A great tribute

Posted : 2 years ago on 26 August 2012 11:42

I saw the film first, then I got the Audiobook read, quite intensely, by Jodie Foster. The film is a little more compact and accessible since Ellie travels alone and the story focuses more on her strong independence and her relationship with Palmer. I'm a believer in the science but I don't discount what I cannot see out of hand (a universe without a purpose would be a singularly unromantic place to be) and Palmer has some great lines and points to make.

Carl didn't live to see the release of his film but it's a great tribute to an important populariser of science and an inquiring man.

And you're wrong Ellie; they did send a poet, fluent in the language of science yet still with romance in her soul. It was you.

Contact review

Posted : 2 years, 3 months ago on 13 May 2012 03:23

hmm, in this movie, the talking is so much than doing things. But ya this plot requires it.
The other world jodie went is so awesome and beautiful...

Jodie's acting is so good and i love her determination to reach her goal..!

Inspiration for a kid

Posted : 5 years, 4 months ago on 23 April 2009 11:02

This review is pure sentimentalism, so if you're not into that, skip it.

I watched this movie as a kid, around 10 years old, and I got instantly sucked into t he world of stars, planets and space - and exploring it. I was already a dinosaur geek (thanks to Jurassic Park), and this was a somewhat natural next step. The following years as I grew into a teenager this film carried with me, inspired me to loo for knowledge, study maths (which in I always sucked, by the way) and be generally interested in science. I love this movie, because it gave me a huge push towards the way I am now - still fascinated by science and nature, outer space and stars, and learning for more.

Close Encounters

Posted : 5 years, 4 months ago on 17 April 2009 12:05

What Close Encounters Of The 3rd. Kind did back in the 70's, this film takes to the next evolutionary step, in terms of the actual physics & concepts of an actual meeting 'tween us mere mortals & any life-forms.
For my money, Contact contains some of the best discussions of religion & atheism in any film ever made. It's depictions of the manner that things like general fear & politics can get in the way of a true quest for knowledge is both basely intelligent & comprehendibly poignant. This film's plot does a great job treading on the subject of how our society is constantly struggling between the comfort of what we already know & the confrontational truths about our species that can be revealed as result of the discovery of what is new, especially if seen thru the "eyes" of a life-form that's a lot smarter than us.

One of the all-time best book translations

Posted : 6 years, 1 month ago on 10 July 2008 04:28

I love this movie for so many reasons. But most of all, for even being made at all.

I read this book about five or so years before it was made into a film, and I remember the murmurings about a movie shortly after I finished the book. As soon as I saw that Jody Foster was attached, I prayed she would stay with it. Because she is one of those that (at least until lately) when I see their names attached, I know it will be a good movie.

She and Zemekis didn't disappoint. From the first previews, I knew they had it right. By using the signal in the previews for the movie, they set the perfect tone for the movie. Brilliant advertising campain with that ad, for a brilliant movie based on a brilliant book.

What they got right so far outweighs what they got wrong that I can't help but love this film. Yes, they had to cut things out. Any book over 100 pages ends up having to cut bits out, and the medium is so different that you need different emphasis in some spots to make the story go forward. But they kept the heart of the story, and they made it a truly enjoyable experience.

I think Carl would have loved it.