A very good movie

Posted : 3 years, 1 month ago on 14 September 2015 07:40

To be honest, even though I did like ‘Take Shelter’, it didn’t completely blow me away but Jeff Nichols definitely displayed some potential and I was really eager to watch his following directing effort. Eventually, I was quite impressed by this flick. The first thing I really enjoyed was the pitch-perfect depiction of teenage first love they gave here. Indeed, pretty much like this young boy, I was 14 years old when I had my first ‘girlfriend’, she was a friend of my sister and she was 18 years old. So, I pretty much knew exactly what the guy was feeling and coming through and it was pretty much flawless in my opinion. Sure, you can argue that it was just a detail but that’s why this movie was so good, it’s because so many details were done right. Indeed, the way the boys were interacting each other, pretty much everything done by Matthew McConaughey who has managed to become one of the most exciting actors during the last 4 years erasing decades of underwhelming work, how Jeff Nichols managed to give this time and place a real genuine feeling, all those details worked so well for me. I have to admit it, there were probably too many characters and too many sub-plots but most of it worked really well and I really enjoyed the damned thing.

Mud review

Posted : 4 years, 10 months ago on 27 December 2013 09:07

I'll be honest I was never really a fan of Matthew McConaughey most of his movies are rather just unwatchable to me save for a few like A Time to Kill, We Are Marshall and Dazed and Confused. Though it seems that with all the highly rated movies that he has either stared in or just acted in this year im really impressed with him and his acting skills. Now I can't wait to see his performance in Christopher Nolan's Interstellar that is coming out next year. I have actally owned this movie for months now and just never really got around to watching it i know Jeff Nichols is a great director i really liked Take Shelter i should've' got around to watching this ALONG TIME AGO.

The movie itself was great yes the story has been done before but it was with a bit of a twist adding a kids point of view so that was great. Sure some will say it was like Stand By Me but for me I just didn't fell it. The whole cast was great both little kids Tye Sheridan and Jacob Lofland both did some great acting they both are young up and coming talent. Although i didn't really care for Reese Witherspoon sure she did ok but i felt like that they should have got another woman for the role personally i would have loved Ali Larter for the role and i thought this was the best i have seen of Reese Witherspoon in a long time.
Matthew McConaughey was just amazing though best i have seen from him ever right from when he first appears on the screen fishing with a small kids fishing rod to when you see him breath in the fresh air at the end he steals the screen.

Overall i give it a 8.2 The movie did feel a bit too long and the action there at the end wasn't anything great but that was needed and im glad it was just the way it was.

Watch-out, it's Jeff Nichols' movie

Posted : 5 years, 1 month ago on 21 September 2013 06:42

It was a kinda sequel to 'Stand by me' from the two boys' perspective but McConaughey character do's all the differences in this story. I hated his role in 'Killer Joe' and liked him in here. The places where movie was shot were the highlight, it was beautiful, feels like happening in the Amazon river basin.

The story had many diversions from the main character, Ellis, his connection with a stranger, his parents fight, his best friend and his typical teenager love affair. It won't just explores, it makes us to scratch our head to think where the characters are heading especially of course Matthew McConaughey's mysterious one. The character developments were very detailed which won't take us to any flashbacks but explains as the way it stream.

The third fine art material from the Jeff Nichols after 'Take Shelter' and 'Shotgun Stories'. I feel Matthew McConaughey is at his very best, he and the two boys given an outstanding performance and well supported by Reese Witherspoon. A nice movie which had ability to create a scenario that you are not expecting. Overall it will make your time worth spending for.

Mud review

Posted : 5 years, 1 month ago on 27 August 2013 05:38

I wasn't the biggest fan of Take Shelter so I had lesser of anticipation for his next film, but I must say that this was very excellent indeed. McConaughey has redeemed himself lately in all of these great movies. I'm also pretty skeptic when it comes to children actors, but the 2 boys here were acting the shit out of the movie.