even though we don't hear much about Jodie Foster nowadays, I still think she is one of the best actresses alive and I would check anything she is in it. However, this time, it was a huge letdown... I mean, like I said before, I wasn't expecting much but I thought this movie was a real bore to watch. Was it really the best script she could get?!? It is like Gerard Butler, ever since he brokethrough with ‘300’, instead of becoming a major action actor, he keeps making movies in different genres, especially some rather underwhelming rom-coms. This time, he goes for a family feature which might have been a good idea at first but when you see the end-result, you wonder if it was really worth the hassle. To be honest, it might be enjoyable for the kids but, personally, I thought the whole thing was rather tedious. Anyway, to conclude, I have seen worse movies but, still, this movie wasn't really entertaining and the whole thing is not really worth a look.

Nim's Island review

Posted : 3 years, 2 months ago on 17 August 2011 03:25

As a family movie, this isn't bad. It's fairly decent if you intend to watch it with children. However, it is a bit rough to sit through if you have no children around to keep it playing. Overall, it's just all right. Nothing special, totally forgettable, and really best left untouched - unless a child you know wants to see it. Even then, there are other, better movies out there to choose before this one.

Too Syrupy!

Posted : 5 years, 6 months ago on 6 April 2009 11:59

This is a children's movie, adults without children can skip this one. The movie is too frenetic and doesn't know what it wants to be. A mix of a child Indiana Jones, a touch magic, a touch of Dr. Dolittle, some fantasy and pathetic romance. Unfortunately, they just don't mix well. Good cast, can't imagine how bad it would have been without them. I don't need a lot of conflict in a movie, but this was just too sweet. Blugh!

An interesting island

Posted : 6 years, 6 months ago on 19 April 2008 08:37

There are couple of high powered actors in this film, but Abigail Breslin is the one that stole the show. Her smile was infectious in Sunshine and it radiates in this film again. She had a positive presence that was contagious and fun to watch.

The one flaw I found in this film was Jodie Foster. She is one of my all time favorite actors but fell short of my expectations in this film. Her acting was fine, but the character that she portrayed was annoying and not much fun to follow for this kind of film.

I took my son and he said the story wasn't new. He'd seen the plot line before, but he liked it because he said it was funny. There are a lot of funny scenes in the movie and it is clean humor. This is a movie that you can take the whole family to and enjoy. It is entertaining and one that everyone should leave with a smile on their face.

Flash