Everything fans have wanted from a Deadpool film

Posted : 1 year ago on 6 June 2016 09:02

"I know right? You're probably thinking, "Whose balls did I have to fondle to get my very own movie"? I can't tell you his name, but it rhymes with "Polverine.""

Cult Marvel antihero Wade Wilson/Deadpool has never been properly represented on film, with his first big-screen appearance in 2009's indefensible X-Men Origins: Wolverine failing to do justice to the legendary Merc with a Mouth by turning him into a goofy, throwaway science project. Seven years on, and that wrong has finally been righted with 2016's Deadpool, which gives actor Ryan Reynolds another opportunity to play the character as he was meant to be played in the first place. Written by Deadpool fans Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (Zombieland), this long-gestating X-Men spinoff stays true to its comic book heritage, resulting in an action-comedy soaked in ultraviolence, pop culture references and wisecracks. And even though it's essentially a goofy parody, the story is told with enough sincerity and gravity to allow for it to be appreciated as more than just a surface-level ride. Deadpool might in fact be the greatest romantic comedy of all time, because it is romantic, and it's certainly hilarious.

A rebellious, ex-special ops mercenary, Wade Wilson (Reynolds) earns a living by doing unsavoury jobs, reporting to confidant bartender Weasel (T.J. Miller) who oversees the racket. Wilson finds love in a hooker named Vanessa (Morena Baccarin), but their relationship is suddenly threatened by a late-stage cancer diagnosis. With no feasible treatment options, Wilson reluctantly leaves Vanessa and agrees to be a guinea pig for a shadowy underground organisation promising a cure for his cancer. Butting heads with scientists Ajax (Ed Skrein) - known more affectionately as Francis - and Angel Dust (Gina Carano), Wilson undergoes a series of sadistic experiments which unlock his mutant superpowers of regeneration, but leave him horrendously disfigured. Wilson manages to escape, but cannot find the confidence to go back to Vanessa, instead choosing to hunt down Francis in the hope of getting his former good looks restored. And of course, Wilson wants revenge, donning a red suit and rechristening himself as Deadpool as he kills his way up the criminal ladder. Meanwhile, X-Men members Colossus (Stefan Kapicic) and Negasonic Teenage Warhead (Brianna Hildebrand) pursue Deadpool, hoping to convince the vigilante crime-fighter to join their team.

Even though he's a cult favourite with a devoted fanbase, the character of Deadpool does work best in small doses. After all, Deadpool may be witty, funny and sarcastic, but there is always the risk of the shtick getting old. To counter this, the gonzo scenes involving Deadpool in action are intercut with the origin story, tracing Wilson as he undergoes his transformation. It also provides a refreshing change from the usual origin story format, with the fun action scenes breaking up the more sombre narrative beats. In the comics, Deadpool has always been about undercutting the seriousness of being a superhero by emphasising his vehemently antiheroic nature, on top of allowing him to break the fourth wall, and these qualities are carried over to this adaptation. The opening of Deadpool is pure perfection, starting off with a title sequence that embodies the movie's spirit, billing the director as "An Overpaid Tool" and Reynolds as "God's Perfect Idiot." It's not long before Deadpool delivers an uproarious monologue directly to the audience, while the subsequent displays of ultraviolence further underscore that this is not just another generic PG-13 offering.

Due to its restricted rating, Deadpool was not blessed with a blank cheque from Fox, who were wary of producing the movie in the first place, unsure of its box office potential (how ironic, looking back). First-time director Tim Miller (a long-time video game and CGI veteran) had a meagre $58 million to work with, with the budget necessitating rewrites to cut costs as much as possible. As a result, Deadpool is not a truly epic deconstruction of the superhero genre, but it does work exceptionally well on its own merits, finding Miller and co. making the most of their limited resources. The set-pieces are lively and fierce, peppered with suitable moments of humour to ensure the mayhem is pitched at the right tone. And despite the excessive violence, the production does exhibit a certain degree of restraint - Miller never tries to shock beyond what is actually necessary, and the chaos never feels uncomfortable or mean-spirited. It really is a testament to the filmmakers, who also manage to find moments of genuine emotion to bolster the movie above the level of empty calories. In fact, there is sensitivity here to complement all the bloodletting, and the love story really hits its mark rather than coming off as a perfunctory distraction.

Big explosive climaxes have become the order of the day in superhero movies, which can harm otherwise taut movies by feeling incredibly forced. Deadpool eventually culminates with such a climax, but Miller never lets the picture out of his control, maintaining the humour and furious pacing. Furthermore, the stakes are more personal than usual: the world is not in danger here, as Wilson is simply out to save his girl. It's a nice twist on the ordinary, and it makes for a more involving climactic showdown. Deadpool is not perfect, of course - digital effects are spotty, with bits and pieces that look too artificial, which is probably a reflection on the budget. Added to this, a couple of additional sequences featuring the titular anti-hero being his usual self might have been beneficial. Still, these are minor nit-picks.

Reynolds might have struck out with a lifeless performance in 2011's Green Lantern, but he was simply born to play the role of Deadpool. The actor is firmly in his element here, given the freedom to deliver uproarious wisecracks, one-liners and self-referential jokes (one particular punchline about the limitations of the budget is gold). Just as Robert Downey Jr. owns the role of Tony Stark, it's legitimately hard to imagine any other actor nailing the role of Deadpool as perfectly as Reynolds, who even takes a dig at his own acting ability at one point. But more than just a comedic firecracker, Reynolds is also a solid anchor, ably carrying out leading man duties with confidence. He's well-matched with Baccarin, who stands above the usual standard for generic love interests.

Although the story's X-Men connection does seem contrived, putting Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead in the movie turns out to be a masterstroke. Colossus spends his time trying to convince Deadpool to give up his violent ways and become a more conventional superhero, and his resistance does indeed mirror the stance of the movie itself. Meanwhile, Negasonic is a jaded character who "gets" Deadpool but doesn't find him very appealing. It's doubtful that anybody expected this movie to take the piss out of its own comedy routine, making Negasonic's attitude all the more refreshing. Performances are strong, too; T.J. Miller deserves a special mention, as his interactions with Reynolds are a constant source of amusement. Skrein is a perfectly serviceable bad guy, and Karan Soni is appealing as a gracious Indian cab driver.

It's not revelatory and it doesn't quite reach greatness, but Deadpool is the right movie at the right time, an astute side project in the X-Men universe which only aspires to provide easy-going entertainment with its adult rating and mischievous, devil-may-care audacity. With its crude sense of humour, enjoyable action scenes and shrewd deconstruction of the superhero genre, it's a shot to the arm that was absolutely necessary in today's cinematic climate. It's just about everything that fans could have wanted from a Deadpool movie. And be sure to hang around until the end of the credits.

8.3/10

A very good movie

Posted : 1 year, 3 months ago on 5 March 2016 11:40

After years being involved in some massive flops (especially 'R.I.P.D.' and 'Green Lantern' which also happened to be some comic-books adaptations), Ryan Reynolds has finally managed to get a box-office hit. This movie was quite a labor of love for him as he had been trying to get it made for more than 5 years. Anyway, it was definitely worth the wait, that's for sure. Indeed, in this age, when we are getting closer and closer towards a major super-hero overdose, this movie was actually what this genre needed. Indeed, basically the makers rejected both the dark and gloominess delivered by DC and the brainless popcorn entertainment produced by Marvel and they went for something really different delivering one of the most messed-up and entertaining super-hero features out there. Sure, there was indeed an origin story, also a rather generic romance and even some pretty badass action scenes, but, at the end of the day, they hardly cared about the plot, neither was I, and instead, they focused on the hilarious jokes and oneliners delivered by the Merc with a Mouth which was a great move. To conclude, it is a rather unique feature, I really loved it and it is definitely worth a look, especially if you are bored by all these generic super-hero features out there.

FOX Finally Does Deadpool Right

Posted : 1 year, 3 months ago on 4 March 2016 10:55

I have been waiting for a good Deadpool movie for a long time. Ryan Reynolds has been fighting for a good Deadpool movie before the character was really even that popular. I was not the biggest fan of Mr. Reynolds before Deadpool but I do have give him credit. The man earns my respect for working his hardest to get a great Deadpool movie out there. He took the absolutely horrendous portrayal of the character in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, just to get the chance to portray the character. Honestly, the man’s portrayal of Wade Wilson (before he became Barakapool) was the best part of that atrocious film. Deadpool is my third favorite superhero character, right behind Batman and Spider-Man. So I was eagerly anticipating the idea of a Deadpool movie but I also had strong doubts that it would get made. But sometimes, dreams do come true because this Deadpool movie is everything I wanted to see in a Deadpool movie.

Vulgar, bloody, hilarious, meta, and elements pulled straight from Deadpool's comic history. This feels like a true Deadpool comic brought to life on the big screen. The music is pretty awesome as well. This film is full of classic songs that either feel appropriate to the respective scene or hilariously inappropriate for sake of comedy. Special mention goes to “Angel of the Morning”, a ballad that helps make one of the most memorable opening sequences I’ve ever seen. Honestly, there are those special actors that can capable of embodying a beloved comic character and make it their own. Christopher Reeves is Superman. Robert Downey Jr. is Iron Man. Ryan Reynolds is Deadpool. But that is not to say the other supporting characters aren’t just as memorable. Quite the contrary, their performances are just as interesting and memorable as the Merc with the Mouth’s, certainly not an easy task. Both T.J. Miller and Leslie Uggams successfully capture the hilarious personalities of Deadpool’s obscure allies, Weasel and Blind Al respectively. Ed Skrein plays a memorable villain in Ajax who, rather than being overtly complex or ambiguous, is just an douche. Super strong and really smart but still an incredible douche who you just want to see get his ass kicked. Gina Carano does a good job playing Ajax’s trusty brutish henchwoman, Angel Dust. Plus the two X-Men (and only truly heroic characters in the film) they managed to get into this picture, Colossus (played by a CGI character) and Negasonic Teenage Warhead (who has the greatest superhero codename ever), feel well-incorporated along with providing both hilarious and awesome moments.

But while these characters are fun to watch, the chemistry between Ryan Reynolds and Morena Baccarin, who plays Deadpool’s love interest in the film, makes up most of the truly emotional moments of this film. While the film is filled to the brim with irreverent humor, it is their relationship, honestly some of the best romance I’ve seen in a superhero movie, that really adds weight to what could have been an immensely immature experience. It still full of immature moments but it luckily doesn’t distract from the drama of the characters. Honestly, I'm glad this movie was R-rated because the character and the story feels most appropriate for mature audiences only. A PG-13 Deadpool movie would have neutered the appeal of this beloved fourth-wall breaking psychopath.

Overall, I am just glad this movie got made to begin with. I appreciate that the movie managed to get the character right while also feeling like a complete movie rather than a funny distraction. Plus, the immense success of this film is a good omen to corporate executives, showing what happens when you take risks and stay faithful to a character’s roots. I hope that this film’s success brings out more mature superhero content that can risks while also being a whole lot of fun.

Posted : 1 year, 3 months ago on 27 February 2016 12:00

Hommage and spoof too clichés since the title sequence with the casitng of 'comic relief', 'moody teenager' ando so on. The vengeance motif is never loosen.

The Only Marvel Film That Didn't Bore Me

Posted : 1 year, 3 months ago on 23 February 2016 10:36

It seems there truly is a first time for everything. It's borderline painful for me to admit this, but I enjoyed a Marvel movie. I wouldn't have gone to see Deadpool on my own, but I was hanging with a friend for the weekend and he insisted on buying me a ticket. What happened next was extraordinary: I went an hour and a half without looking at my watch or wondering what was piling up in my inbox.

Perhaps that was part of the movie's success: that it didn't push the 2 hour mark and that it wasn't straining, like some perpetually frustrated fanboy, to announce the credibility of comic book story lines to the world. "COMIC BOOKS ARE COOL NOW TOO! SEE?!? THEY'RE MAKING MOVIES WITH BUDGETS OF HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS WHICH MAKES THEM OFFICIALLY ACCEPTED IN THE CULTURAL ZEITGEIST!" No, rather Deadpool was made for less than 60 million, the script was clever and tight, and it focused on one of the strengths of the comic book format: their absurdity and over-the-top nature.

Ultimately, it's another revenge story, but you can get away with following one of the tried and true plot templates as long as you put an original spin on it. Deadpool does this in spades with its buckets of irreverence, a few moments of sincerity to provide contrast, comedy that actually hits and some well filmed action. Also, by shedding the PG-13 shackles, Deadpool remained true to its roots and is another recent example of how film making for adults can still be commercially successful in the 21st century.

My biggest gripe with the movie is its "look", especially the background shots whenever you're outside. Like most modern Hollywood blockbusters the environments have this weird, washed-out gray coloring to them that's about as far from authentic as one can possibly get. That's no doubt a cost cutting measure, relying on CG to fill in for well designed sets and difficult outdoor shots, but the ugliness and laziness of these cheap backgrounds is pervasive in the frame, spoiling what could otherwise be a spectacular looking picture.

It's not an amazing film, but I liked Deadpool. It was well paced, skillfully written, it made me laugh and by being the antithesis of the last 15 years of lackluster super hero movies, it became the first good comic based film since Sin City.

Posted : 1 year, 4 months ago on 21 February 2016 06:57

MARVELOUS MARVEL COMIC BOOK MOVIE

I started this year's movie theatre on blasting with Marvel's first R-rated comic book film Deadpool and it was all the way enjoyable experience and also great example how to make comic movie for adults. And even low amount of budget, which was pretty small for superhero movie. Lousy 70 million dollars, which is surely huge amount of cash for us normal workers, but low for Hollywood's film industry's standards. But even that kind of money can make a great action flick.
Acting was good. It can see how Ryan Reynolds enjoyed to play Deadpool and he taked everything off from it when he was on screen.
Humor was funny, adultlike and rancid.
Action bloody, violent and intense. There was few funny looking CGI effects which caught my eye, but nothing serious. I also liked how the Deadpool broke the fourth wall by talking to audience, about production of the movie and other movies characters/celebrities.
Score was awesome, made by Junkie Xl as Tom Holkenborg. Check that out when you can. Preferably right now, because hes a great composer for action movies. Songs were also listenable.
Deadpool took it's top place on my Best Marvel Movies list. Right there next to Guardians Of The Galaxy (2014), which was slightly better than Deadpool.

SHARED WITH FRIENDS!
Users: hsallinen & Cuomi

Posted : 1 year, 4 months ago on 14 February 2016 07:40

Mind you this review may have language considering

For all those parents wanting this to be PG-13 for the young fans...this movie wouldn't have been Deadpool if it was like that. The bloody carnage, the fowl language, and the sexuality of it all is how it should be. Deadpool isn't a good guy, but he does take out villains. Anyways that's besides the point. This movie is absolutely fucking amazing. I felt like I was really watching who I wanted the previous incarnation to be. There are so many great moments of fourth wall breaking as well as references to actors, characters, mistakes, movies, decades, pretty much a lot I wasn't expecting. The fight scenes were insane and fun just like they should be. Expect a lot more gore than you usually see in these types of films. Negasonic Teenage Warhead was great here. I actually saw a girl come out of the theater looking like her almost completely. I actually appreciated this Colossus more than the X-Men movies version. Who wouldn't fall in love with Morena Baccarin good lord!? Ajax and Angel Dust were some amazing villains. Then again I love pretty much anything Gina Carano does. Make sure to stay after the credits! If you are a fan of 80s comedies be prepared to laugh your ass off in this scene! This is the first feature film directed by Tim Miller and I have to say it most likely won't be his last. Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick wrote Zombieland so that explains why it's so funny. I would like to thank Ryan Reynolds and others who decided to make Deadpool correctly and succeeding in it. If you're of age I suggest you see this. If not then well I guess you're shit out of luck. The review is over now go watch the fucking movie already!