A good movie

Posted : 5 years, 2 months ago on 15 February 2013 12:02

Since I have always been fan of Jim Jarmusch's work and since this movie got some pretty good reviews, I was really eager to check this flick. Basically, it follows the new trend of dry indie comedies starring Bill Murray which became really popular with 'Lost in translation'. As a matter of fact, this trend started even before, at the end of the 90's, when Murray started to work with Wes Anderson. Anyway, even though I eventually enjoyed this movie, honestly, I thought it was still nothing really mind-blowing and I was rather disappointed. The point is that Bill Murray, in those movies, is fine and indeed pretty good but, seriously, it is never really amazing and certainly not hilarious whatsoever. At the end of the day, I'd rather watch 'Groundhog Day' which was the pinnacle of his career if you ask me. Still, Jim Jarmusch is a fine director and he did a pretty good job as usual and there was a fine cast (Bill Murray, Julie Delpy, Jeffrey Wright, Sharon Stone, Frances Conroy, Chloë Sevigny, Jessica Lange, Tilda Swinton). Like I said before, I liked this flick, I liked the laid-back tone and how the main character was basically an a**hole but it just didn't blow me away like I was hoping for. To conclude, even though it is nothing really amazing, it remains a decent flick and it is definitely worth a look, especially if you are interested in Jim Jarmusch's work.

Broken Flowers review

Posted : 7 years, 7 months ago on 12 September 2010 09:05

Eipä elokuva ole lähelläkään herra Jarmuschin kärkipään elokuvia, mutta silti leffana erittäin viihdyttävä. Jäi myös olo, että uudelleen katsominen voisi avata elokuvasta uusia puolia. Murraysta täytyy sanoa, että mies esitti taas sen "saman roolin" kuin aina ennenkin.

Broken Flowers review

Posted : 10 years, 8 months ago on 12 August 2007 09:00

Despite being one of Bill Murray's biggest fans, I have to say I was disappointed with this film. Everybody knows that Murray is a king of subtle humour, but the director takes this way to far for this film. Murray sitting washed up and lonely on his settee is remotely funny the first time you see it, but this film seems to rely on this shot several times, for almost a minute each time. That's just milking it I feel.

I enjoyed his visit to his first wife, it's the typical eccentricism you expect to see in an indie film really, but from then on the awkward silences that plague every visit he makes to women from his past become less and less funny and tolerable. Like Rollo, I would just describe this as lazy film-making.

I think your opinion of Jeffrey Wright may influence your enjoyment of this film. If you don't like him, steer well clear of Broken Flowers.

Stop milking Murray

Posted : 11 years, 2 months ago on 21 February 2007 08:25

Bill Murray is one of those actors who can be funny without even opening his mouth, but directors are really starting to milk this too much. I'd rather not have to endure three minute shots of Murray sitting tight lipped and upright on a sofa every time he dons his indie-head. The transitions here were clumsy and over-long. This is the laziest film-making I've witnessed from Jarmusch. The plot didn't take me anywhere worth journeying to and left me with more questions than I had going in. BrokeN Flowers only saving grace is the ever impressive Jeffrey Wright. No second watch for me.

Broken Translation

Posted : 11 years, 4 months ago on 22 December 2006 09:52

In the spirit of Lost in Translation, Bill Murray rekindles his role as he searches for the woman that potentially mothered his son. Broken Flowers boasts some subtle humor and engaging mystery as we follow Murray through his past but the ultimate ending left little resolve and more questions than answers.