An average movie

Posted : 10 months, 1 week ago on 14 February 2014 09:52

Except for ‘When Harry Met Sally…’ which must be the best romantic-comedy ever conceived, I never really understood the fuss about Billy Crystal. I mean, I have nothing against the guy but except for presenting the Oscars more than anynone else, what has he actually accomplished in the last 2 decades? Anyway, since this movie was one of his more popular features, I thought I should give it a try. Well, it was not bad and rather entertaining but not much more than that,I’m afraid. Basically, it is one of those comedies with a fish-out-of-water situation and even though the characters were funny enough, it followed too much the formula and therefore it was terribly predictable. The other flabbergasting aspect about this flick is also the fact that Jack Palance won an Oscar for his performance. Right there, you have the perfect example about how the Academy awards can be ridiculous. I mean, Jack Palance was not bad at all, he was indeed quite fun but was his performance really oscar worthy? Hell no… At least, he gave one of the most memorable acceptance speeches at the Oscar ceremony. To conclude, even though it is nothing really amazing, it remains a decent comedy and it is worth a look, especially if you like the genre.

City Slickers

Posted : 8 years, 1 month ago on 11 November 2006 01:30

In memory of Jack Palance, his more recent recognizeable role of Curly in the western comedy City Slickers made the movie that somehow inspired a sequel. The humor of Billy Crystal and friends was a bit stale and even the heroic ending wasn't enough for me.