A.I. Artificial Intelligence review

Posted : 3 years, 3 months ago on 18 May 2015 04:01

This is a very beautiful film. It blew me away. The film lacks depth, but I enjoyed it with just one viewing.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence review

Posted : 5 years, 11 months ago on 4 September 2012 09:00

If I were to make a book on the greatest movies of Steven Spielberg, then A.I. would fit the pen-ultimate chapter. Why so? Because, to a vast majority, this is the last greatest film he directed, but to me, his second-last greatest with the last being The Terminal. (I may be in the minority here but I really like the film). After that, he directed a string of just OK films. Good, but not great, with one being one of the worst I've seen.

Anyway, A.I. is arguably one of the greatest heartbreaking films ever made and is a modern classic in the sci-fi genre. The story folds in a nice manner, with a good introduction and a heartbreaking ending, that will stay with you for a long time. The characters were very Spielberg-esque while the movie itself was very Kubrick-esque. No wonders and surprises there. However, I do have certain qualms: The humans and the Mecha's were portrayed in a very cliche and dog-tired manner. There was nothing unique, special or new in them. There was little or no understanding to the human characters and were mostly one-sided while the Mecha's, well, most were just "been there, done that". So, story-wise, the film was very strong but could've done better on the characters, giving them a much deeper depth. While the human world was shown in a restricted manner, the Mecha world was shown in a satisfactory style. Not wildly impressive, just satisfactory.

Despite the fact that the film runs on a decent, accepted speed, it actually comes to its true pace when David wakes up 2000 years into the future. Those 20-or-so minutes felt like they belonged to A.I. and it was a delight to watch!

Now, in the performances, I will point out 3. What ever happened to Haley-Joel Osment? He was billed as one of the best child-star, particularly due to his success on 6th Sense but I hardly hear about him now. I mean, he just vanished. Anyway, before he did, his performance as David truly won me over. You want real proof? Watch the scene in the forest with his mother. I've never seen such an emotion-filled performance by a child-actor. I guess I have to update my greatest criers in Hollywood list. A must-watch performance and it's bound to leave you impressed. Then we have Frances O' Connor as Monica, David's adoptive mother. Prior this film, I'd never heard or seen of her so it was a good surprise. I was impressed by her performance, too and she sure looks like a good candidate to my above mentioned list. Granted, she starts off slowly, kinda clunky, but quickly balances and stabilizes herself. A good performance to the very end. Then we have Jude Law as Gigolo Joe, a Mecha David befriends. Law is a fine actor and one look at his performance in this film, and Sky Captain, makes me think that he could've been times better should he had been in the 30's silent era of movies. Just like O' Connor, he starts off clunky, and goofish, but takes control of his character and stands on his feet. It was a good move on Spielberg's part to cast Law as Gigolo Joe. I can't think of any other better actor to portray him. Apart from the three mentioned, all the others were either fine, or plain decent, nothing too extraordinary. So, there you go!

In conclusion, despite the quite-cliched characters and stereotypical scenes, A.I. is a truly magnificent film that is supposed to be treasured for a long time. @Mr. Spielberg: How about another film like this?

9.5/10

An interesting movie

Posted : 7 years, 6 months ago on 7 February 2011 02:54

Being a huge fan of Stanley Kubrick, I was really anxious about seeing this movie. Eventually, there were definitely many things to enjoy here. First of all, the whole thing looked great, something always expected when Steven Spielberg is directing. Furthermore, I was rather captivated by the story and the cast was pretty good (Haley Joel Osment, Frances O'Connor, Jude Law, William Hurt). But unfortunately, it wasn't really great after all, I'm afraid. Indeed, basically, you miss the Kubrick touch, which means going the extra mile into the human psyche making this movie a real masterpiece. Instead, they always remained in the Spielberg comfort zone, with some great visuals but also with a weak, over-sentimental fluffy story. Eventually, my mistake is that I went there expecting a Kubrick feature but I got a Spielberg movie so I guess it was rather unfair from me. It is like comparing '2001' and 'E.T.'. I mean, in my case, I think that 'E.T.' is a nice little movie but it never came near the level of such a masterpiece like '2001'. To conclude, I have to admit that even though I was rather disappointed, it remains a very well made and intriguing SF flick and it is definitely worth a look, especially if you like the genre.

Natural Brilliance

Posted : 9 years, 9 months ago on 6 November 2008 01:43

Given the fact that this is a Spielberg film, the young protagonist's acting made it more super dramatic to watch. I really like Osment as a kid and how I wish he had stopped growing after seeing this. I'm really not into android films but this is an exception. Jude Law was good-looking. But he still sucks as an actor. Hahaha.

A Very Fun Film.*

Posted : 10 years, 1 month ago on 3 July 2008 02:56

I highly enjoyed this film and the idea of it. It was much different from any other science fiction films I have seen, and I was greatly surprised. I enjoyed the film from beginning to end. Yes, it was a little off beat, and quite strange, but I personally highly enjoyed this one. Not one of Spielberg's best, but it is worth a watch.

Interesting but underwhelming.

Posted : 10 years, 3 months ago on 28 April 2008 06:39

"Please make me a real boy?"

Unfortunately, it seems that A.I. is Spielberg's weakest hour. But that's not to say that this Kubrick-style sci-fi production is bad; because the premise is excellent, but the film takes a few too many wrong turns.

A.I. is set many years into the future when the polar ice caps have melted and coastal cities are underwater. Presenting us with a dystopian vision of the future, we follow a group of scientists who develop highly advanced mechanoids. The science team decide that they should develop and design a robotic child with the ability to love.

The result produces an artificial child named David (Osment) who is adopted into a reluctant suburban family. David learns to love his "mother" Monica (O'Connor), but unforeseen consequences with David result in his abandonment. Being inspired by the story of Pinocchio, David sets out to find the Blue Fairy to make him a real child and put an end to the barriers between man and machine that caused the troubles in the first place.

The first half of the film sets everything up brilliantly; it's very well scripted and contains some highly creative concepts. But alas as things get too fanciful, long, and exceedingly more dull it results in this mediocre product.

Steven Spielberg's directing was superb like always and strong from start to finish. But despite this strong direction the film still suffers greatly into the second half like I previously stated.

The film holds a heavy reliance on the performance by young Osment. He is capable of establishing himself as a robot due to being emotionless at times. This is a rare case when the robotic nature of an actor is actually a positive. But then again it seems the filmmakers relied too heavily on Osment looking cute in order for us to empathise with him. But the biggest flaw in the film as a whole was the concluding 20 minutes. Not only are these final minutes highly unnecessary, but they're also just plain stupendous.

One of the film's strengths was in the fantastic score provided by none other than John Williams. Whenever he works with Spielberg he manages to produce some extraordinary tracks of music.

The visual effects are nothing but the finest in such an ambitious project. The mechanoids actually feel quite genuine and looked very impressive. Visually, the film is extremely eye-catching.

At the end of the day, A.I. is an extremely underwhelming film from one of the world's finest directors. It seemed that all the proper ingredients were present; good cast, legendary director, celebrated composer. But somewhere during the moviemaking method I feel that they lost the plot and ended up creating a highly average, albeit visually impressive film. Robin Williams, Chris Rock and Meryl Streep appear uncredited for use of their voices.