JCVD review

Posted : 2 years, 6 months ago on 14 September 2014 08:25

"It's hard for me to judge people and it's hard for them... not to judge me. Easier to blame me. Yeah, something like that."

It's been a while since the last time i watched this so i decided to give it another go today. It still holds up perfectly for me. Jean-Claude Van Damme has always been a childhood hero of mine, but i never in a million years thought he was a good actor. Sure, he could show more emotion than Seagal and was a lot more subtle than Arnold, but i would still not call him a good actor. This movie however changed that forever. He went from The Muscles from Brussels to an award worthy actor over the course of 100 minuets. I still believe one of the biggest Oscar snubs from the last few years was not nominating Jean-Claude Van Damme for best actor. Who would have thought they would ever hear a sentence like that in their life?

There is especially one scene in the movie that most people know of and have seen even if they have not seen the entire movie and that is the monologue he has close to the end of it. A lot of people would not consider that acting since he's pretty much just talking about his own life, but i still think that scene took some serious guts. It's probably the toughest scene this action hero has done in his entire career. You would never see Arnold or Seagal break down in front of a camera like that. Stallone has done it in the past, but i doubt we will ever see it from him again. When i first saw the movie i had no idea that scene was coming so it really sat with me for a long time afterwards. Before that it was a pretty funny dark comedy, but that one took it to a whole new level. But Van Damme is not the only one that is good in the movie. It also has a pretty great supporting cast.

Zinedine Soualem was very good as the main bank robber, but Karim Belkhadra pretty much stole all of his scenes as the die hard Van Damme fan of the crew. He was both hilarious and tragic at the same time and i must admit, his final scene did bring a tear to my eye. There is really only one thing i don't like about the movie and that is the courtroom scene. It's a very minor nitpic, but as a long time van of Van Damme i can't let this one slide. When his wife's lawyer lists all the ways Van Damme has killed people in his movies, he is not actually listing ways Van Damme has killed people in his movies. That always bothered me. Why couldn't they have just done that? It would have taken maybe 10 minutes of research. Hell, you have the guy right there, just ask him. I'm sure he can remember some of the ways he has killed people. But like i said, that is just a very minor nitpic that does not lessen my enjoyment of the movie very much. I would say that people who are not fans of Van Damme, but just like good movies with great acting can also enjoy this movie very much. It's not filled with inside jokes, but there are a few.

If you have not yet checked this one out, it's definitely one i can highly recommend. I really hope Van Damme will continue to stretch his acting chops. He has done a few more movies where he could do that after this, but none of them were on this level. I want to see more of this from him.

JCVD review

Posted : 2 years, 7 months ago on 1 August 2014 07:30

The muscles from Brussels plays himself in a film that's actually more watchable than laughable... could be a first for the actor.

Van Damme's best movie in years...

Posted : 5 years ago on 17 March 2012 10:06

"I'm just a regular guy. It makes me sick to see people... who don't have what I've got. Knowing that they have qualities, too. Much more than I do! It's not my fault if I was cut out to be a star. I asked for it. I asked for it, really believed in it. When you're 13, you believe in your dream. Well it came true for me. But I still ask myself today what I've done on this Earth. Nothing! I've done nothing!"

JCVD is essentially Being John Malkovich meets Dog Day Afternoon. It's a stylish heist thriller in a meta-filmmaking wrapper as well as a heartfelt, soul-searching drama that asks us to consider Jean-Claude Van Damme as more than just a dumb hunk of muscle. Back in the '80s and '90s, Van Damme was one of the most reliable action heroes out there, but he soon dropped out of the spotlight and ended up in straight-to-video purgatory. After so many horrible Van Damme movies in recent years, JCVD is a breathe of fresh air. This is easily the star's best movie in over a decade, and it doesn't even feature Van Dammage playing a fictional action hero - instead, he plays a thinly fictionalised version of himself, which (ironically) may prove to be the greatest role of his career.

The Jean-Claude Van Damme at the centre of this story is not a popular, rich action star but rather a washed-up, past-his-prime actor unable to land any decent gigs anymore. Pushing 50, he just lost a custody battle with one of his former wives, and his financial situation is terrible. Trying to get his life back together, Van Damme returns to his hometown in Belgium where he's still recognised as an icon. Unfortunately, during a banking errand he walks right into a robbery in progress, and the local authorities mistake Van Damme as the ringleader of the robbers. As the situation intensifies, Van Damme reflects upon his life and ponders his mistakes, and a dichotomy emerges between his on-screen hero persona and who he is in the real world.

JCVD begins with an amazing long take which tracks Van Damme as he does the type of things he got famous for: killing bad guys, recuing people and doing roundhouse kicks. But this opening sequence flaunts the only action contained within JCVD. One may think that the plot sounds like an ideal setup for a typical Van Damme actioner in which he saves the day and becomes the hero, but JCVD is not your typical Van Damme vehicle - it's not even an action movie at all. Instead, writer-director Mabrouk El Mechri has crafted a character study that observes Van Damme dealing with the types of situations he handles in movies all the time. The concept works remarkably well, and not just as a gimmick or a joke. It does work as a comedy too, though - Van Damme is remarkably game here, and it's clear that he has a sense of humour about himself due to the script's self-referential material (we learn that Van Damme loses a movie role to Steven Seagal, who secured the part by agreeing to cut off his ponytail).

More than anything else, Mabrouk El Mechri's movie seeks to humanise the iconic Van Damme. The film acknowledges the man's personal and professional blunders, yet we're reminded that behind the troubled movie star is a multifaceted human who makes mistakes, just like all of us. As the hostage storyline plays out, flashbacks illuminate recent events in Van Damme's life that paint an affecting portrait of the nature of fame. Reinforcing these themes and messages is a single shot towards the climax that observes Van Damme delivering a stunning direct-to-camera soliloquy in which he bares his soul and laments his shortcomings. While talking, he's lifted above the movie's set until there are studio lights behind him, boldly breaking the fourth wall and tearing down all protective facades to reinforce that Van Damme's words are honest and frank rather than part of a fictional universe. Instead of highlighting how delusional Van Damme has been, JCVD asks us to sympathise with this broken man and root for him to get his life back in order.

Along with the other B-movie action stars like Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal, Jean-Claude Van Damme's acting has always been ridiculed as laughable and wooden. He has starred in countless movies, but the man has never shown any actual acting talent; instead, he's the same one-note hero all the time. In JCVD, on the other hand, Van Damme's performance is a revelation. Clearly more comfortable speaking in his native tongue, he's believable, sympathetic and surprisingly charismatic here, doing far more than just playing a surface-level version of himself. Who would've thought that the Mussels from Brussels' best acting performance would be as himself?

On top of everything, JCVD is a stylish-looking movie - El Mechri and cinematographer Pierre-Yves Bastard (his real name, I swear!) are gifted visual stylists, and they gave the film a distinctive look of bleached-out colours. The flick's only real problem is that the story starts to run out of steam by the second half, and a few scenes set inside the post office grow a tad tedious. This aside, JCVD is an excellent movie, and it should be seen if for no other reason than it contains Jean-Claude Van Damme's most nuanced and powerful performance to date.

8.2/10

A good movie

Posted : 5 years, 2 months ago on 11 January 2012 09:11

After making for at least a decade worthless straight-to-dvd action flicks, Jean-Claude Van Damme finally decided to do something drastically different, a satire about himself and it really worked. Basically, it is a remake of 'Dog day afternoon' taking place in Belgium and starring Jean-Claude Van Damme. The whole thing could have been a misfire if he took himself too seriously but he didn't, even if he remained maybe a little too calm during the proceedings. The main issue, in my opinion, is that the concept was good but after 5 minutes, they didn't really know how to further develop this. Still, it really gets hilarious sometimes and Van Damme provided a pretty good performance (there is even a six minutes monolog which honestly quite blew me away). When I was a kid, I was a huge fan of JCVD and it was quite awesome to finally seen him in a decent movie after all those years of crap. To conclude, even though it is nothing mindblowing, it is a well made and entertaining satire and it is definitely worth a look, especially if you want to see something different with monsieur Van Damme.

Bad light; tries do be funny

Posted : 7 years, 2 months ago on 6 January 2010 12:13

Although someone can tell me that the saturated lights on this movie were intended to show how Jean Claude always had lived under the media lights, it really damaged the whole movie... it's very difficult to watch with such saturated lights.

I could say the movie is regular, but it could be a lot better.