Confusing but amazing!

Posted : 3 months ago on 28 May 2014 08:43

'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' is confusing but amazing! The plot is actually quite complicated but is very well told and interesting! Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet make a great screen duo, the script is amazing and there's some great direction from Michel Gondry!

Posted : 7 months, 3 weeks ago on 3 January 2014 08:23

a crazy movie about the crazy mind. a highly emotional movie that is an outstanding concept, erasing memories. Jim Carry in this movie is at his peak and doesn't disappoint, Kate Winslet plays his ex girlfriend whom he tries to erase from his memory through a "procedure".
This film is highly emotional and highly thoughtful one of my favorites. A must watch

9/10

Posted : 1 year, 1 month ago on 17 July 2013 05:04

Eternal Sunshine is one of those films I have trouble writing about, not only because I want everyone to experience it for themselves but because I worry that I'd only get lost in my platitudes. So perfect is every element -- the editing, the direction, the off-the-wall yet piercing script, the acting -- and so expertly and originally are they arranged that it stands on its own island. It boasts career-best performances from Carrey and Winslet, and at the very least all the other actors put in excellent work. Kaufman's script might lack the ambition of his later opus Synecdoche, New York and the wit of Adaptation, but he injects such a knowing sadness and hope into the film that he finally proves true the saying so many dismiss as pithy: 'twas better to have loved and lost than never loved at all.

Clever, Or Just Messed-up?

Posted : 1 year, 11 months ago on 10 September 2012 12:55

"In the Olympic Peninsula of northwest Washington State, a small town named Forks exists under a near-constant cover of clouds."

Oh no, wait-- that's the other one; we would never like that. What would we like instead?

"Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage."

Oh, good.

Or, maybe.... not so good.

Yeah, this is a little creepy.

But I guess that it's all okay, since Scifi has successfully created a girlfriend story that's so disturbing, that it's not even close to being comedy instead of drama.

Good job, Scifi, way to show the world, man.

"The bouquets of brilliant anemones undulated ceaselessly in the invisible current, twisted shells scurried about the edges, obscuring the crabs within them, starfish stuck motionless to the rocks and each other, while one small black eel with white racing stripes wove through the bright green weeds, waiting for the sea to return."

Wow, what a bunch of perverts, right.

But at least we freed outselves.

We're independent, man.

Legally speaking, no one can stop us from damaging our brains.... in our minds.

....

Yes, my friends, I have great power.

Because I have brain control.

I have brain control, and I know everything.

And I release you.

(6/10)

Posted : 2 years, 1 month ago on 2 July 2012 07:55

Recently watched this movie about a month ago. Its a very good movie about lonliness...being single...and being shy and afraid. Watch it!

A rare cinematic treat....

Posted : 2 years, 2 months ago on 14 June 2012 03:23

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd."
- Alexander Pope

Joel and Clementine, once a happy couple, break-up. Joel can't take Clementine out of his head so he decides to patch up. He then learns an unbelievable truth that she had a clinic named Lacuna "erase" all of her memories related to Joel. Joel too out of anger decides to take on the procedure of erasing Clementine-memories from his head.

Okay, I know what some may think. This is totally weird, right? But with Michel Gondry and Charlie Kaufman, the screenwriters, weird stories always become entertaining that has undeniably smart elements. Eternal Sunshine remains their best work to date. It's an unforgettable psychological journey in a person's brain, his dreams, his desires captured with such contrast and vivid beauty that you will be left asking for more. At first, we feel quite envious of the technology that literally removes "pain" from our minds. The direction and screenplay capture this magnificently by taking us in Joel's head and actually showing us in their way how it happens. But soon this desire dies out with a deep emotion of dissatisfaction. Because Joel watches these memories fade away, he gets a second chance to relive them. He then understands that memories, however painful, are vital. I really wanted this erasing thing to exist in real life at first but then the film's extremely strong presentation made me change my mind. This impressive part makes the whole non-linear experience unexpected, thought-provoking and excites us to a higher level of curiosity.

Once Eternal Sunshine grips us through it's smart allegory, it keeps getting better and better. What I loved most was the unexpected conclusion that forces us to wonder about the fate of the characters. What I loved more is that the film also never forgets the supporting cast, especially the "erasers" who work at Lacuna. During the erasing scene, which is the highlight of the entire film, the film kind of switches back and forth from Joel's memories to the real world. They show us the interaction of the Lacuna gang (Elijah Wood, Kirstin Dunst, Mark Ruffalo, Tom Wilkinson). As we surge through Joel's emotions, theirs too is not overlooked. The screenplay smartly shows us how we human beings feel emotions, how we look at the person who's memory we are erasing and the person who's having it erased. In Short, Eternal Sunshine has a weird but differently smart screenplay that works which also won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay in 2005. The Direction has a wonderful "flow" in it. The Cinematography has a beautiful colorful saturation and the score, wow, it just syncs with the flow. The film has impressive visual effects too that adds to the stunning imagery of Joel's memories.

Now, the acting. First of all, I have never seen Jim Carrey act a serious character before. Joel is boring, dull, seeks solitude. I still wonder how he did that. This proves that Jim Carrey is more of a versatile actor rather than a comedian. Kate Winslet portrays the energetic, over-talkative Clementine, a complete opposite of Joel. She was nominated for the Oscar for this role and it's quite worth it. The most difficult part is bringing two completely opposites together to love each other which is pulled off perfectly by the two artists. Then comes the Lacuna gang. Wow, another surprise here. Their acting was realistic, if simply put.

In conclusion, Eternal Sunshine is a spotless masterpiece. It's that piece of cinema that tries to approach film-making from a whole new perspective and the result is memorable. The film convinced me of the moral fact that even if you put someone out of your memory, you can't put them out of your heart. Be sure to check out Gondry's Being John Malkovich, another weird but thought-provoking film.

Visit my facebook page: www.facebook.com/filmsthemostbeautifulart

Posted : 2 years, 3 months ago on 4 May 2012 06:23

Great movie but at some points your mind gets lost with whatever is going on, you just need to think but not to much.. then you will really undertand the beauty of this film

Posted : 2 years, 8 months ago on 24 December 2011 08:15

A weired kind of love story but a touching one. The movie may not have touched the heart of masses but is a mind boggling, dramatic masterpiece.

A tale of two love birds have a chemistry for each other. Although they got erased their memories of one another but they fall again for one another.

Joel (Carrey) is stunned to discover that his girlfriend Clementine (Winslet) is no more intrested in him. Out of desperation, he contacts the memory eraser to scratch every tiny bit of his past time with Clementine. The inventor of the process, Dr. Howard Mierzwiak (Wilkinson), started removing Joel memory as requested, but as Joel's memories progressively disappear, he begins to rediscover his love for Clementine.

A good movie to watch.

Posted : 2 years, 8 months ago on 21 December 2011 11:48

Jim Carrey goes low-key in this inspired and dreamlike film. Broken and pained by a lost relationship, he chooses to erase Clementine (Winslet) from his memories without thinking of the consequences. A great, wildly inventive screenplay by Kaufman and ethereal visuals by Gondry put this film on just about every favorite list I see, and mine is no exception. Watching Joel and Clementine dissolve each other into nothing and seeing them struggle to reconnect is simply heart-wrenching and, despite everything, hopeful. Because as they get closer and closer to oblivion, they realize how much they truly cherish the memories they shared. The love that was so strong before reveals how fragile it is under the pressure of pettiness and bickering, but it remains eternal.

Posted : 3 years ago on 16 August 2011 09:00

A fascinating meditation on love and memory. The portrayal of the inside of the mind is like nothing you've ever seen. Gripping and heart-warming.

« Prev12 3 Next »