Hatchet Reviews

Hatchet

Hatchet review

Posted : 2 years, 7 months ago on 5 September 2011 12:11

I really enjoyed "Hatchet". I have seen it twice now, and it still holds up. Yes, I don't like Joel David Moore, I don't understand how someone so terrible made it into the acting world, but I definitely enjoy the film despite him. Mercedes McNabb, Richard Riehle and Patrika Darbo all do good jobs of acting badly.

I love the inclusion of Tony Todd and Robert Englund, and Kane Hodder in his dual roles, is great stuff. Yes, the movie isn't overly well written, yes the movie is very gory, but it's done well enough and the special effects aren't cheesy or terrible. I re-watched this because I want to watch the sequel, and only hope the second one is as good as the first!

Hatchet review

Posted : 3 years, 6 months ago on 3 October 2010 11:46

Um...maybe it's that I've lately and almost exclusively been watching a lot of intense, disturbing, and usually foreign horror/thrillers, but I found Hatchet to be a breath of fresh air. This movie certainly has its flaws--its almost as though the director made what turned out to be a pretty solid film by accident-- but it succeeds on many levels as well. As you may have heard this movie doesn't take itself too seriously, and in this case that attitude works in its favor. Sure, some comical lines don't come off, but enough of them struck the right chords to keep me amused. There are a few faces that comedy lovers will instantly recognize, a Very pretty face that I didn't recognize (the one that doesn't show us her nipples) and of course a few of THE faces of eighties horror. And it is eighties slasher/chase horror that this film is paying homage to. The gore and makeup effects are acceptable, and sometimes impressive, while the villian itself ought to please B-horror fans. Overall, this is a fun, slick film with some modest scares and and a suprising amount of goofy, well delivered laugh-getters-- enough to make you forget that the thrills never quite achieved awesomeness. Not all films have to set out to be GREAT and oddly enough to say, this one benefits from never aiming for it in the first place. See it before the sequel comes out so that you can say you remember when the Hatchet Series was good.

Back To Basics

Posted : 6 years, 2 months ago on 17 February 2008 06:47

Basic plotline.
Gory splatter FX.
Gratuitous breast shots.
Unstoppable deformed killer.
Yep, it has all the ingredients for a return to early '80s era slasher/splatter films. If you're not already a fan of the above-mentioned genre of films, this probably won't make you one. But if you are a slasher fan, you would do well to check this movie out. It's not mind blowing (then again what slasher film is?), but it does feature enough of the "red stuff" to please most gorehounds. Plus it features humour that actually works for the most part; and this comic element is kept separate from the horror element, so that it doesn't slide into self-parody (ala SCREAM). It's definitely better than what's being churned out in American mainstream horror these days (who needs another shoddy remake of a superior Asian horror film anyway).

Old School Horror

Posted : 6 years, 2 months ago on 5 February 2008 04:19

I just saw this movie this past week and its was pretty good. This movie was supposed to be released in theatres, I remember seeing trailers and previews for it at the movies but I guess it never made it. I dedided to buy it when I saw it, and I was not dissapointed. This movie was billed as "Old School" Horror, and let me tell you that is exactly what it is. The plot is basic just as all the Friday the 13th and all the other Nightmare on Elm Street movies, the thing that set this movie apart is pretty simple, the effects and the way the killer disposes of his victims is pretty cool and creative. This movie has no CG in it! So if you are a fan of old school horror and gore this movie might intrest you. Its pretty clear in the first 10 minutes of the film that its not a big budget movie but give it time and you might just enjoy the film!