Little Women Reviews

Little Women

An average movie

Posted : 7 months, 1 week ago on 4 September 2013 12:27

I wasn’t sure what to expect from this flick but since there was a very nice cast, I still wanted to check it out. Basically, t is an adaptation of a very famous book which had been adapted so many times, I even used to watch a Japanese cartoon based on this book when I was a kid in the 90’s. For all the live action versions, this is the most recent one and, like I said before, the main attraction was the cast (Winona Ryder, Gabriel Byrne, Samantha Mathis, Kirsten Dunst, Claire Danes, Christian Bale, Eric Stoltz, Susan Sarandon). And indeed, they all delivered some solid performances and the directing by Gillian Armstrong was also pretty decent but I seriously had a hard time to care about the whole thing. The great Roger Ebert was more enthusiast than me and was apparently slowly won by this adaptation but, in my case, I admired the work and skills involved in this production but it wasn’t a drama which really managed to impress me. You could say that it was a major chick flick and that’s why I didn’t like it much and, even though it might be possible, in my opinion, the story was rather too shallow and over sentimental. To conclude, even though I didn’t really like it, it remains a solid drama and it is definitely worth a look, especially if you like the genre.

Little Women review

Posted : 2 years, 3 months ago on 7 January 2012 12:37

Based on the novel by Louisa May Alcott," Little Women" is of my favorite stories and movies. I especially love this rendition with actresses and actors of our days. I identify with the characters and see my three sisters and myself in the March sisters. I am the second of three sisters as "Jo March", Winona Rider (How to Make an American Quilt ) is in the movie because I write, I am very outspoken, and thrive much for perfection, this is definitely a movie for me. I love the beautiful scenery, the love between the four sisters as children and as adults, and find little "Amy" Kirsten Dunst (Wag the Dog) very amusing as I always found my baby-sister very wise and fun. I love Susan Surandon (Dead Men Walking) as "Marmee March" because she teaches their daughters to be honest and decent people, not because they are women but because they are human beings. This movie is an absolute ten. This is a type of story that will always be loved because people can identify with it. I also like Denise Di Novi's (The Nightmare Before Christmas) productions and that is one off her best productions. My favorite scenes: When "Laurie" Christian Bale (A Midsummer Night's Dream, Empire of the Sun) is accepted as a member of the girls acting club, "where they reveal their most appalling secrets and bear their souls." Laurie promising to kiss Amy in case she is about to die without been kissed. "Beth March" Claire Danes ("My So-Called Life", To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday) saying that she will be homesick for Jo even in heaven. This a very sweet moment! "Meg March" Trini Alvarado (Paulie) wedding "John Brooke" Eric Stoltz (Jerry Maguire). When " Friedrich Bhaer" Gabriel Byrne (The Usual Suspects) tells Jo that his hand are empty and she says that his hands are not empty anymore, by holding his hands. Favorite Quotes: Jo: " I find it poor logic to say that because women are good they should vote. Men vote because they are male and woman shouldn't vote not because they are angels and man are animals but because we are human beings, and citizens of this country." Mayor: "You should have been a lawyer Ms. March!" Jo:" I should have been a great many things Mr. Mayor."