Get Out

Posted : 3 weeks, 2 days ago on 28 March 2018 09:34

Look, just because Get Out is a dark satire about white supremacy doesn’t mean that it should be classified as a “comedy.” You hear my Golden Globes voters? Sure, there’s comedic elements, but there’s also too many psychological torments, scenes of abstract and real horrors, and a reckoning with America’s racial politics that reaches all the way back to the days of slavery in its scope. All of this is to say that Get Out was one of the great discoveries of 2017, and it came from the unlikeliest of sources, veteran sketch comedy artist Jordan Peele.

Peele has given himself an extraordinary task for his debut feature film, an essay of American racial tensions that must deftly float between escalating terror, psychological unease, motor-mouthed comedy, and twisted satire. He not only manages to balance all of those various pieces, but he makes for a coherent, entertaining work that has me excited for what his next film will be. Get Out is a confident debut, the likes of which announce an actor as a legitimate director with a distinct perspective and artistry to spare.

We meet Chris (Daniel Kaluuya in a star making performance) as he’s planning on spending the weekend meeting the family of his girlfriend, Rose (Allison Williams, what an unnerving film debut). Despite living in upstate New York, these affluent white liberals live in a house that teeters uncomfortably towards a plantation. You get the immediate sense that things are “off” long before you meet the family’s black servants who operate more like androids than anything recognizably human.

If your hackles are raised in these opening moments, then you’re clearly clued into Get Out’s wavelength. The air is rich with racial anxiety and tension, no matter how much Rose’s parents (Bradley Whitford and Catherine Keener) proclaim their liberal bona fides, be it their belief that they’d vote for Obama for a third term or praise for Tiger Woods. They believe what they’re selling, but they’re clearly uncomfortable with any form of blackness that can’t be held at a distance or commodified, controlled, or used for their benefit.

One of Peele’s best inventions is a gathering at the family home that initially plays like a gathering of the moneyed elites having fancy sandwiches and tea, but quickly takes on darker intonations. Chris is deluged with a series of interactions that range from commentary based purely in stereotypes to the merely inane to the straight-up patronizing. The entire sequence feels like it comes from a very real place, and Peele manages to make it both hilarious and unnerving in equal measure. This gathering is soon revealed as an auction for Chris’ body and Get Out’s flirtations with slave imagery comes to fruition. It’s a powerful gut-punch and bait-and-switch.

The full extent of the duplicity and villainy of Rose and her family is slowly doled out until it all comes bursting through in the third act. Get Out is careful to unravel its central conceit until this moment, and it manages to do so with the slow drip-drip-drip of escalating unease and tension. It’s a brainy concept for a horror film, white liberals auction off black bodies so that elderly white people can transplant themselves into them as a way of prolonging life or stealing their gifts, and also manages to make a tea spoon’s tinging against the cup into a terrifying sound on par with the alien screech Donald Sutherland unleashes in Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Each plot twist must orbit around Chris, and Daniel Kaluuya’s performance is a wonder. He was rightly nominated for a slew of best actor awards for his work here. Whether it’s his tear-filled stare at a television screen, a heady mixture of abject terror and mind-bending disbelief, or the frustrated smile of yet another patronizing comment, Kaluuya’s reactive performance is a masterful bit of an actor in complete control. His best work may be a quick glimpse of betrayal and heartbreak as he realizes Rose lured him here like a lamb to slaughter. Get Out’s entire conceit needed a strong leading role to ensure it worked in addition to a confident directorial presence. Peele nailed it.

Posted : 2 months, 3 weeks ago on 27 January 2018 02:22

I love it, the farest you can reach now with a genre. This is Rosemary and I walk with a zombi (the other black Kaluuya finds in the reunion) revisited.

Posted : 11 months ago on 25 May 2017 01:54

This is honestly the most satisfying horror film I've ever seen. Retribution for all the black folks who never survived in every horror film, for all the stereotypes and prejudice! Beyond that it is a great film anyway. Great pacing, great acting, great story!

A good movie

Posted : 12 months ago on 23 April 2017 07:03

Since I kept hearing some really great things about this movie, I was really eager to check it out and when I heard we would watch it with my film club, I was just thrilled. Indeed, it would be the first horror movie chosen for our film club so my expectations were really high. Unfortunately, even though it turned out to be a decent watch, I can't say I was really blown away by the damned thing though. I mean, to be honest, after watching this movie, you could be wondering why the critics loved it so much. Seriously, the structure was just really classic and predictable and, from the moment the mystery was revealed, as usual in this genre, the whole thing went just way over the top and, to be honest, I had a rather hard time to really care about what happened afterwards. Still, even though it didn't turn out to be such a masterpiece, it was still fairly entertaining. Indeed, Daniel Kaluuya gave a really a solid performance and even though his character went through some completely unbelievable nonsense, he kept it really grounded and I was always rooting for the guy. His buddy Rodney was also pure gold and, in fact, I wish they brought him as well in this demented journey. Anyway, to conclude, even though I think it is actually overrated and even though I think my rating might actually generous here, I still think it is worth a look though.

"Get Out" (2017)

Posted : 1 year ago on 28 March 2017 08:09

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Chris, a young African-American man, visits his Caucasian girlfriend Rose's mysterious family estate.

Wow, it is insane how much praise this movie's getting! It currently stands at 99% on Rotten Tomatoes, and it's in the IMDb Top 250! And that seems to be because of how cleverly it makes its point on a very touchy subject.

I may not be the best qualified to discuss the issue of racism, but I love how astutely this movie asks why it's still a thing. Everyone, including Chris himself, draws attention to the fact that he's black, but at the same time is kind of nonchalant about it.

It plays out like a mystery story: you know something's wrong with this family and their servants, and you're not even sure you want to know what.

It even stands above many horror thrillers on the market today in terms of craft, for one simple reason: it doesn't rely on jump scares. In fact, I only recall jumping out of my skin once.

The one thing holding it back for me is that, even though Chris's interactions with the family are supposed to be awkward, that still doesn't make them any more bearable.

But aside from that, I can't deny how well written it is, I didn't see the big revelation coming, and I'd happily see this movie again.

My rating: 75%

Posted : 1 year, 1 month ago on 17 March 2017 08:49

I think Jordan Peele is awesome! I loved the show Key & Peele and the Keanu (which he also wrote) movie. The guy is too funny. So when I heard he wanted to take a new route and direct a horror film I was excitedly on board. A funny guy taking on the genre I love should be interesting. I was hooked even before I saw the trailer. Then the trailer came and I was in awe. It looked excellent and fun. Then all I heard were good reviews and praise about it. People just loved it and that really got me excited. So as soon as I could get the chance I went to the theater and saw it.

Boy oh boy that was incredible. This is definitely going to be one of my favorite horror films. It's for sure going to be a top for 2017 films. It was so smartly done. The visuals were great and striking. The acting was excellent. I didn't even realize the girl who played Georgina was the main from The Purge: Election Year until after. Allison Williams was excellent in her role. The best friend though was the best though and the stuff with him really showed the humor Jordan Peele is known for. In fact there are bits throughout where there are funny moments or dialogue which was a nice touch. The way it deals with societal commentary and such was excellent and memorable. I won't say much else other than it really was intelligent and well done.

This was well worth the wait. Who knew that Jordan Peele had the touch of a horror icon to him! I liked the acting and characters. I like how it dealt with society and current issues. It's a smart movie and very well made. I would definitely suggest getting out there and supporting Jordan Peele by watching this. He has four more social commentary horror movie ideas and at this rate I am excited to see them all.