Mystic Pizza review

Posted : 2 years, 8 months ago on 9 January 2012 11:42

Directed by Donald Petrie (Grumpy Old Men, The Favor) this is a story that portrays a minority group, as normal people. I got the tape because of Julia Roberts, and to my surprise there was this wedding with this man singing in Portuguese. I went like what!!! I understand this: Oh, this is Portuguese! What a pleasant surprise! The Luso-Portuguese is nice and Lili Taylor (Born on the Fourth of July), Jojo, singing a lullaby to a child is just a sweet moment. It is true that there is a large population of Portuguese fishermen in that part of the US. Three Portuguese/ American girls work in this pizzeria in Mystic, Connecticut. Annabeth Gish (Beautiful Girls, Nixon) is Kat the intelligent sister who is going to Yale who also babysits. Jojo, who is my favorite character, and Daisey, Julia Roberts (Notting Hill, Something to Talk About, Pretty Woman). Vincent D'Onofrio (Men in Black) Bill, is Jojo's fiancé. Jojo runs from the altar because she is afraid of commitment. Jojo's thinks like the average man. She loves him but does not want to loose her identity. They have a great sex life and Bill says that Jojo is only after his body. Sounds just like a girl talking!

They all work for Conchata Ferrell (L.A. Law, My Fellow Americans) who is the pizzeria owner, and has this secret mix for the pizza. The girls are like her daughters since she has no kids. Kat so smart, unfortunately ends up having an affair with a married man William R. Moses ("Falcon Crest"), Tim and cries her eye ball's out. Girl, what did you expect! Daisy falls for a rich law student. Jojo ends up marrying Bill. Favorite scenes: Jojo singing the lullaby, Daisey filling up her boy friend's car with fish and junk. The little delivery pizzeria car is a painted ex US Mail - truck, which is adorable! The food critic, and the dentures in the glass of water. The atmosphere and friendship between all of them makes Mystic Pizza a fun movie. This is not a super - intellectual type of movie, but a nice story about three young women. I have the tape and enjoy watching it. It is just fun!

An average movie

Posted : 2 years, 10 months ago on 29 November 2011 10:22

If I recall correctly, I have seen this movie a very very long time ago and I thought it was time for a re-watch. Basically, it was with this flick that Julia Roberts really launched her career. Indeed, it was her first starring role and I must say, after seeing it again, it was better than I thought. I mean, it remains a rather standard romantic-comedy but I thought it was well-made and the characters were actually rather well written. I mean, for example, for once, they didn’t have a fancy creative job, no, they worked in a pizzeria, even though they made it look way more interesting than it must be in real life but that's something inherent to this genre, I’m afraid. Furthermore, I really have a weak spot for Lili Taylor and, as usual, she was just spellbinding to watch and even though I'm not a big fan of Julia Roberts, I must admit, she was really charming in this flick. To conclude, it is nothing mind-blowing whatsoever but it is still a rather well-made and entertaining romantic-comedy and it is definitely worth a look, especially if you like the genre.