Posted : 1 month ago on 18 September 2017 09:52

Forest Gump is a movie about a below average man who achieves much than anyone would expect and while being in this journey he entertains us. He is declared below average at school, has got braces in his legs during childhood, has a friend jenny who he loves, has a mother who guides him through thick and thin. After school he joins as rugby player excels at it. After rugby he joins army excels at it. He makes great friends with sergeant and a Bubba. After that he excels at ping pong. Sets a shrimp business, becomes rich, runs for a record distance continuously, gets back home. Gets out to search for jenny, who has been in trouble a lot lately. Gets to know about his kid with jenny, and helps him grow.

The movie is simple, emotional, family drama where Tom Hanks is excellent. Great job by director and film makers to create such a movie.

I recommend to watch this movie with family.

Posted : 2 years, 5 months ago on 18 May 2015 12:57

Somehow I never understood why so much people love this movie. The tale isn't bad and there are some interesting quotes and a few great moments. But overall I found this a boring film, It takes to much time for what it is.

The graphics aren't better then any other film. I really don't see why this would be a great film. It is an ordinary film, with really nothing special.

Tom Hanks is a good actor, but he really has nothing to work with here. I like Michael Conner Humphreys much better

Review of Forrest Gump

Posted : 3 years, 2 months ago on 7 August 2014 09:49

Forrest Gump is the kind of film that shouldn't work on any level. It's as manipulative as a film can ever be, pulling strings and begging the audience to cry, and the entire event is drowned in sticky-sweet syrup. And yet - incredibly - Forrest Gump truly works. It is not without flaw - in fact, it would be nearly impossible to count down all of its many problems - but this film succeeds in being an entertaining, whimsical, and - at times - quite beautiful portrayal of life, love, and 20th century America. And while one would be quick to point to director Robert Zemeckis in regards to the film's success, or perhaps Eric Roth's screenplay, or even Winston Groom's book upon which the film is based, I think the reason this film works, is because of Tom Hank's legendary performance as the title character.

Forrest Gump is a slow-witted Alabama native. But indeed, he has extraordinary talent, and an intriguing life story to tell to whoever will sit next to him at the bus-stop.

Despite being embraced by - seemingly - everyone, Forrest Gump actually fared less well than critics. It holds a 72% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is a good score, but not a great one. This is largely because Forrest Gump will not appeal to the cynical. And Lord knows that film critics get enough hate as it is, but there's simply no two ways about it: Film critics, generally speaking, are more cynical than the average movie-goer. Those willing to accept the occasionally preposterous nature of the film and the sometimes cloying sentimental tone will find a lot to enjoy. But if you've never quite cottoned to the sappier efforts of Steven Spielberg or renaissance Disney, you may find Forrest Gump to be an eternal 142 minutes.

One of the problems with Forrest Gump is that the film goes to exceedingly great lengths to make Forrest as endearing and likable as possible. And honestly, it wasn't necessary; he's already a likable character. Additionally, Forrest Gump just seems to be an expert at everything. When we learn he's an incredibly fast runner, we buy that. But after we learn he's incredible at putting guns together, playing ping-pong, etc., things get a little stale.

On top of that, Forrest Gump also has a running gag in which Forrest turns out to be the originator of several pop culture staples, from one of Elvis Presley's dance moves, to the creator of the "smiley" face, etc. Forrest Gump spends so much time winking at the audience, one begins to ponder the likelihood of contracting an eye-lid blister.

In spite of the film's many problems, however, Forrest Gump is a good film, largely thanks to Tom Hanks. His performance adds an element of genuineness and sincerity to the picture, thus balancing the syrupy sap. On paper, the Forrest Gump character comes off as cloying, but when you see Tom Hanks portray this character, it not only works, it comes to life. This is not a case of a great performance making a decent film worth seeing. This is a great performance that elevates everything surrounding it. It gives the movie a classy nature that makes the sentiment feel earned.

There are genuine moments of beauty and grace. In fact, some sequences are almost stunningly beautiful. When the film eases back a little on the sweetness, it has an old-fashioned appeal to it, and an unmistakable charm in the aesthetics of the picture.

The visual effects are superb. Forrest Gump seamlessly blends with the archival footage in an effect that still holds up today. Even more impressive - to my eyes, anyway - is the effect used for a character who has lost his legs in the war, and must function without them.

I've already praised Hanks' performance, but the rest of the cast is worth noting too. Robin Wright plays Forrest's love interest, Jenny, in a more serious role. She captures the depth of the character, and is never as annoying as she might have been in less capable hands. Gary Sinise as Dan Taylor delivers a performance that's absolutely marvelous, and even giving Hanks a bit of a run for his money. Sinise's performance is powerful and gripping. Sally Fields portrays the most charming of the cast, Forrest's mother, in a sweet but memorable supporting role. Michael Conner Humphreys and Hanna R. Hall portray young Forrest and young Jenny respectively in excellent child performances.

Alan Silvestri's score is very pretty, but it receives an absurdly little amount of screen time. It gets two major appearances (other than the credits), and that is the very beginning, and the very end. You hardly hear it at all the rest of the film, which is largely populated with obnoxious, time-period-accurate, pop and rock songs. While they are interesting from a stylistic point of view, they are simply atrocious from a musical one. They end up stealing a lot of screen time that would have been better served by Silvestri's much more palatable musical score.

Forrest Gump is heavily flawed, but it has some wonderful moments. Tom Hanks gives the performance of his life, and despite too much sweetness at times, the film is a real charmer. The acting is great, the screenplay is great, the score is great, and the characters are great. The over-sentimentality brings the film down a bit at times, but it's hard to imagine that too many people would leave Forrest Gump without feeling at least a little better about life.

Tom Hanks gives another showcase performance

Posted : 3 years, 11 months ago on 12 November 2013 06:38

'Forrest Gump' is a very good movie thanks to an interesting story, performance by Tom Hanks and its laughter

Tom Hanks portrays the title character Forrest Gump, he gives a showcase performance as an annoying but hilarious character, one of my favorite Tom Hanks performances

It doesn't deserve to be mentioned alongside 'The Shawshank Redemption' but it is better than 'Four Weddings and a Funeral', the story is very interesting and the whole cast give some very solid performances (Tom Hanks, Robin Wright, Gary Sinise, Mykelti Williamson, Sally Field)

'Forrest Gump' is a very satisfying movie and will entertain anyone (a significant number of audience are calling it one of the best movies ever), it is not my favorite movie but it'll definitely do

I have never read the novel ('Forrest Gump' is based on a novel) but it's probably not as good as the movie, if the novel got a sequel then why didn't the movie?

Tom Hanks has just done 'Captain Phillips' and 'Saving Mr Banks', 'Captain Phillips' was a great movie and I hope 'Saving Mr Banks' will also be a very good movie (even if it doesn't end happy)

It is not my favorite Tom Hanks performance but it is definitely one of them, an annoying but hilarious character is portrayed by the best actor ever, I wish Tom Hanks still did a lot

Life is like a box of chocolates, as is 'Forrest Gump', it is still enjoyable even if you aren't eating chocolates when watching it

To conclude 'Forrest Gump' is a masterpiece, an entertaining, charming classic and definitely worth a look, it is not my favorite movie but it'll do for now

Posted : 4 years, 8 months ago on 26 January 2013 02:08

Forrest Gump is a really instructive movie. It tells about friendship and then love.
He brings a touching gravity to the role of an idiot savant from the South who finds strength in God, country, his childhood pal, Jenny, and his good mama. When Forrest falls a few IQ points shy of minimal school requirements, Mama knows who to sleep with to bend the rules. Her son has a gift. As Forrest makes his pilgrim's progress from the '50s to the '80s, he becomes a college football star, a Vietnam war hero, a shrimp tycoon and even a father.
In a college dorm with Jenny, who lets him touch her breast, the virginal Forrest ejaculates instantly, losing her interest and his self-respect. In the Army, Forrest saves his captain, whose legs are later amputated, and the captain resents him. Forrest is everything we admire in the American character — honest, brave, loyal — and the movie's fierce irony is that nobody can stay around him for long.

Posted : 4 years, 9 months ago on 29 December 2012 06:13

One of the most referenced and epic movies of all time, telling the story of a simple man from Greenbough, AL, who takes life as it comes. Its during the controversial time in the US, the 1960's and tells of how simple life can be if we didn't make it so complicated. Hanks was award an Oscar for best actor in is role as Forrest Gump.

Posted : 6 years, 1 month ago on 31 August 2011 12:26

Forrest Gump is a beautiful film. It makes you both Laugh and cry. I love how the entire film is based on Forrest's point of view. Forrest's character is amazing, Nobody fit the part better than Tom Hanks. This is truly a heart-warming film.

Posted : 6 years, 1 month ago on 30 August 2011 11:16

Beautiful, charming, a ironic and fantastic story told with big passion, a script which verge the surreal, but does the retract of a charismatic character, a anti-hero with charisma of a hero, a story which bring us to get enamored by the meter of the story. And the soundtrack? Damn straight, really flawless! A movie with Doors' music in the soundtrack already deserves my respect, and plus more than one, really impressive. Tom Hanks, really, embodies the character so exceptional! Very well directed too, might say in passing. I can't believe that I took so long to watch this film. I didn't know what I was losing. This movie is one of those which makes me remember why do I love so much movies.

Posted : 6 years, 10 months ago on 19 December 2010 10:17

This is a powerful yet charming movie; fun for its special effects and profound in how it keeps you thinking long after it's over. Like others, I've seen this movie more than once. One comment I've never heard is that Forrest's simplicity is almost zen-like. I should read the novel to get the author's intention (I remember some people preferring the book and complaining that no one at the Academy Awards gave him any credit.) But rather than an implication that you should do what you're supposed to do and believe in God and you'll win in the end, I see it as zen-like, i.e., living in the moment and not having expectations or particular cravings (other than his loving Jenny.) So he ends up just stumbling into all the major historical events of the time. Granted, he achieves this only because he doesn't have the brains to think otherwise and actually have expectations, but so many of our problems are because we do have higher intellect and desires, which ironically makes us unhappy because we know what we are missing. We love our cats and dogs for the same simplicity and always being in the moment. There's a line in the movie wondering if everything is predestined or happens randomly or it's a combination of both. It is something to mull over for a long time.

An overrated movie

Posted : 7 years, 2 months ago on 20 August 2010 09:09

It is basically one of those movies that has created through the years some pretty strong reactions. When I think about it, the only movie I can think of right now which has generated the same kind of extreme reactions must be ‘Titanic’. Anyway, the point is that, on one hand, some people think that this movie is just great, a timeless classic and one of the best movies ever made while, on the other hand, there is a whole bunch of people who think that this movie is not that great all and that it is in fact one of the most overrated features ever made. Personally, I’m afraid I belong to the 2nd group. First of all, the main issue I always had with this movie was with its lead character, the infamous Forrest Gump. I mean, the guy is just so stupid and irritating! I know he is supposed to be touching and all but it didn't work for me at all. And the message it gives... "it doesn't matter if you're stupid or defective, as long as you can play some ping-pong, you will be fine". I thought it was pretty bad and offensive towards mentally impaired people… I know many people see this film as some kind of fairy tale and I have been told so many times I shouldn't take it so seriously and I dig that but it just doesn't work for me. To conclude, I have to admit it,  it is actually a rather well made feature, it is not bad at all and actually rather entertaining but it is far from being a great movie and it is, in my opinion, terribly overrated.

« Prev12 Next »