Eyes Wide Shut Reviews

Eyes Wide Shut

Eyes Wide Shut review

Posted : 2 months, 3 weeks ago on 26 January 2014 10:19

This is an amazing final film by Kubrick. I'm still challenged by this movie's controversial themes, and trying to make out the elements on why even the director considered this to be his best one yet.

Great or grating?

Posted : 1 year, 2 months ago on 1 February 2013 05:05

Definitely the latter. The film was over-long, over-self conscious and predictable. While it definitely looks good, both main characters were two-dimensional (perhaps one in the case of Kidman) and not helped by dreadful dialogue. The sorry also lacked credibility. Long sexually complex nights broken up by Cruise turning up bright-eyed and bushy tailed for the high-powered day job. Or perhaps there is some profound underlying narrative I have missed?

Eyes Wide Open

Posted : 2 years, 2 months ago on 2 February 2012 11:48

Stanley Kubrick’s final film is perhaps the first of its kind: it is the only film I have watched that exists within the state of death itself. It’s no surprise; Stanley Kubrick died 4 days after submitting the final print into Warner Bros., Sydney Pollock died in 2008 and my grandparents, who saw this film during its theatrical release at an ill-fated screening, are dead. However, these aren’t merely the reasons this film evokes a death-like state, this film evokes a death-like state throughout Bill Harford’s sexual odyssey. At the masked ball, which is arguably the film’s centrepiece, women are used and discarded as corpses who are only valued for their material gain. This film is shroud in ultra-violet blue, especially at the end of the film where it accentuates the characters’ trembling flesh and vulnerable humanity, and the powerful red which contrasts against this blue reflects one of Kubrick’s favourite themes: dominance. Perhaps it’s inexplicable that Eyes Wide Shut evokes a man’s dying thoughts. Ironically, this film feels more fresh and timeless than many of its contemporaries, only reaffirming the inestimable value of Kubrick’s contributions to cinema and a decade of a cinematic drought aptly followed his death.

It was fashionable to deride Stanley Kubrick’s final film during its theatrical run, regardless of the fact that he considered it his personal favourite. It seems that the audience expected Kubrick to inundate them with gratuitous eroticism as opposed to ideas. Yet, Eyes Wide Shut has outsmarted time and the film industry itself. It was almost incongruously released a week before American Pie and the abysmal Will Smith star vehicle Wild Wild West. It continues to hold a mere 7.2/10 on IMDb in contrast to escapist science-fiction film The Matrix which holds an 8.7/10 rating and is listed in the top 30 films of all time, above Kubrick’s more cerebral science-fiction classic 2001: A Space Odyssey. All of this may be due to the fact that Kubrick argued that ‘Observancy is a dying art’ and Eyes Wide Shut requires an attention to detail and an attention span that transcends the average summer blockbuster; it’s easy to get lost in the terrifying labyrinth of Kubrick’s musings. Though, unlike other films, Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut refutes the transcendent imagery and magic that is featured in the majority of Kubrick’s films, even in Eyes Wide Shut itself, and strips humanity down to its fragile human core, figuratively speaking; Kubrick comes to the conclusion that when man is confronted with the cold and harsh reality, he favours comforting self-delusion and blissful ignorance.
Sydney Pollock’s Ziegler argues, during his amazing final monologue, that the Masonic orgies are practiced by society’s elite which excludes Bill. Bill spends the duration of the film’s first half attempting to engage in infidelity after his wife reveals that she was willing to choose one night with a naval officer over their future. Naturally, this enrages Bill and he spends the night attempting to fulfil his personal need to subjugate his feelings of impotence, sexual and otherwise. Even in the very beginning, when Bill walks with two models, his short stature implicitly denotes his lack of power. Bill is convinced that he has been subjected to a life of domesticity and his wife is responsible; he vows to reaffirm his masculinity. Kubrick paints long shots of New York at midnight which is designed to inspire the viewer with dread. Almost every single beautiful shot capturing the very essence of soft, warm colours in the beginning soon descends into the dark and strong colours that reflect the very dream-state many describe when they watch this film. Yet, to me, it evokes a foreboding death-like state which suggests impending doom.
Bill’s quest for reaffirmation of his masculinity only renders him emasculated when he enters a Masonic orgy and is rendered socially powerless by a group of the masked elite. Bill’s journey neither leads him towards enlightenment nor satisfaction but humiliation and understanding that he has been domesticated by the higher classes. Ironically, his quest for sexual empowerment only led him to the understanding of social domesticity; Bill is not as influential or elite as he had initially anticipated. Not unlike the elite’s perception of women; they use the high-class prostitutes as objects valued for their material value which reflects their perception of the masses that are responsible for their success. As in the beginning, when Ziegler needs Bill to revive a dying woman who almost overdoses on a combination of cocaine and heroin, Ziegler values Bill for his medical expertise which prevented trouble with the law rather than his personality.

Kubrick’s film argues that we live in ignorance of others perceptions of us and this is the ultimate existential fear of Harford; the elite have seen Harford unmasked, vulnerable and exposed. Pollock says ‘If you knew who was there, you wouldn’t sleep so well.’ Kubrick has finally exposed man for who he really is; vulnerable and ignorant of the mysterious forces which govern him. The final and most playfully complex of cinema’s closing lines concludes that Bill and Alice Harford have learned to stop worrying and love the bomb. They refuse to acknowledge their social impotence and would prefer for their eyes to remain wide shut, ignorant to the mysterious forces that govern them. On a more optimistic note, however, perhaps Bill’s odyssey only made him aware of his vulnerability, and Kubrick evokes this through the dark imagery that recreates the sense of subjective paranoia that Bill is experiencing. Bill realises what ultimately matters: love and family, as opposed to the power which he initially craved but only realised he was at the mercy of others’ application of such social power. I’m open to many interpretations of this film, because Kubrick wanted the audience’s eyes to remain wide open soon after they finished experiencing this masterpiece.

Eyes Wide Shut review

Posted : 3 years ago on 6 April 2011 11:19

Introducing our most humanistic film,Kubrick been testing the values ​​of the protagonist through the temptations of the flesh in an environment that is immersed in Freudian principles and guided by the impulses of fantasies. In so much so intense that the dividing lines between dream and reality become blurred, the definition leaves them prey to the mind of viewer who has to decide whether a product is happening in the beam paths of the subconscious is a perverse reality.
Passion flood every corner, sometimes deep and emotional, and sometimes brutish and crude. The Kubrick made ​​for princes once a multi-layered game.
A goodbye mystery logic, majestic for the senses,geniusly worthy of a director who has stamped the work of our cinematic universe.

An underrated masterpiece

Posted : 3 years, 8 months ago on 19 August 2010 10:59

This was the last movie directed by Stanley Kubrick and many people think it may be his least succesfull one but I personally think it is actually a great movie. It is such a shame that it took him 12 years to finally make another movie and it is even worse that nothing more will come out from this genius. I remember, when it came out, there was a huge buzz about it and I had the honor, the privilege, the honor to behold this masterpiece in the theater. As usual, you had the incredible Kubrick direction, completely flawless with obsessive attention to the details. On the other hand, you had this fascinating story which almost works like a captivating Hollywood thriller. I say "almost" because at the end, there was no big chase, rooftop final battle or big twist "He is the one! He did it !". There was actually no real answer and I think many people were really frustrated by that because at the end of a movie, everything is supposed to be solved (at least, that's what the average viewer expects). To conclude, I think it was just brilliant and it is definitely worth a look, especially if you are interested in Kubrick's movies.

A dream behind a mask of mystery.

Posted : 5 years, 7 months ago on 26 September 2008 11:53

''No dream is ever just a dream.''

A New York City doctor, who is married to an art curator, pushes himself on a harrowing and dangerous night-long odyssey of sexual and moral discovery after his wife admits that she once almost cheated on him.

Tom Cruise: Dr. William 'Bill' Harford

Stanley Kubrick's last film results in an explosion of surprises. On one hand it is drenched with sex and revelations, ending up being even slower than any of his previous works. Yet on the other hand it captures imagination, secrets and forbidden relationships.

Kubrick has always given us the weird and visionary standards with his film making efforts. With Eyes Wide Shut it is a very human, very colourful study delving into the primal urges of sexual desire.
There is beautiful imagery, haunting penetrating music, and wonderful shots with clever cinematography.

The film unleashes a varied onslaught via frequent trips to the land of surrealism and mystery yet elevates itself with some unusual scenes.
The masked party seems to me to be the main point of interest in Eyes Wide Shut where Kubrick uses mystery suspense and a feel of foreboding in the proceedings yet it's feeling seems to fade once said scene is over. We see Cruise spiral into torment and sometimes madness as he tries to unravel the mysteries and puzzles.

Scenarios presented involve unfaithfulness, desire and an obsession with lust and sex. Nicole Kidman plays the troubled wife quite well with jealousy and emotion seeping from her character; She is subject to dreams and dark secrets of her own.

It is safe to say the film provokes more tantalizing questions than answers, yet we the audience, true to Kubrick, fill in the blanks with our own conclusions and imagination.
Granted Kubrick gets across his lustful, if what perverted disposition, which shows a mind of unrivaled proportions but it's the execution of Eyes Wide Shut that makes it appealing and one for countless debates.

When I reached the end conclusion I was bemused at the confusion and even more puzzled by an ending that is simple yet with dialogue that shows a marriage and sexual tension between two people.
Eyes Wide Shut was very clever and thrilling yet may leave behind anyone whom is unadjusted to Kubrick's psychedelic, trippy style.

Kubrick's last montage equals a piece which is his most human and perhaps in many ways his most psychological, his most disturbing, and his most artistic. The film is a 9 year marriage with seeds of doubts being planted, a masked party that turns into a warped orgy, one man's journey across the city to discover a moral and sexual answer to appease his mind and emotions.
Eyes Wide Shut is deviant, perverted and puzzling yet it is also a fascinating into the mind set of Stanley Kubrick in his final days. What a strange mind and portrait we end up with. Certainly one to be watched a few times and even then, you will pick up something different every time.

''I have seen one or two things in my life but never, never anything like this.''