Benny's Video (1992)

Posted : 3 years, 10 months ago on 27 January 2012 10:22

Second part of Haneke's trilogy on violence in modern society, after "The Seventh Continent" (1989) and immediately prior to "71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance" (1994). "Benny's Video" (1992) is another twist, also devastating in the dissection of the welfare society. For the most unsettling film is Austrian director, serving radical situations, limit, raises questions that are not closed.

After an event of extreme gravity of a criminal act, we see the author, minor, that seems to have any consciousness of their responsibility in it. His father showed the same coolness in the time of the subsequent decision making. Meanwhile, the mother is in a kind of trance state, between nervous laughter and tears, unable to react at all. The solution is not simple but it's not really important. All selfishly trying to keep their personal welfare, no other approaches.

The movie link to "Cache," which seems to close a longer series, through the camera, a symbol of modernity, which scrutinizes all traces of personal privacy and is installed in Western culture, and more specifically, in youth, through the mobile phone. Recordings of gratuitous violence that record today, many young people with them just for fun is a sign that Haneke was not far off track in his social analysis of the other kind of everyday cruelty to come.

A very good movie

Posted : 4 years, 10 months ago on 7 January 2011 02:10

It has been a while since I have seen this flick and I should probably re-watch it at some point. Anyway, even though it didn't completely blow me away like 'Funny Games', I thought the whole thing was still quite impressive. Indeed, it gives such a chilling vision of humanity, seriously, it is just pitch dark and utterly depressing. And yet, even though it was incredibly sad, I thought it was still quite mesmerizing to behold. Basically, I consider this flick as some king of warm-up for 'Funny Games' (the fact that Arno Frisch played basically the same psychotic character reinforced this feeling) but it is quite a warm-up for sure. Indeed, I thought it was such a haunting movie, even though I have seen it a while back, I still keep thinking about it until today and that’s the great thing about the best thrillers by this director. Indeed, even though the US productions in the same genre might be easier to digest, they are also terribly easy to forget and therefore, they don’t really have any impact, With this director, it is a completely different kind of ball game though. To conclude, even though it might not be considered as one of the best movies directed by the great Austrian master, it is actually one of my favorites and it is definitely worth a look, especially if you are interested in Michael Haneke’s work.