A good movie

Posted : 1 year, 9 months ago on 1 November 2012 10:00

I have to admit I’m not one of those kids that grew up with this movie, watching it over and over again. I did watch tons of movies (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Bruce Lee, Clint Eastwood, the Gremlins, Van Damme, Schwarzenegger,...) not this one though. Anyway, my wife thought it was a huge gap in my cultural education and, for once, I had to agree with her and I finally managed to watch it. Unfortunately, since I saw it as a grown-up, I can’t say it was really amazing. It has probably to do with the fact that I’m not a huge fan of musicals. Still, it was a good flick, that’s for sure. Julie Andrews gave one of the most memorable acting debut and became an instant star. Furthermore, there were so many iconic scenes, it was pretty neat to finally see them for ‘real’. I don’t know, I guess I’m just an old cynical guy but the whole thing was just way too fluffy and unsubstantial for my taste. Of course, it was meant to be that way, I fully understand that but it doesn’t mean I should enjoy it because of this fact. Still, it remains a classic, it is definitely a fun and entertaining feature and it is definitely worth a look, especially if you like the genre.

A loving family musical!

Posted : 4 years, 7 months ago on 24 January 2010 08:27

This film touched me a lot mostly because of the pure beauty of it. The Mary Poppins character is just a beautiful character that makes her a really sweet young woman and yet quite a demanding character too. Also, despite of how naughty the little kids are, they are quite beautiful characters too because they really like Mary Poppins a lot. Julie Andrews delivers an absolutely outstanding performance as Mary Poppins. Julie uses a typical British voice for Mary Poppins which she doesnt really use in some of her other films. She makes Mary Poppins a really attractive nanny too. Desptite of how good I think Julie Andrews was as Mary Poppins, I prefered her in The Sound Of Music.

Julie Andrews acting career starts with a bang. She won the Best Actress Oscar after only her third film ever. Dick Van Dyke delivers a really good performance as Bert. His character was sort of loopy and a bit of a nut but obviously in a funny way. He deserved his Golden Globe nomination. Karen Dotrice and Matthew Garber were good as Jane and Michael Banks too. Robert Stevenson directs this film really well and makes it a true Disney Classic phenomenon and one of the greatest family films of all time by using beautiful and clever camera angles and also the clever photography that is used. I liked this film a lot more than Nanny McPhee (even though I still really liked Nanny McPhee). Julie Andrews makes a better nanny than Emma Thompson. This film teaches especially kids to have fun as a child no matter what happens and also if a kid has bad problems with either parent then they should at least try and mend it together again.

Mary Poppins is a truly loving musical but I am afraid to say that it isnt one of the best musicals ever. I prefered musicals like Sweeney Todd, Singin In The Rain, Grease, The Wizard Of Oz, The Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, Beauty And The Beast, Moulin Rouge! and Enchanted. Despite that Mary Poppins is still an adorable film that will always be remembered as a loving musical, loving family film and most importantly a film from the creation of the late legendary Walt Disney.