Posted : 5 years, 8 months ago on 22 February 2013 05:47

Clint Eastwood is one of my favourite actors and I don't think I've seen a film with him in that I haven't liked but I haven't seen many of the ones he directed himself, however if they're all like this then I will be seeing a lot of them very soon.
Clint proves once again he's still the 'always cool, but don't f*ck with me bad ass' we know from his previous films, even when he's an old man.(Of course he proved this in Unforgiven as well)

"Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have fucked with? That's me."

The whole thing starts off with portraying Clint's character as a grumpy old man, which to be fair doesn't change much throughout the film, but he does come to accept the Koreans next door and eventually become fond of the son and daughter. He allows the son to work for him, although he origionally doesn't really care for him, eventually he starts attempting to build the kid up as more of a man, which makes for a nice storyline to smooth out the violence. If you take look past the friendly racism, Clint's character is really funny, you can also really feel the connection between him and his car, the Gran Torino, the car not just being special to him because he had a part in building it, but because it's a symbol of himself.
Although Clint's characters death at the end was inevitable, I really wasn't expecting it to happen the way it did, no way was I expecting him to go there unarmed! Although he proved himself to be the better man and got rid of the problem(s) like he wanted.
The cast seems mostly perfect for the roles, not sure if I cared much for Bee Vang performance as Thao, but other than that they all fitted, even Clint's son!

Re: Thao, AKA Toad (Oh, la-la-la, didy-da....)

Posted : 6 years, 6 months ago on 9 April 2012 05:59

Asian girl: And you're a better man to him than our own father was. You're a good man.

Clint Eastwood: I'm not a good man. Get me another beer, Dragon Lady. This one's empty.

This is one of those hard, gritty, don't-watch-it-if-you're-a-soft-white-intellectual-or-a-Lutheran-minister kind of thing.

....

Although, now that Clint isn't my neighbor anymore....

I actually rather blame him for almost all of.... some of the things, at least.

He's just that damn impolite.

And that's not even to say that this rough man, who obviously does not lack courage, has any lack of honesty and realism, and even good will.

But think of how he would come off in *Seinfeld*.

Or even....

"Now John at the bar is a friend of mine; he gets me my drinks for free; and he's quick with a joke, or a light of your smoke, but there's someplace that he'd rather be." And who's that? John isn't Clint, although perhaps a few words might pass between them....

"Now Paul is a real estate novelist, who never had time for a wife, and he's talking with Davy, who's still in the Navy, and probably will be for life." *Who never had time for a wife*.... *still in the Navy, and probably will be for life*.... Behold the man!

Honestly, sometimes I have to look at myself, and the ideals that have touched me, and actually just ask myself, what I'm holding up.

But, again.... It is what it is, but there is some good in it....

And it sure as fuck isn't fake.

....

Now Tom comes from a strange little family
On the tougher end of this town
And he talks with this old man who growls at him
Though he's not ever once let him down

Oh, la-la-la, didy-da, (why do you folks do *this*, to *me*?)

(9/10)

Posted : 7 years, 8 months ago on 15 February 2011 03:38

another great and amazing movie by Clint Eastwood. Great director and actor! Clint has a amazingly great performance in this movie!

Posted : 7 years, 10 months ago on 19 December 2010 10:19

As Clint Eastwood reaches the end of his life, he presents us with yet another performance which is nothing short of legendary. Wishing to preserve the element of surprise, I will not reveal anything by trying to analyse this great work of art.

I will say this. There are similar qualities to his previous work, but I would say that both his directing and acting have reached a level of maturity comparable to that of an excellent wine. The story was compelling and, mixed with the drama was a refined touch of humour; the perfect combination for a pleasant evening.

I would like to finish by thanking Mr. Eastwood for sharing this touching moment with his audience at a time when most of the cinematic "art" produced in Hollywood consists of stunts and bad jokes.

Posted : 8 years ago on 18 October 2010 01:29

I think the movie was great, very realistic, and touching. Through the whole movie I sat still and gave it a thought...Its not a masterpiece maybe, but definitly woth watching.

A little bit overrated

Posted : 8 years ago on 14 October 2010 10:30

To be honest, from all the recent directing efforts by Clint Eastwood, it must be easily the most overrated one. I mean, it is not that it was a bad movie, it was actually pretty good but I seriously failed to see what was so great about it. I know everybody says this flick is awesome and it is even in the IMDB Top 250 but, personally, I thought it was actually seriously overrated. The only reason I can think of is that it is because Clint Eastwood was in it and that's why everybody was raving about it. I'll give you that, Eastwood was really good and displayed the same charisma he used to have in those Spaghetti Westerns he used to make in the good old days. Unfortunately, the movie didn't have much else to offer, in my opinion. Indeed, the other characters were barely developed and the story would have been more interesting if Eastwood's character would have been a really awful racist *sshole. The guy basically pretends all the way to be a dick but he is in fact actually a rather nice fellow deep inside (rather mushy if you ask me). To conclude, I have to admit, I did like this flick, absolutely, but considering it as one of the best movies directed by and starring Eastwood? no way. Still, it is definitely worth a look, especially if you are interested in Clint Eastwood's work.

E dico Alleluja, cazz*!

Posted : 8 years, 1 month ago on 9 September 2010 06:29

L'eastwood di sempre, il mondo di oggi. I vicini, le mode, i costumi cambiano. E ti cambiano. A poco a poco. E l'eastwood/kowalski di sempre diventa un Eastwood tutto nuovo.
Ottimo.
E stupenda l'omonima canzone di Jamie Cullum e Clint Eastwood.

Posted : 8 years, 6 months ago on 11 April 2010 09:24

Three stars for the amount of disappointment that this film brought me. The plot was promising. I love Clint Eastwood as the racist old the antihero and the social commentary that would have left me with a wonderful impression of the film if any of the characters would have been able to act their way out of a box. I have finally figured out Clint Eastwood's secret to success: surround himself with actors that are so absolutely terrible that he actually looks like an oscar winner in whatever role he's playing. With the plethora of Asian actors out there, why exactly did he have to choose the two who have no clue?

My advice to Mr. Eastwood? Find a better casting director and stick to directing.

Another great Clint Eastwood performance.

Posted : 8 years, 9 months ago on 1 January 2010 11:21

When I saw the poster of this film I knew I was going to see a new Clint Eastwood bad-ass character and I certainly did. This film was very good with a lot of very good characters, with a very powerful way it was filmed and it was a funny film but in a black comedy sort of way. I knew I was going to like this film because it is a Clint Eastwood film (both actor and director) and also the story seems real kick-ass and so does all of the characters within it. What made me laugh in some scenes was the character Clint was playing because he had a lot of moments where they were just too cool to be seeing that character. Gran Torino is a really good fun thrill ride.

Clint Eastwood delivers a performance that should have earned him an Oscar nomination this year. He was robbed of it and it's as simple as that. He gave rebirth towards what sort of actor he was in the past. He relives that personality and cool attitude such as The Man With No Name and Harry Callahan. Clint has always had a good talent at playing really kick-ass characters that are heroes but with a rather cold heart. Walt Kowalski is a grumpy, lonely old man who wants a really wonderful neighbourhood. He is a disgruntled veteran Korean war vet. As far as his privacy is concerned with his lawn and his house, he behaves a lot like Mr. Knebbercracker from Monster House apart from that he holds a shotgun while he is telling the neighbours and Knebbercracker just yells at them which made me laugh a lot. He meets this young Hmong neighbour of his called Thao. He is bullied and abused by his older cousin Spider who is head of a hispanic gang. Walt tries to help Thao stand up to them and teaches him to try and achieve the best things he can get out of life. Walt discovers that he can help Thao by being more loyal to him as the film goes on. This is a better performance from Clint than Million Dollar Baby.

He directs this film like he wants it to be a real kick-ass story that brings back the characters of his career that were in the past. For the past four films he has done, he has done emotional films and with a lot of violence involved: Changeling, Letters From Iwo Jima, Flags Of Our Fathers and Million Dollar Baby. Clint has directed not his best work but a piece of work that he will be remembered for and I am proud to say that.

This is a really good Clint Eastwood film. I liked his other film in 2008 Changeling a lot more which is his best film to date. I liked Mystic River and Letters From Iwo Jima more than Gran Torino. Clint Eastwood has made an excellent return to the screen for the first time since Million Dollar Baby which was 5 years ago now. Gran Torino is a very good film that should be watched and checked out.

Posted : 9 years, 2 months ago on 10 August 2009 04:40

One of the few directors that makes me wanna watch all of his movies. This in particular is very special and probably one of my favourites, if not the favourite that he directed. It tells a history about a war vet called Walt Kowalski that after an event starts to get closer to his neighbor a young Hmong, Thao.
Clint is amazing as always and touching as usual. The character needs a tough man, brave and most of the times rude but he shows all of that and still the soft side that every human being has with some people. He's a lonely man that never got over all of the facts from the past. The relationship with Thao is really simple and with likely father and son moments that are funny and real. They make each other a better person and with everything that happens in the movie, the problems, the people they have to deal with. It's really impressive. I couldn't recommend a better movie and honestly, it looks much better than I tought it was.

« Prev12 Next »